question about Hodir hard mode + seal of martyr/blood = recoil of omg

3:45'37.594 Oceanfly Judgement of the Martyr hits Oceanfly for 9159 Holy.
    3:46'27.297 Proph Judgement of the Martyr hits Proph for 10712 Holy.

So basically after seein this ive got this question. How other ret pala's deal with this situation ? =]

After some thinkin and checkin logs ive noticed that martyr seal does like 33%+ of total damage. so basically cant swap it out. So i guess will have to use it and have eyes open for big recoils.

Any other thoughts?

Re: question about Hodir hard mode + seal of martyr/blood = recoil of omg

In fights like this, if we have healers who aren't prepared to handle this, the Ret Pallies use Seal of Command.

Yes they deal less DPS. No, noone cares, because we still kill the boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].

agreed

It sucks to gimp your deeps with command, but if the healers can't take martyr/blood, it's necessary. For 10 naxx Loatheb I have to use command also. Sometimes the pally healer lets me keep blood and beacons me

I just tend to put my instant cast FoLs to use.. if I do get low there's always healthstones, 2 bubbles and lay on hands to use..

All our rets and prots spec for divine sacrifice, so if we do have to bubble, we hit divine sac too to absorb any raid damage since it'll be 5 minutes until we can do it again, may as well not waste it

Quote Originally Posted by oceanfly
    3:45'37.594 Oceanfly Judgement of the Martyr hits Oceanfly for 9159 Holy.
    3:46'27.297 Proph Judgement of the Martyr hits Proph for 10712 Holy.

So basically after seein this ive got this question. How other ret pala's deal with this situation ? =]

After some thinkin and checkin logs ive noticed that martyr seal does like 33%+ of total damage. so basically cant swap it out. So i guess will have to use it and have eyes open for big recoils.

Any other thoughts?
    Judgement = 33% recoil damage
    Seal = 10% recoil damage

You should be seeing far more % of damage from Seal of the Martyr instead of Judgement of the Martyr.

and I must not be getting enough of the NPC buffs, as I don't think I've seen my Judgements crit for that hard. Haven't really been paying too close attention to it, but I think the highest I've seen was an 19k CS.

Does Command do more dps than Corruption?

No command does NOT do more Dps than Corruption/Blood.

and to the OP, try putting/keeping Sacred shield up on yourself, it's not much mitigation but it can be enough to give you that extra breathing room. Also the 6% bonus crit on FoL ties in nicely with the Art of War proc, which can let you get a decent Rolling SoL HoT going on yourself... which helps offset a LOT of that damage.

just my 2 cents

I shove Sacred shield on myself for most fights if there's a holy pala to keep it on the tank. Never see serious issues with my health

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Gruscovac
    No command does NOT do more Dps than Corruption/Vengeance.

and to the OP, try putting/keeping Sacred shield up on yourself, it's not much mitigation but it can be enough to give you that extra breathing room. Also the 50% bonus crit on FoL ties in nicely with the Art of War proc, which can let you get a decent Rolling SoL HoT going on yourself... which helps offset a LOT of that damage.

just my 2 cents
    Fix'd for clarity and correctness

You can just throw judgement down the priority list while Frozen Blows is on, taken consecrate out for the same time
    Use the time for Divine Plea and refreshing SS etc. basically go more defensive
    You'll still do more dps than another seal but you won't end up getting 1 shot by a frozen blows + judgement

Quote Originally Posted by Copain
    In fights like this, if we have healers who aren't prepared to handle this, the Ret Pallies use Seal of Command.

Yes they deal less DPS. No, noone cares, because we still kill the boss.
    If your healers can't handle 10k damage...you should really look into getting new ones.
    3930K . RIVE . 2x 7970 . Cosmos II . AX1200 . 3x Dell U2312hm
    Computer Setup / DH / huntard

Quote Originally Posted by Kristie
    If your healers can't handle 10k damage...you should really look into getting new ones.
    10k every 8/7 seconds? why would you make your healers even try. odds are you'll die eventually.

I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Sinders

Keep up JoL, Sacred Shield and use instant FoL on yourself when low. Should make your healers life easier.
    This space is available for rent!

Have any1 try using Seal of Vengence thought i should for tonight hodir.but Seal of Blood is still usefull been using it through and through

15+ Year Old Account

Seal of Blood/Martyr all the way.

and

Quote Originally Posted by gringo
    Keep up JoL, Sacred Shield and use instant FoL on yourself when low.

We bring 4 healers to this fight, one of them being a Disc Priest who almost exclusively spams dispels and I've not died there to recoil damage ever :d if your raid doesn't suck at not standing in icicles, there's very little raid damage to worry about, at any rate the recoil is covered by JoL / Leader of the Pack, and maybe a renew or a rejuv from a friendly healer. It's a minor nuisance, nothing more than that.

Frozen Blows should only be the major problem to raids member..any1 that damage themselve from flash freeze or icicle will take alot of damage which in most cases some will.while other move he uses will hit the raid group as normal

Quote Originally Posted by Mysmere
    10k every 8/7 seconds? why would you make your healers even try. odds are you'll die eventually.
    Pre-3.1 Thaddius pretty much every ret paladin was judging for 25k(taking 8k every 7sec) and healers never had a problem healing through that.

You're not going to be taking 10k+ recoil for every judgement on Hodir; the only time it happens is if you have the shaman buff and even then it's easily healed through by one shaman chain healing melee...
    3930K . RIVE . 2x 7970 . Cosmos II . AX1200 . 3x Dell U2312hm
    Computer Setup / DH / huntard

As a holy paladin, 10k damage is basically 1 holy shock crit, which after looking at recount seems to be critting 50% of the time, so it isn't a big deal if it's one or two ret paladins taking the damage

but it does become a problem say, if you pop trinkets and cooldowns during frozen blows, when raid healing is required

so my suggestion would be to either shield yourself, and throw up art of war whenever possible, or just use seal of corruption/command if you've specced into it
    (i know alot of people don't actually spec into seal of command because blood has been proven to be better in almost all circumstances)