Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Professions for my Rogue

I have been working on my rogue and trying to get him to 80 before the patch. I was wondering what professions I should use to make my rogue preform to the best of the class ability.

I am already 200 LW and 300 SK.

Any advice would help....

Whiteyz

Re: Professions for my Rogue

Any?

Any thing would help?

Whiteyz

I suggest you read the other hundreds thread where people asked and answered the same type of question using the search tool ^^
    Why Not ^^

You should really learn to read. But I'm here anyway so I'll answer it.

LW will make life significantly cheaper. Leg enchants are about 300g. LW leg enchants are about 10g for equivalent.

Best two professions to have though right now are BS/JC. Post patch I'm pretty sure they're all the same AEP. ie. BS/LW/JC etc. Gathering professions are just straight out shit.

The post above hit it dead on.

JC - Top profession
    BS - Follows JC closely, as it allows more gems.

Tailoring - Likely better than the rest but worse than JC/BS. Check out EJ forums for an in-depth explanation on this one.

LW - Standard
    Insc - Standard
    Ench - Standard

Engineering - This has potential to be the best if you're willing to spend the gold on mats. If you use everything one CD once it is off CD this pulls ahead to the top, but due to the shaky nature and player interaction required it will probably still be relatively poor for PvE (since most professions provide passive buffs opposed to Eng which requires a lot of user action). However, this does have the added benefit of being the potentially *best* prof for PvE while also being very good for PvP.

Thanks guys, all the advice is great.

Whiteyz

Skinning + Leatherworking is a Rogues Best Friend.

Skinning = Crit Bonus
    Leatherworking = ...Well you as hell ain't wearing anything else are you? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Zakkon
    Skinning + Leatherworking is a Rogues Best Friend.

Skinning = Crit Bonus
    Leatherworking = ...Well you as hell ain't wearing anything else are you? :P
    But would the epic gems from JC and the ability to use googles/bad ass glove enchant from eng be the best option?

the only professions a real rogue needs are vanishing and putting videos of it on youtube
    Tehwarlord/Tehspymaster of Teh Uber Fun BakeryParty, Azgalor-US(H)
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Azgalor&n=Tehwarlord

Possibly, yes.

But with engineering you need to use all your tools on cooldown.

The engineering mask is really not all that hot, especially compared to other available options. With Emblems of Conquest becoming widely available next patch, there is no reason to not wait and then purchase the t8.25man helm, which is one of the best in game even without tier 8 bonus.

LW and JC are very good in terms of practicality, or JC and Ench. JC + BS is practical, and the best from a PvE perspective. For PvP, maybe JC and Eng (I don't PvP all to much).

Quote Originally Posted by whitey235
    Any?

Any thing would help?

Whiteyz
    So, we now know the stats on the new professions - lets take a look at how they stack up.

Alchemy: 80 AP.
    Blacsksmithing: 2 epic gems, at 40 AP or 20 of any other stat, meaning your choice of 80 AP or 40 of stat-of-choice (usually Agi or ArPen).
    Enchanting: 80 AP.
    Herbalism: More healing, handy for questing and soloing stuff, I suppose, but useless in raids.
    JC: New Dragon Eyes are 68 AP/34 stat of choice, an upgrade of 28/14 over epic gems; thus, the total benefit is 84 AP and/or 42 of stat of choice.
    Leatherworking: 80 AP
    Mining: 60 sta
    Skinning: 40 crit rating

So, among the easily-valued professions, we have a pretty obvious hierarchy:

1. JC: 84, or more if there's a stat with EP > 2.
    2. BS: 80, or more if there's a stat with EP > 2.
    T3. Enchanting: 80
    T3. Inscription: 80
    T3. Leatherworking: 80
    T3. Alchemy: 80

Okay, so what about the two that are a bit harder to assess? Where do they fit in?

Well, Tailoring gives Swordguard Embroidery, which has a 45 second internal cooldown and a 25% proc rate; thus, un average, it's going to proc about once every 47 seconds, giving it uptime right around 32%; thus, the average-case benefit is 400 * .32 = 128 AP or so. Compare this to the best available alternative, which would be 22 agi for most of us, which has a value right around 45 EP. So the overall benefit is right around 83 EP - give or take. In practice, it might be slightly higher than this, as the proc will tend to align pretty well with your trinket procs, leading to some degree of synergy. Note, however, that as the value of agility increases (and it probably will, with time), this margin will be eroded somewhat.

Engineering, on the other hand, gives a multitude of benefits which we're going to have to add up:

1) Hyperspeed Accelerators now give 20% uptime on 340 haste rating, or 68 average-case haste; this works out to a benefit around 91 EP for Mutilate and 101 for combat; compared to the baseline glove enchant which is 44 EP for both, the benefit is roughly 47 EP for Mutilate and 57 EP for combat.

2) Flexweave Underlay is 1 agi better than the regular cloak enchant. 2 EP for both.

3) Nitro boosts are now identical to Icewalker, with the added benefit of boost movement at need; in an ideal fight, where they can be used on every cooldown, these reduce transit time by 2.5 seconds once every 3 minutes; 1 second of DPS in in the neighborhood of 7000 damage for most of us, so we're looking at something like 17500 bonus damage every 180 seconds, which is a full 100 DPS benefit, right?

Well, no. Because in practice the number of fights on which you need to to move far enough to get the full 2.5 second benefit, and need to do so more often than you can with sprint, are few and far between. The only fight in Ulduar where I can see getting full benefit from them is Yogg phase 2; one can argue you receive partial benefit on Mim, XT Hard, and some modes of Iron Council, but it's definitely the exception and not the rule. And even in those cases, it's only during certain phases, so in reality you'll use them once a fight at most in the majority of cases. So a more realistic assessment is, perhaps, 2 seconds of movement saved across a 10 minute fight, which works out to more like 20 DPS, which is around 25 EP. And on most fights, it will be less than that. So we're looking at, average case, perhaps 10 EP, I would argue.

Finally, we have bombs. A bomb does 1325 base damage, increased 13% by raid buffs, reduced by 6% due to resists, and increased by around 15% due to spell crit. Thus, we estimate the average damage in reality is around 1600; with a 60 sec cooldown, this works out to around 27 DPS, which is somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 EP if used on cooldown.

Thus, the total theoretical benefit of engineering is around 47 + 2 + 10 + 30 = 89 for Mutilate, and 99 for Combat... assuming you use everything on cooldown. If, however, you are consistently 5 seconds late on using Hyperspeed Accelerators, or don't feel like burning through a hundred bombs a night, or otherwise fail to use the profession to it's absolute fullest, it's value is somewhat lower. For instance, if you use bombs and accelerators every 65 seconds instead of every 60, the total benefit drops to 80/90; and every fight you skip using bombs entirely on drops engineering to the bottom of the heap.

So, in terms of optimal professions, what do we find? Well, if you're absolutely commited to using engineering, and use every single ability on cooldown on every fight - including going through very large numbers of bombs and putting up with a lot of extra cooldowns to keep track of - it's going to be the best profession, and thus the optimal pairing is JC/Eng.

However, for those people who aren't willing or able to put up with that level of crap on engineering, it's a weak profession; at that point, JC is the best, and either Tailoring or Blacksmithing will be second. In particular, if there's a stat who's EP value is 2.1 or higher, Blacksmithing is likely best; if not, Tailoring is probably the way to go. However, none of these professions have a significant advantage over LW, Enchanting, Inscription, or Alchemy, so I suspect a lot of rogues will not find it worthwhile to swap professions for the 2 DPS difference between professions.

JC/LW

Quote Originally Posted by heeps
    JC/LW
    obviously to lazy to read the post above.. but it clearly stats that Engi / JC is the best combo , if u can keep up the procs and bombs.

if not its JC / BS

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndrael
    However, none of these professions have a significant advantage over LW, Enchanting, Inscription, or Alchemy, so I suspect a lot of rogues will not find it worthwhile to swap professions for the 2 DPS difference between professions.
    Most important part. Short of the gathering professions, which are ideally on an alt of sorts, you really should go with what professions you want to have. They make them so close for a reason.

Alchemy could be a nice one too with the increased effect on the Haste pots... i think

Gearscore: A new way to see who fail at their class. 'Cause itemization is too hard... You need d/n-umbers.

alchemy is also nice since u dont have to refresh ur flasks as often and if ur a elixir master u get a chance to make more of them for less mats.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyess
    alchemy is also nice since u dont have to refresh ur flasks as often and if ur a elixir master u get a chance to make more of them for less mats.
    my Main is a priest atm with alch and herbalism, thinking bout making a troll rogue now (love that 3.2 troll racial buff) and lvling inscription (hate grinding daily quests sons of hodir) and enchanting. so on my m ain i can easily provide him with the herbs or greens for enchanting. and i can make him flasks for free

JC is the best profession, followed by BS.

JC L2USE SPREADSHEETS PLEASE or even www.shadowpanther.net Best rogue information source out there. Btw LW is only good for like 3 weeks until you get to naxx. Bracer enchant is alright but a bit over rated.

Prismatic GEMS are op

Quote Originally Posted by Nvaheal
    JC L2USE SPREADSHEETS PLEASE or even www.shadowpanther.net Best rogue information source out there. Btw LW is only good for like 3 weeks until you get to naxx. Bracer enchant is alright but a bit over rated.

Prismatic GEMS are op
    yeah, weeks before 3.2 that's great advise ;-)