Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast

Re: Why is Discipline supposedly more fun than Holy?

at holy priests being condescending. Both trees are easy enough to heal with and just have slightly different healing styles. Since recent patches Disc goes OOM a little easier, but its still not a huge problem.

Its basically Penance, its just too sexy for holy priests. ;D

Yeah I have to say I haven't found Holy much more harder to play than Discipline. It has it's moments. I barely have mana problems as Holy. I'm farely sure it's because I ditched the GHeal usage and the Flash Heal spam. I get far more SoL and Holy Concentration procs the way I play now so that's probably why. My throughput is amazing still too.

EX - <PIE CHART> US TOP 10 Check 'em out http://piechart-guild.com/

Quote Originally Posted by G l o w y r m
    Yeah I have to say I haven't found Holy much more harder to play than Discipline. It has it's moments. I barely have mana problems as Holy. I'm farely sure it's because I ditched the GHeal usage and the Flash Heal spam. I get far more SoL and Holy Concentration procs the way I play now so that's probably why. My throughput is amazing still too.
    Renew is a wonderful spell for that, true story.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

My main spec is Discipline, I've been holy for about 3 years, and it's still my 2nd spec.

Holy used to be more fun, when you had to play with downranking GH and the FSR. But I do like holy more since it's more challenging and it's more e-peen (healing done is crazy, just like the HPS).
    I like being discipline, since it's great for the raid (every raid should run at least 1 disc priest), and disc is easier, no mana issues.

But every raid I try to go holy for at least one fight (Thorim is a good one, or Kologarn), since it's fun.

I just love holy because it fills every niche. Holy shines at raid heals but can also easily step into the MT healing slot. I always just feel more in control of the situation as holy, as you can watch over the whole raid and heal a few dps, throw a fast gheal on the struggling tank, switch back for a CoH on the idiots who got hit by falling snow, etc.
    When i went disc i felt i was limited on penance CD, just cuz fheal hit like a little girl compared to holy. Spamming shields on low DPS just makes another healer have to do the work of topping him back off.

mark my words, when blizzard decides to modify the way combat log works so that absorbs are tracked properly, and you start seeing all the abosrbs numbers floating up from your scrolling combat text... WEEE.

I do more effective health nurturing than most holy priests. My total healing done and total absorbs puts me above holy priests.

(glyphed) Guardian Spirit is a key talent in main tank healing, i wonder why it's in the holy tree. I have both disc and holy specs. i usually raid as disc because our raid doesn't have a holy paladin for mt healing, but i constantly switch to holy and can't say that one is more fun than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by lustikus
    (glyphed) Guardian Spirit is a key talent in main tank healing, i wonder why it's in the holy tree. I have both disc and holy specs. i usually raid as disc because our raid doesn't have a holy paladin for mt healing, but i constantly switch to holy and can't say that one is more fun than the other.
    Because you have Pain Suppression, and PwS and DA and alot more sweet thingies. And if they r not enough to save your tank from dieing and you need to use Guardian Spirit that means that one of you fail. Either tank or you.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Aileme
    Because you have Pain Suppression, and PwS and DA and alot more sweet thingies. And if they r not enough to save your tank from dieing and you need to use Guardian Spirit that means that one of you fail. Either tank or you.
    While true to an extend, they should do away with the 5% aggro loss on pain suppression. 5% aggro loss can amount to the tank losing aggro in let's say Mimiron first phase, or General Vezax. Pain Suppression every cooldown does kinda add up on the aggro loss, especially on sensitive bossfights.

On top of that, 5% less aggro on a DPSer who pulled aggro from the tank won't give the aggro back to the tank usually because the DPSer had to have much more than 105% tank aggro to pull it in the first place.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    While true to an extend, they should do away with the 5% aggro loss on pain suppression. 5% aggro loss can amount to the tank losing aggro in let's say Mimiron first phase, or General Vezax. Pain Suppression every cooldown does kinda add up on the aggro loss, especially on sensitive bossfights.

On top of that, 5% less aggro on a DPSer who pulled aggro from the tank won't give the aggro back to the tank usually because the DPSer had to have much more than 105% tank aggro to pull it in the first place.
    I use PS on MT in Mimi fight to survive Plasma Blast. No loss of aggro =)
    Dont need to use it every cooldown=) i just heal and shield thats all

15+ Year Old Account

I use PS on MT in Mimi fight to survive Plasma Blast. No loss of aggro =)
    Dont need to use it every cooldown=) i just heal and shield thats all
    Yeah on Mimi it could only be a problem for the first Plasma Blast when the tank is still building aggro. But on Vezax 5% aggroloss could very much be a wipe with the amount of damage casterrs output on him.

And as I said, 5% less aggro doesn't really serve any purpose besides being a disadvantage when cast on a tank.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Tryed Vezax in 10 man - downed to 10% - never used PS actually could just outheal dmg.

15+ Year Old Account

Tryed Vezax in 10 man - downed to 10% - never used PS actually could just outheal dmg.
    Hardmode?

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    Hardmode?
    Naaah...not that pro yet =)))

tbh, both specs are fun to play, and all 25m raids should have one of each because of the things they bring.

Disc really shines in the 25m hardmodes of thorim, vezax, and freya. On thorim, pw:s, DA, PS, insp, and renewed hope really come in handy when he starts getting 10+ stacks of the buff, since he can and will insta-gib your tanks. not to mention throwin shields to low raid members so they don't die to the chain lightning/frost volley/frostbolt/frost nova combos that so often happen. On vezax hardmode, the efficiency is huge, pw:s is the only healer type spell that gets all the benefits of the shadowcrashes without any of the detractors. (in theory you'd have infinite mana since rapture would refund more than the cost of the spell while in shadowcrashes). And penance is the all time greatest spell for keeping insp on the tank, since you get 3 chances to proc a crit for the cost of 1 heal. for freya, again all the buffs from thorim, and also being able to shield people who may be low enough to die from ground tremor, sunbeam, etc.

Holy is great too. Speaking from personal experience, the raid damage going on during the hardmodes of freya, deconstructor, hodir, steelbreaker, and thorim; is pretty intense to say the least. And minimizing the number of healers you bring to these fights, to meet dps reqs, makes holy priests all the more valuable.

15+ Year Old Account

Discipline has it all. Instant, casting and channel What more can you ask?

Discipline is more fun because it feels like a dps race on friendly targets, some Priests will get what I mean. You're always casting instants and rotating between cooldowns (Penance), procs (DA) and debuffs duration (WS) to gain efficiency. Where Holy would throw Flash Heals everywhere while using CoH each cooldown and keeping Renew here and there, Disc is a race based on PW:S into Penance+FH combos on your MT, while saving people with smartly used instant shields and enjoying 6-8k FH crits with the satisfaction of knowing that the healed target benefits from a fat bubble to improve other healers' margin of error.

Quote Originally Posted by Astyan
    Discipline is more fun because it feels like a dps race on friendly targets, some Priests will get what I mean. You're always casting instants and rotating between cooldowns (Penance), procs (DA) and debuffs duration (WS) to gain efficiency. Where Holy would throw Flash Heals everywhere while using CoH each cooldown and keeping Renew here and there, Disc is a race based on PW:S into Penance+FH combos on your MT, while saving people with smartly used instant shields and enjoying 6-8k FH crits with the satisfaction of knowing that the healed target benefits from a fat bubble to improve other healers' margin of error.
    Your post is almost making me want to level my 40 priest.
    Healing AV/Raids with addons that lose their transparency when people near me go below 95% is sweet!
    Everyone who plays WoW should give that a try.

cause it has bubbles and lazers

Quote Originally Posted by Astyan

So...Discipline is "an awesome way of timing Penance, DA, PW:S and its debuff, casting constantly for a "dps race on friendly targets".
    And Holy is just "A sucky FHspam with CoH every cd and Renew here and there".

What if:

Discipline would be "a boring spam of PW:S, a casual proc of DA, and spamming Penance every CD".
    And Holy is "An awesome timing of Serendipity with PoH, sniping FH's through SoL, mastering the use of CoH at the right target, and renewing only when needed".

?

COHERENCE. FUCKING COHERENCE.

You can't just say what you want to see, and denigrate the other spec simply because you didn't like it or some Holy Priests recently slapped you.

Just try to be realistic and impartial and judge the 2 specs correctly, not the way you did, or either the way I showed you, that could be done by a Holy lover.