Best Meta Gem for DPS DK???

I've tried to look up info all over but can't find anything outside of Maxdps.com & from all accounts I've heard, that site is supposedly not that reliable. From what I found on that site though, Chaotic Skyflare Diamond is best & Relentless Earthsiege Diamond is second best.

I've looked on here & Wowhead, official blizz forums & elitistjerks but for some reason, metagem info for dps dks aren't that readily available or I might have just missed it.

Thanks for any & all info/help.

Re: Best Meta Gem for DPS DK???

The general concensus for all physical damage classes is to use http://www.wowhead.com/?item=41398 because it can be activated with 1 nightmare tear allowing you to spam more red gems of w/e stat you need. It really only matters in min maxing because the dps/dmg diff between 2 blue gem slots being activated as opposed to having only 1 activated really doesn't make a significant difference.

some sites are still out of date and CSD used to be the best meta for JCers back when JC gems were prismatic. In principle if you had omgwtf-amazing blue socket bonuses it could be CSD - in practice it's RED.

i think it would be the +21 crit and 3% crit damage one, its old but unfortunatly i dont think any new meta gems were released in the new patch

Quote Originally Posted by Solidshock
    i think it would be the +21 crit and 3% crit damage one, its old but unfortunatly i dont think any new meta gems were released in the new patch
    Do people even read threads before posting?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerian
    Do people even read threads before posting?
    Of course not, welcome to the internet.

RED vs CSD:

Relentless Earthsiege Diamond: 21 Agility
    Chaotic Skyflare Diamond: 21 Crit Rating

45.91 crit rating = 1% crit

62.5 agility = 1% crit

RED: 21 agility = 0.33% crit
    CSD: 21 crit rating = 0.46% crit

Raid buffed:

RED: 21 agi x 1.1 (BoK) = 23 agi = 0.37% crit

Conclusion:

1 bold + 1 nightmare tear = 30 str, 10 agi, 10 sta
    2 sovereign = 20 str, 30 sta (or 20 str, 10 agi, 25 sta for 1 sovereign and 1 nightmare tear)

This means that you have to decided if 0.09% crit is worth 10 str (or 10 str, 10 agi).

Personally I use the RED + tear option, but that's just my personal preference and I am also using Inscribed Ametrines in yellow sockets that give at least +4 str bonus for 4pcT9 so I don't want another reason to lose str.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderchylde
    1 bold + 1 nightmare tear = 30 str, 10 agi, 10 sta
    2 sovereign = 20 str, 30 sta (or 20 str, 10 agi, 25 sta for 1 sovereign and 1 nightmare tear)

This means that you have to decided if 0.09% crit is worth 10 str (or 10 str, 10 agi).
    If you use 2 Sovereign you're doing something wrong.

And you're ignoring that another blue gem will usually grant you another +4/6/8 Str socket bonus -> it's 0.09 crit vs 2/4/6 Strength.
    If you could get a 2nd +8 str socket bonus with just 1 Purple gem CSD wins but Afaik only helms and 3 Slot items (that usually require yellow + blue) have +8 bonuses.
    If you get a 2nd +6 str socket the RED is very slightly better (but you loose 15 stamina)
    If you get a +4 the RED is far better.

TL;DR : RED is usually very slightly better for damage but at the cost of 15 stamina.

Since this is a DK forum, it should be noted that agi only grants physical crit. For all specs, spells do a decent chunk of damage at the moment, and they gain no crit from agi.

10 STR difference is like what? 2 DpS of 6000 DpS so a difference of 0,03% DpS?

RED + Tear is best, from a methematical view.

In reality, it doesn't matter and there's no real need to regem.

Quote Originally Posted by Nye
    10 STR difference is like what? 2 DpS of 6000 DpS so a difference of 0,03% DpS?

RED + Tear is best, from a methematical view.

In reality, it doesn't matter and there's no real need to regem.
    Technically if should be 4 STR and not 10. Most weapons and many 2 slot red+blue items have +6STR socket bonus. By shoving dual red into it, you're effectively losing 6 STR in process.

This is gear dependent however.