Page 1 of 2
LastLast

targeting advice

Hi, sorry if that's a nub question.

I'm having problems to keep track of my target, especially on 25 raids. When there's a lot of spells, tons of shit in my screen, so the red circle for my target is hidden, problems to follow it / keep behind it. Any know of a mod or setting to get it display better?

On another track, when art of war procs i'd like either to exorcise (my hp are ok) or SS+Flash (relieve the pressure on the healers). Any addon to manage that better, or just L2P?
    I'm using zomgbuffs, but while it was adequate as healer (lots of slack) in a middle of a dps rotation it's harder, especially with new new reduced CS CD...

Thanks for any input!
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...fknight/simple
    Can Heal, Tank, DPS, and go AFK like no other.

Re: targeting advice

if you press "v" it will bring up the enemy health bars, i find them easier to identify

well, i see the bars ok. What i'm talking about is the targeting circle, and positioning yourself behind the mobs.

the bars have zero hitbox and no facing

I use PowerAuras to track Art of War. (because i often mess up exorcisms at the start )

10+ Year Old Account

Are you talking about the red circle that is placed on the ground that shows the hit box of a mob?
    Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz | MSI - Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | Corsair - Vengeance LED 32GB DDR4-3400 Memory | Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | Samsung - 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ACX 3.0 Video Card | Corsair - 850W ATX Power Supply | 2 x HP - Omen 27 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor | Microsoft - Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by Lassiat
    Are you talking about the red circle that is placed on the ground that shows the hit box of a mob?
    totally yes!!

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Soulbender

I'm having problems to keep track of my target, especially on 25 raids. When there's a lot of spells, tons of shit in my screen, so the red circle for my target is hidden, problems to follow it / keep behind it. Any know of a mod or setting to get it display better?

On another track, when art of war procs i'd like either to exorcise (my hp are ok) or SS+Flash (relieve the pressure on the healers). Any addon to manage that better, or just L2P?
    I'm using zomgbuffs, but while it was adequate as healer (lots of slack) in a middle of a dps rotation it's harder, especially with new new reduced CS CD...

Thanks for any input!
    I use Class Timers, simply because I also have a DK and an Aff Lock so I already have to keep track of 7 debuffs :P

Most of the time (if something is tanking the mob) you can easly get behind them- What mobs are you having trouble getting behind, specifically?

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Lassiat
    totally yes!!
    I use Bartender4, and if I am out of range on my CS (melee range) it shows the icon as a dark red- I simply move until it "lights up" and then I know I'm in Melee range- I as have it show icons and abilities as a dark blue for when Im out of mana.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    I use Bartender4, and if I am out of range on my CS (melee range) it shows the icon as a dark red- I simply move until it "lights up" and then I know I'm in Melee range- I as have it show icons and abilities as a dark blue for when Im out of mana.
    Afaik, that's standard UI now. The problem i have is, when spell details are up and 15 dps are happily dpsing the target with special effects, where's that damn circle?

not a problem with huge bosses, but let's say thorim arena, or any fast moving adds for that matter. If the melee icons are red, you have to move, but the adds rarely go in a straight line from you, bastards
    I'm looking for some 3D target or something (?)

15+ Year Old Account

Afaik, that's standard UI now. The problem i have is, when spell details are up and 15 dps are happily dpsing the target with special effects, where's that damn circle?

not a problem with huge bosses, but let's say thorim arena, or any fast moving adds for that matter. If the melee icons are red, you have to move, but the adds rarely go in a straight line from you, bastards
    I'm looking for some 3D target or something (?)
    Something like that I'm not sure: Maybe try to search Curse/WoWAce/etc for an addon that does something: Maybe makes your current target bar Green instead of red? Case in point, I don't think you'll beable to have an addon show you a Larger/Brighter circle: If Color is the issue then nothing else will work as Red is most appealing to your eye and will automatically draw it's attention to it.

15+ Year Old Account

Thanks for any input!
    In situations where I have issues seeing my target I use the bars over their heads to see which one I am on, and where they are.

Honestly though, sounds like you need a better UI and need to consolidate, and restructure yourself. You wont always get to see the red circle, and I do not believe there is an addon to highlight it more. Follow what above people have said, but consider reworking your UI to be more clean, and efficient.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Turn off NPC/Friendly name plates..

That way in PVP U only see red horde

That way in PVe you only see your target name bar

works a trick used to do it all the time when i was a rogue..

having clouds of blue/green/red namebars are horible in a raid turn that stuff off!

10+ Year Old Account

totally yes!!
    There is no addon for what you are asking. I don't even know if the UI allows something like that. If it did people would be able to make macros for say rogues that uses sinister strike from the front, but uses backstab from the back. You just gotta know where your tank is and where the rest of the melee are if you cant look at the mob and tell which way it is facing.
    Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz | MSI - Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | Corsair - Vengeance LED 32GB DDR4-3400 Memory | Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | Samsung - 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ACX 3.0 Video Card | Corsair - 850W ATX Power Supply | 2 x HP - Omen 27 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor | Microsoft - Windows 10 Home 64-bit

If you can see when abilities that require you to be in melee range are "reded" out and unavailable due to range, you should be able to fairly quickly change your position to where it lights up normally and is active.

The trick is simply experience, practice, knowing where your tank is, and where things are positioned while having a general sense of the distance required to melee while paying attention to feedback from your toolbars indicating that you are either in range or out.

Better players can do this instinctively and it is an acquired skill.

Protip:
    1. Put your low amount of combat spells all on the first bar. Put buffs on other bars
    2. Look at target (yes take your head off the keyboard)
    3. Watch your target as not to lose sight of him
    4. ???
    5. PROFIT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Copain
    Protip:
    1. Put your low amount of combat spells all on the first bar. Put buffs on other bars
    2. Look at target (yes take your head off the keyboard)
    3. Watch your target as not to lose sight of him
    4. ???
    5. PROFIT!
    It is a tad hard to do this in Thorim Arena (the example he gave).

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    It is a tad hard to do this in Thorim Arena (the example he gave).
    I do not know how hard it is for a Ret pally, and forgive me if I come off rude, but I do not believe it is any harder than palying a Prot. And as a person who clicks mostly, and does not have most of his tank spells key board bound, I do not lose sight of my targets and keep everyone alive on both ten and 25 mans. I can not say the same for hard mode though, have not bothered with it, trying to work on our Yogg seconed phase right now and have not been doing hard modes.

Edit: If this helps much, just turn down partical density and other effects, less stuff on you screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].

15+ Year Old Account

I do not know how hard it is for a Ret pally, and forgive me if I come off rude, but I do not believe it is any harder than palying a Prot. And as a person who clicks mostly, and does not have most of his tank spells key board bound, I do not lose sight of my targets and keep everyone alive on both ten and 25 mans. I can not say the same for hard mode though, have not bothered with it, trying to work on our Yogg seconed phase right now and have not been doing hard modes.
    Its is a tad different: You have to hunt down specific targets to kill first, and not just let them wail on you all at once- But in any "typical" situation (where you do not have 20 mobs on the screen at once), no, its not that hard.

You can use tab to quickly switch targets.
    You can use /distance *enter number here* to track your distance to nearby friendlies.
    you can also try to always face the tank (eg look him straight in the eyes)

My 2 cents, dunno if this will help though, have this problem myself too sometimes.

Btw, zooming out helps too, but it can make the game more boring since you dont see your character much.

15+ Year Old Account

Edit: If this helps much, just turn down partical density and other effects, less stuff on you screen.
    Protip:
    1. Kill Yogg before giving "Protips"