Dying Curse vs Shard of the Crystal Heart

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40255
    http://www.wowhead.com/?item=48722

I do not have rawr on this PC so I can't check myself. I am currently hit capped with dying curse but with the Shard I would have the space to switch out my belt / bracers and a few more items with hit once I acquire "hitless" items.
    What I am unsure about is which proc is a bigger dps increase. The one on use obviously has the merits of being controllable, but still...

Anyone who has rawr could just give me a rundown?
    You may now kiss the ring.

Re: Dying Curse vs Shard of the Crystal Heart

What spec(armory)? I think that is at least a bit important here.
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

TtW / Fireball spec, slipped my mind to include that.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...ncrest&n=Choda

voila.

In b4 HOLY SHIT ACCURSED SPINE.

Of course the Shard of the Crystal Heart is better. It got more base +hit, so you can take hit of other items + it got an on-use effect. You can time the on-use effect with heroism or other effects, like heart fase on XT or when Icehowl is stunned.

Quote Originally Posted by Tungland
    Of course the Shard of the Crystal Heart is better. It got more base +hit, so you can take hit of other items + it got an on-use effect. You can time the on-use effect with heroism or other effects, like heart fase on XT or when Icehowl is stunned.
    im pretty sure Auriaya drops something like this... http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45866 there it is, even tho its an on use effect (unlike this one from Auriaya) i still doubt it would be much better, that being Dying curse just provides so much spell power. of course i could be wrong here =/
    Quote Originally Posted by Fourty-two View Post
    "There must always be an Aspect of Death." As Nessingwary lifts up the chin of Deathwing to his face.

Quote Originally Posted by flammadeus
    im pretty sure Auriaya drops something like this... http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45866 there it is, even tho its an on use effect (unlike this one from Auriaya) i still doubt it would be much better, that being Dying curse just provides so much spell power. of course i could be wrong here =/
    I actually have the auriaya one.
    The reason I'm wondering is that I know that sp is the best dps increase stat and the curse has so much of it that I'm wondering that the quantity of it outweighs the fact that it's proc and only lasts 10s.

Seeing you already are using a hit trinket (as Tungland stated) the shard is better, since you can take away some of the hit you got on your other parts. The passive effect on Dying Curse is still quite awesome though, its a rather nice sp boost.

Personally I would get rid of hit trinkets (comes somewhat naturally with totc), but that is just a matter of opinion. You could use rawr to optimize it with the current gear/available gear you have, to get the pure numbers out of it.
    If its called Tourist season, why can't I shoot at them?

well for the best use of rawr if we could have a character name/realm i could tell you which is better, assuming you are only changing that one trinket =/
    "There must always be an Aspect of Death." As Nessingwary lifts up the chin of Deathwing to his face.

Quote Originally Posted by holkim
    Seeing you already are using a hit trinket (as Tungland stated) the shard is better, since you can take away some of the hit you got on your other parts. The passive effect on Dying Curse is still quite awesome though, its a rather nice sp boost.

Personally I would get rid of hit trinkets (comes somewhat naturally with totc), but that is just a matter of opinion. You could use rawr to optimize it with the current gear/available gear you have, to get the pure numbers out of it.
    Another thing I forgot to mention (Just woke up goddammit) is that I have eye of the broodmother and the moment I get the dagger from beasts 25 heroic I'm changing that back in. However that might take a while and with the shard I could switch in that cinch from faction champions I believe, or some bracers without hit.

well for the best use of rawr if we could have a character name/realm i could tell you which is better, assuming you are only changing that one trinket =/
    I gave you the armory in the third post.

rawr is showing that Dying Curse is better in most cases you said having, Blade of Tarasque, is about a 13 dps difference between Dying curse and shard, that being said if you get that blade it is saying that dying curse would still be better then eye of the broodmother only very slightly though.

It all comes down to the second attribute of the trinket. Proc Spellpower or On Use Haste.

I would take Proc Spellpower over Haste in any case or spec. Unless in the rare case where you need to burn something down so a little bit of haste would help (when you don't have heroism).

Although, the thing is that if you indeed take the trinket you will be swapping in new stuff which in the long run will increase your dps.

ATM I am 1% below the hit cap and usually pair with a goat and all's well. If you have that luxury, I suggest you keep the Curse and do the same.

Thanks Blizz for the hit-starving tier 9!

Quote Originally Posted by flammadeus
    rawr is showing that Dying Curse is better in most cases you said having, Blade of Tarasque, is about a 13 dps difference between Dying curse and shard, that being said if you get that blade it is saying that dying curse would still be better then eye of the broodmother only very slightly though.
    Thanks. Although the second data seems dodgy... I see no reason for going over the hit cap for 750sp proc instead of 125 passive spellpower + 85 crit...

It all comes down to the second attribute of the trinket. Proc Spellpower or On Use Haste.

I would take Proc Spellpower over Haste in any case or spec. Unless in the rare case where you need to burn something down so a little bit of haste would (when you don't have heroism).

Although, the thing is that if you indeed take the trinket you will be swapping in new stuff which in the long run will increase your dps.

ATM I am 1% below the hit cap and usually pair with a goat and all's well. If you have that luxury, I suggest you keep the Curse and do the same.

Thanks Blizz for the hit-starving tier 9!
    It's not that it's hit starved... It's simply the transition for t8 to t9 (and not just the set, the whole gear). The itemization is different. When we have t7->t8 I had the same problem but the other way around, too much hit. With the best gear I could muster up I had 430 hit at one point until I started switching stuff out. It's just a matter of re-organizing the stats.

15+ Year Old Account

Imo, go for the Dying Curse. You already have 605 haste so 500 haste will make that 18.5% a 24-25% which isn't such a HUGE difference compared to the 750 spell power.

But that's what I would do.

Quote Originally Posted by t_P
    Thanks. Although the second data seems dodgy... I see no reason for going over the hit cap for 750sp proc instead of 125 passive spellpower + 85 crit...
    Do remember that rawr calculates in the behalf of hitting the hit cap. Lets say you have alot of other options available, just lying in you bags, you could get a way more accurate numbers chewed out of it.

Rawr will always list a hit item as higher dps, if its beeing used to hit the current hit cap, with the current gear. Every piece of hit after that is counted =<0.

t_P, have you tried using rawr yourself? It is rather easy "once" you get the hang of filling it out correclty (buffs, fight time duration etc). And I am pretty sure you would be able to get more accurate numbers, as we don't know which gear you got in your bags.
    The easiest step for using it:
    1. Download it
    2. Upload your char from armory
    3. Go through the different slots (hands, head, chest etc etc), and mark available item you got in your bags as "available for optimizing".
    4. Next to the char pane, you have talents, and next is buffs. Go trough the buffs, and mark the available ones for you raid setup.
    5. Hit optimize.
    If its called Tourist season, why can't I shoot at them?

Quote Originally Posted by holkim
    Do remember that rawr calculates in the behalf of hitting the hit cap. Lets say you have alot of other options available, just lying in you bags, you could get a way more accurate numbers chewed out of it.

Rawr will always list a hit item as higher dps, if its beeing used to hit the current hit cap, with the current gear. Every piece of hit after that is counted =<0.

t_P, have you tried using rawr yourself? It is rather easy "once" you get the hang of filling it out correclty (buffs, fight time duration etc). And I am pretty sure you would be able to get more accurate numbers, as we don't know which gear you got in your bags.
    The easiest step for using it:
    1. Download it
    2. Upload your char from armory
    3. Go through the different slots (hands, head, chest etc etc), and mark available item you got in your bags as "available for optimizing".
    4. Next to the char pane, you have talents, and next is buffs. Go trough the buffs, and mark the available ones for you raid setup.
    5. Hit optimize.
    I use rawr, as I said I couldn't use it on the PC I had back then. Now I checked it on another PC though and it actually lists Eye of the Broodmother as a much higher dps increase (over 50) compared to dying curse if I get the blade of tarasque heroic.

Thanks for igniting my own curiosity. I really need to find or figure out a BiS list of warlock trinkets. Here is a very nice summary I found on Elitist Jerks:

On-use trinkets usually have a two-minute cooldown. Even when used immediately when the CD is up, the on-use abilities usually give less dps on the same item level in the average, mainly because the use-bonus is only slightly higher than the proc bonus, but the proc occurs twice as often.
    On the other hand, you get the option to use them in the best moment possible, e.g. when other buffs like heroism or your wild magic potion hit.