Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How To: Retribution Raiding Guide

http://ferarro.blogspot.com/2009/05/...n-raiding.html

Took me a while, but I finally got around to finishing the Retribution section of my guides. This final piece should take you through the last steps you need before you venture out into Ulduar on your own. From gemming, to enchanting, to stat priorities and rotations, I think I covered all the bases. I posted it here, because if I missed anything, feel free to let me know via emails or comments. Mmo-champion readers tend to be a bit wiser than most official Paladin forum folk, and the quality of information and feedback is often much higher.

Thanks for all your help! And keep reading!

~ Ferarro

15+ Year Old Account

Re: How To: Retribution Raiding Guide

and timing AW with Heroism and Bloodlust
    i hope you mean not using them together, since they dont stack anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by iktankniet
    i hope you mean not using them together, since they dont stack anymore.
    how does +20% damage and +30% attack speed not stack?

15+ Year Old Account

Classes: General

* Armor Penetration Rating: All classes now receive 25% more benefit from Armor Penetration Rating.
    * The damage threshold for Fear, Psychic Scream, Hex, Intimidating Shout, and Turn Evil to break early has been significantly reduced.
    * Haste Rating: shamans, paladins, druids, and death knights now receive 30% more melee haste from Haste Rating.
    * Hysteria, Tricks of the Trade, Enrage, Wrecking Crew, Death Wish, Arcane Power, Owlkin Frenzy, Beast Within, and Avenging Wrath damage bonuses no longer stack together.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/patchnotes/

edit
    hmm wierd..thought bloodlust as in the list also. i know i've read it somewhere. cant seem to find it atm.

I think you're mistaken. Bloodlust still stacks with AW because they're two different types of buffs. All damage enhancing spells are now changed so they do not stack with each other. Bloodlust only provides haste and thus, is not in that list.

15+ Year Old Account

seems im wrong indeed. im pretty sure i read it somewhere, just cant figure out where it was. ahwell...

He is right, it used to say that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Copain
    He is right, it used to say that.
    so i was right, but they changed it?

ty Copain. now im sure im not crazy

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by iktankniet
    so i was right, but they changed it?

ty Copain. now im sure im not crazy
    Crazy? Nah.

Insane? Maybe.

Nice blog, and very well written!
    Should be quite informative for someone starting raiding, imo.

No lolz or obviously blatant mistakes, got humor, nice. Must be a fake

or it shows anything can (still) happen on the internet
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...fknight/simple
    Can Heal, Tank, DPS, and go AFK like no other.

15+ Year Old Account

Only thing I can think to add would be on the topic of Consumables, but outside of that the guide is pretty sound. Once again, great job ^^b

ah, found something i disagree on, thou : DS/G.
    i have about 20k health, so that's a 30K shield. while it looks impressive on paper, if i have to burn a bubble to heal something i can achieve with a simple HL crit cast, meh.

Ok, 1000+ healing accross the raid isn't exactly the same as 20K on tank + 10% in 8', but still.

Looks useless to me, unless i'm making a mistake?.

I am sure it was a mistake on Blizzard's part, hence why it was changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulbender
    ah, found something i disagree on, thou : DS/G.
    i have about 20k health, so that's a 30K shield. while it looks impressive on paper, if i have to burn a bubble to heal something i can achieve with a simple HL crit cast, meh.

Ok, 1000+ healing accross the raid isn't exactly the same as 20K on tank + 10% in 8', but still.

Looks useless to me, unless i'm making a mistake?.
    DS/G is a great talent. It isn't game breaking but great. I use it twice on XT-002 simple to help the raid. Does it hurt my DPS a tad? Yes, but it helps the healers out a lot. (Bubble+DS a Tantrum and then HoP+DS another Tantrum). Can you raid without it? Yes. Will you raid leader and healers like you more if you have it? Yes. There isn't really any other utility you can pick up with the crap points anyways.

15+ Year Old Account

I was hoping for something new and original in this guide. Just everything that any self respecting paladin should already no.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Quote Originally Posted by Krekko
    I was hoping for something new and original in this guide. Just everything that any self respecting paladin should already no.
    It is written for new Ret paladins........but I guess you missed that...........it wasn't in the first paragraph or anything. /sarcasm

For one, you have more than enough points for it. And two, saving the entire raid from 40% of all damage for ten full seconds is a godsend for bosses that have a lot of AoE damage like XT, Kologarn, Hodir, etc.
    I have to point out that it isn't 40% of all damage for ten full seconds. It is 40% per person in range up to a maximum of 150% of your HP. With the AoE damage in Ulduar, this goes extremely quickly. Far sooner than ten seconds. Nor does if help people that are out of its range.

That isn't to say it isn't a great ability to use. Just not as great as you make it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Krekko
    You wont believe how many paladins are doing it wrong
    I started the Book of Faces moving
    Was involved in the RP Invasion

/Brofisting Vol'Jin

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Kuthumii

I have to point out that it isn't 40% of all damage for ten full seconds. It is 40% per person in range up to a maximum of 150% of your HP. With the AoE damage in Ulduar, this goes extremely quickly. Far sooner than ten seconds. Nor does if help people that are out of its range.
    I know this has been discussed before, but since its part of a beginner guide forum post....

1.) Because it absorbs per person 40% in range, effectively everyone (but hunters and maybe a few Mages or Warlocks) should be in range.

2.) The maximum amount ABSORBED is capped at 150% of your health. If you use DS before DS/G, any amount absorbed is reduced to zero..... in other words, DS/G takes in the amount of damage, and makes a DShield check. If DShield is up, the Shield absorbs that damage and the amount Absorbed by DS/G is 0. If it is not present (it fails the DShield check), then the amount done eats off your health and is subtracted from the total. Think of it as a formula:

DS/G Duration is True if [ Damage Taken / ( Maximum Health*1.5 ) ] < 1

Because the Damage taken is 0 (damage done to your Health is prevented), the formula becomes 0 < 1 which keeps the buff up.

3.) It does not stack with HoSacrifice, I.E. you can not absorb 80% damage from one person with both HoSacrifice and DS/G.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    2.) The maximum amount ABSORBED is capped at 150% of your health. If you use DS before DS/G, any amount absorbed is reduced to zero.....
    can you give your source? if true, that's essentially worth zero... except perhaps as holy.

If i see ok, you cast DG, then spam heal yourself. Essentially gives a 150% hp aoe heal.
    In that case also, especially on XT, i'd spam heal HL.

As retrib, i see even less the use if shield isn't possible!

I was confused, i'm now lost. Time for some EJ surfing :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Kuthumii
    It is written for new Ret paladins........but I guess you missed that...........it wasn't in the first paragraph or anything. /sarcasm

That isn't to say it isn't a great ability to use. Just not as great as you make it out to be.
    like someone said above me, the buff stays up until 150% of your health is absorbed. so if you have your bubble up, the incoming damage doesnt affect your health, therefore divine sacrifice stays up to mitigate 40% the full 10 second duration. i just did this on gluths decimate twice tonight, worked like a charm. its as good as advertised.