Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Any hints on Hodir hard mode (10 man)

break the mage out and shaman if you can... then DPS the boss... ignore the other npc
    It's just a game.

1 tank, 2 healers, rest dps, dont help priest in iceblock, dps stay always close to fire, when there is beam next to fire stay in it, also all try to stay in 2 camps (melee and range)

Quote Originally Posted by det
    Thats clearly a fair comparision of how melee and casters do on the fight when your casters have 70%+ uptime of Storm Power and melee have 0-1% uptime...

My 10-man's last run at Hodir took us 2 mins, 21 seconds.

Raid comp:
    Unholy DK
    Ret Pally
    Combat Rogue (me)
    Enhance Shammy
    Prot Warrior
    Marks Hunter
    Shaddow Priest
    Fire Mage
    Balance Druid
    Resto Druid

Now, our resto druid is insane and manages to solo heal this fight with some help from the ret pally and shaman totem.

The rogue (me), the priest, the hunter, and the paladin all scored about the same on DPS, right around 9k, while the rest fell in the 7-8k range.

Basically, we break out the mage NPC, then shaman. The druid and priest are freed by the mage's attack and incidental damage.

The raid stays close together so that lightning buffs can be passed around quickly, focus is made to stand in the moonlights, and effort is made to avoid the falling ice chunks, while the ranged all seek to find a moonlight next to a fire, something that happened often during this attempt.

It's important that the tank has very good threat generation, obviously, so he should be a priority for receiving the lightning buff, and MDs/Tricks should be used on every cooldown, as well as all threat dumping abilities of the raid.

In our case, the SPriest had to hold back a lot to avoid going over threat, hence why he wasn't top DPS, sadly.

As others have said, the main thing is to stack as much buff as you can.

The one thing that hasn't been mentioned is an an add-on call PowerAuras. This addon basically shows you in graphical context when you get a buff, and is customizable. Thus it can show you when you get the storm cloud buff. Most times, at least for me, with the fight the way it is, it was hard to know when I got the buff and as thus when exactly to jump in a light. Taking the time to go through my buff bar to find out if I did with the 10-15+ buffs on the bar is timing consuming. Sure it might only take 5 secs, or whatever, but that's time that should be spent dpsing, especially in hardmode.

This add-on drastically increased my dps and stormcloud uptime significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Yagamoth
    Try only freeing the mage and the shaman, somehow the other two npcs will get out aswell.

Other than that... Make sure, your DPS is aware of the fact, that they should mainly use attacks, that can crit. (for example - as a moonkin it's the best bet to only use starfire in the pillars, ignoring any procs, don't know about other dps classes)
    Make sure, your tank moves hodir near the light-pillars and try to have near 100% DPS uptime.
    Your excessive, and seemingly, random use, of, commas, confuses,,,, me.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77
    If your shaman & priest aren't doing at least combined 25% of your raid dmg then you have a problem. That fight is all about your caster dps. Your melee should ALWAYS break out iceblocks which allows the two dps that will get you that kill back on him to kill him faster. If your melee gets the buff they need to run it to your casters first then back to your melee. In 10 man on my priest I pull an average of 9k dps and our mage/lock/boomkin/shaman pull 10-12k. Melee pretty much get screwed on that fight because the buffs benefit your casters more than melee. Our druid spams starfire just like he does on General. One of my RL friends in the guild actually goes arcane just for Hodir because he loves seeing 65k arcane blast crits fly by on his screen. Also you better make sure that your tank has high threat making abilities otherwise your ranged will pull off of him if they get all 3 buffs on them (which they should have at all times if you want to do 10 man hard mode).

From what I gather, you guys are good at pushing hard fast dps with no outside buffs because you say you have a 2:30 Ignis. The problem is Ignis dps is purely based on YOUR ability to pump out dps yourself. Hodir is all about managing random buffs to boost your dmg otherwise you won't get him down before he shatters.

Also, all of these people saying to have your ranged break out the iceblocks are ignorant. Priests have no burst dmg while your shaman does. Your ranged is who will get you that kill not your melee so you want your ranged back on Hodir asap while your melee that should be below all casters on dmg meters should be breaking out iceblocks. I'd suggest having the 2 between the druid, rogue, and pally break them out because they are more bursty than the others (also the iceblocks are concidered "all behind" so the druid can go to town on them as can a rogue).
    If you have ranged, yes. However, in our 10 man, we run Hodir 10 man with 3 healers, 1 tank, and 5 melee DPS, and 1 Hunter, and never fail to do hard mode. Granted, we only USE 3 healers because none of them really like to DPS all that much and have 2 healing specs, but I digress. The Hunter's always low because 9/10 she's the one that gets Storm Cloud and just runs to the melee to give it to them. We usually kill him with highest melee DPS around 10.9 and lowest near 8K~. It would more than likely be even higher if we actually had a Shaman in the 10 man crew.

Just because casters get more out of the buffs doesn't mean they're the only ones that can get this kill. In 25 man? More than likely yes, but not in 10 man.