Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Easy Latency/Lag/Ping Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Burner
    point is???

of course it's not a WoW fix, but of course if WoW was coded more efficiency there would be no need for this registry change.
    When you have a latency less than 120ms in everything else then 200+ in wow even in a local server it says a lot about the code.
    How many major MMO's have you written? Head out, write 5 million lines of code. That works on multiple OS's, on servers across the world and with 10 million players, that passes as much data back and forth as theirs does. All while keeping it relatively light on a system, and minimizing lag for players but still allowing smooth gameplay and nice detail, then come back and talk about their "bad code".

Quote Originally Posted by ikabod00
    How many major MMO's have you written? Head out, write 5 million lines of code. That works on multiple OS's, on servers across the world and with 10 million players, that passes as much data back and forth as theirs does. All while keeping it relatively light on a system, and minimizing lag for players but still allowing smooth gameplay and nice detail, then come back and talk about their "bad code".
    don't get your panties in a bunch. It's common knowledge it's caused by the way the game is coded and has the same latency issues on every platform. It has nothing to do with the OS.
    Anyone can babble a load of BS, but it helps if you have a clue.

fyi wow hasn't had 10 million "active" players in quite a while now.

think of it like this
    Normal without the reg change: Server sends two packets to your pc before your pc checks them and sends back an ok.
    WoW server may only send 1 packet .......Pause....... (your pc has to wait for the 2ed packet)...Server sends 2ed packet. Your pc can now respond.

Fix with reg change:

WoW server may send 1 packet, but now your pc no longer has to wait for the 2ed.

This of course increases network traffic, but that's not really an issue with most high speed connections. (wireless excluded)

Its not BS. There are all things that Blizzard would have to consider when writing any code.

Where does this "common knowledge" come from? I am sure it is not coded perfectly, as nothing can be. There are probably multiple things that could be done to speed it up, there always is when it comes to this type of stuff. I am simply saying, for what they do/have to do they do a pretty good job and keeping it playable for most/all. And you are acting like there are sitting there writing infinite loops for shits.

They simply can't spend months and months combing through their 5 million lines of code finding every small place to squeeze out that 1 extra ms. Instead, they spend their time creating new content, because the game runs just fine.

TcpAckFrequency - NOTE: This NOW works with Vista SP 1+ and Windows XP

Type "regedit" in windows "run.." dialog to bring up registry menu

Then find: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/Tcpip/Parameters/Interfaces

There will be multiple NIC interfaces listed in there, find the one you use to connect to the internet, there will be several interfaces listed (they have long names like {7DBA6DCA-FFE8-4002-A28F-4D2B57AE8383}. Click each one, the right one will have lots of settings in it and you will see your machines IP address listed there somewhere. Right-click in the right hand pane and add a new DWORD value, name it TcpAckFrequency, then right click the entry and click Modify and assign a value of 1.

You can change it back to 2 (default) at a later stage if it affects your other TCP application performance. It tells Windows how many TCP packets to wait before sending ACK. if the value is 1, windows will send ACK every time it receives a TCP package. <====== I've never had to change mine back.

+1
    I use this way from alot of time and im happy with it. Before my latency was ~170 with this its 50-70 and there is perceptible difference

no need for doubtful (keyloggers) programs

Quote Originally Posted by ikabod00
    Its not BS. There are all things that Blizzard would have to consider when writing any code.

Where does this "common knowledge" come from? I am sure it is not coded perfectly, as nothing can be. There are probably multiple things that could be done to speed it up, there always is when it comes to this type of stuff. I am simply saying, for what they do/have to do they do a pretty good job and keeping it playable for most/all. And you are acting like there are sitting there writing infinite loops for shits.

They simply can't spend months and months combing through their 5 million lines of code finding every small place to squeeze out that 1 extra ms. Instead, they spend their time creating new content, because the game runs just fine.
    go read the pages and pages and pages on this topic on the official forums from the past 4 years. It's been discussed and discussed and discussed. look it up I'm not gonna sit here and try to teach you about simple networking along with the flaws.
    as I said spend some time on google and digging through the forums.

btw quit being a fanboy. No one cares seriously we all like the game, but some of us can admit where the flaws are. You need to quit taking this like a personal attack and just quit already.

I asked nothing about networking. I don't know where you come off thinking I don't know anything. I was asking for proof to back up your claim of documented knowledge of Blizzards supposed bad code. (Which BTW, i never said there code wasn't bad, which I don't think it is). It could probably be better. All code can be. I don't know if you live in some fantasy world where all code is perfect, but out here in the real world, people don't have time for that. You can analyze every piece of code until the end of the world and try to squeak out that extra little bit of efficiency. But, at the end of the day, some shortcuts have to be taken. Or things need to be done in a way that gets it out the door. Its the reality of the development profession. Like I said, they could spend months analyzing every last function and database call or they could get the content out the door. And, seeing as their game is very playable, and for the most part does not suffer any real latency issues, then I would say they made a good choice.

And some of us live in the real world where we don't need to sit around and analyze why we are not getting that extra 30ms latency. We can enjoy the game because it is playable and don't bitch about shit that doesn't matter.

And btw, I do enjoy your avatar quite a bit.

15+ Year Old Account

point is???

of course it's not a WoW fix, but of course if WoW was coded more efficiency there would be no need for this registry change.
    When you have a latency less than 120ms in everything else then 200+ in wow even in a local server it says a lot about the code.
    I work for the 2nd largest software company and this fix speeds up many of the applications we use on a daily basis. So I would chalk it up as more of a outdated network algorithm that is becoming a problem rather than crappy coding. If it was a workaround for 1 application then sure, it would be Blizzards fault. It also wouldn't be on Microsoft's knowledge base as a solution to speed up Server 2003 as well as XP.

Applications that expect real time responses can react poorly with Nagle's algorithm. Applications such as networked multiplayer video games expect that actions in the game are sent immediately, while the algorithm purposefully delays transmission, increasing bandwidth at the expense of latency. For this reason applications with low-bandwidth time-sensitive transmissions typically use TCP_NODELAY to bypass the Nagle delay.
    This algorithm interacts badly with TCP delayed acknowledgments, a feature introduced into TCP at roughly the same time in the early 1980s, but by a different group. With both algorithms enabled, applications which do two successive writes to a TCP connection, followed by a read which will not be fulfilled until after the data from the second write has reached the destination, experience a constant delay of up to 500 milliseconds, the "ACK delay". For this reason, TCP implementations usually provide applications with an interface to disable the Nagle algorithm. This is typically called the TCP_NODELAY option. It is however not recommended to disable this. A solution recommended by Nagle himself, is to keep from sending small single writes and buffer up application writes then send.
    Applications that expect real time responses can react poorly with Nagle's algorithm. Applications such as networked multiplayer video games expect that actions in the game are sent immediately, while the algorithm purposefully delays transmission, increasing bandwidth at the expense of latency. For this reason applications with low-bandwidth time-sensitive transmissions typically use TCP_NODELAY to bypass the Nagle delay.
    So yeah, set the registry correctly to speed up performance but bashing them with no proof is retarded. Vanilla wow has some rock solid network code compared to any mmorpg I've played.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222