Page 1 of 3
LastLast

authenticators in the box ?

i'm just wondering if there's any reason Blizzard can't stick an Authenticator in every Cataclysm box ?
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

Re: authenticators in the box ?

Because it would cost a lot more money than they want to spend.

Furthermore, not everyone needs an authenticator. I doubt I'll ever own one. Can you guess why? Because I take the initiative to protect my computer via safe browsing habits, noscript addons for my browser, and not falling for fake announcements and addons.

Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

moar moneyz 2 buy da 'bling bling' n stuff?

You can't expect a Blizzard worker to only have 3 cars...
    Thank's for the honey, father bear.
    Nom Nom nom!

You would pay $50 instead of $40.

Quote Originally Posted by kuku2

Furthermore, not everyone needs an authenticator. I doubt I'll ever own one. Can you guess why? Because I take the initiative to protect my computer via safe browsing habits, noscript addons for my browser, and not falling for fake announcements and addons.
    ye so do i.

the topic wasn't intended as place to wave self-righteous superiority complex flags tho.

even if they were in the standard box you wouldn't need to use them.

and they only cost $6.50 each (thats like £4 or 4.5 euro) it's next to nothing.

they could quite easily have a special box with an authenticator in it (with the cost included in the box price) in stores unless there's some technical issue which is what im asking about.

there are plenty games with many different packagings and with all sorts of crap in the box (including Blizzard games) never mind something that's actually useful...

Quote Originally Posted by chaud
    You would pay $50 instead of $40.
    which would be fine.

as i understand it the biggest problem with authenticators is distribution.
    putting it in the box and adding on the the price (as an option) seems obvious.

what i'm wondering is is there any reason they don't do this ?
    i don't know much about authenticators or how they work.
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

Quote Originally Posted by sleekit
    i'm just wondering if there's any reason Blizzard can't stick an Authenticator in every Cataclysm box ?
    Its a good idea but dont shit loads of people have them already ?

Quote Originally Posted by volrathy
    Its a good idea but dont shit loads of people have them already ?
    They wouldn't be able to sell authenticators for another year, because they'd need to stockpile them for the Catty boxes.

ye but if everyone who bought the expansion got one would they really need much more ? :P

gee thx Brox...

It's just not a good idea. People who have the authenticators would be screwed, as would be the people that don't want them.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

frostyrides

I have an unconfirmed source that says that there will be authenticators in the box and I'm pulling this news out of my arsh.

15+ Year Old Account

You could ship cata with authenticators, and those that had them could send them back for a rebate of some kind, or extra play time.

Probably would be a lot of work on their part though.

Then again probably less work that it takes restoring ppls accounts every day.

i wouldn't mind it, id like to get an authenticator myself but i don't wanna pay double the items actual cost in postage and packaging fees on-top

6.50 for the authenticator plus 13 postage and packing fuck right off

15+ Year Old Account

I think their support would be absolutely swamped with ppl not getting how to activate it and stuff. I'll quote myself on this:

Quote Originally Posted by Cryonic
    I worked in support (not blizzard) so I know how difficult the easiest thing can be. I was on the phone for 30 minutes just trying to help him open a command prompt. Another customer needed about 5 minutes to locate capslock on the keyboard and when he did he was afraid to press it.

Imagine Blizzard trying to help ppl understand the authenticator..

iPhone = instant and free authenticator.

Quote Originally Posted by EpicPhoenix
    They wouldn't be able to sell authenticators for another year, because they'd need to stockpile them for the Catty boxes.
    They could just make it like a limited time offer kind of thing. You pre-order Catty at which time you would pay the extra amount and with the game you get a code to redeem for a authenticator. The limited time over part would only be available to pre order people.

Quote Originally Posted by pyle007
    iPhone = instant and free authenticator.
    Six dollar authenticator from Vasco or three hundred dollar authenticator from Fapple?

when do u do when ur iphone breaks ?

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenrage
    i wouldn't mind it, id like to get an authenticator myself but i don't wanna pay double the items actual cost in postage and packaging fees on-top

6.50 for the authenticator plus 13 postage and packing fuck right off
    Is that outside of the United States? I've purchased two authenticators through the Blizzard store and the $6.50 included the shipping and handling.

In regards to them including one in the box... no thanks. I don't want an extra one sitting in my drawer, I don't want to have to pay to ship one back to them to participate in some promotion. If the cost of shipping is an issue in some countries then all I could recommend is hopefully find a few friends to share that cost and then it shouldn't be a big issue.

All I want in my expansion box is the install DVD and the key code to upgrade my account. Anything else is not needed in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by kuku2

Good luck with that.

My gaming rig is tighter than Ft. Knox and have had both my accounts hacked. Both times while they were inactive and the game wasn't even installed.

They find you eventually.

15+ Year Old Account

Sorry if this has been dealt with elsewhere...

Is there any way to buy an authenticator through Blizzard without setting up a Battlenet account? I've heard very mixed reviews about these accounts and don't relish the thought of tampering with an account that works just fine at the moment.
    Remember this, kids, it is very important. Even if your mommy makes you a super hero costume, do not attempt to do any of these things, especially flying. Because you cannot do it. You do not have super powers. Because there is only one Super Grover. And that is me.