Thread: Alchemy....

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Alchemy....

Why is Alchemy so terrible?

The only really useful thing about it is....... the extra buff time on flasks.

It doesn't matter what I do, I could make more money by selling any mats I get for Alchemy stuff, than I could by actually making stuff then trying to sell it. Then you take into account the 'trinkets' that are BoP, the endless pots, which are BoP, and you have a whole lot of useless shit.

Why is this profession so fucking terrible when you compare it to any other crafting profession?

Re: Alchemy....

i like it.... 2 hour flasks and greater flask effect is nice... beats a lot of professions e.g tailoring/ herbs / mining / inscription.
    Vote Pengu for president!
    "For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much - the wheel, New York, wars and so on - whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man - for precisely the same reasons."

Transmutes on epic gems generates an additional 150-180g per day... for 2-mins effort. I have one transmute specialized. When it procs I get 2-4 gems, you do the math.
    ------------------------------------------
    Graybeard AH Junkie

The only really useful thing about it is....... the extra buff time on flasks
    No it isn´t!
    With Mixology you gain extra spelldmg/AP/HP/mp5 when you use a flask of some kind.
    (frostwyrm flask -> +47 spelldmg)
    (bloodstone flask -> +650 HP)
    (pure mojo flask -> +20mp5)
    (...)

Don´t forget about Crazy Alchemist's Potion which restores a lot of health and mana AND (mostly) gives u a buff of a random potion (like potion of speed).

..as a mage i think Alchemy is one of the best choices (just my 2 cents)

10+ Year Old Account

I have found alchemy to be more about saving money than making it, which is great in the long run. I don't at all regret taking alchemy on my main raider.
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

Flask of the North I think it's name is, is a reusable alchem flask. If you have alchemy and don't use it, it's like not enchanting rings or not putting extra socket in gloves for BSs.

I would say alchemy is a very good proffesion with alot of room for making money if you want to farm or even if you don't want to and it gives teh same stat buffs as other professions plus 2 hour flasks. Honestly there are alot of worse professions
    Resto Druids, the best health care system

Only thing i would like to change with the profession is the trinkets... Some upgrades for em would be in place imo...
    Make em cost something or buy for some insane rep from some undercover organisation... Just let it be posibel.
    Everyone thinks their world is falling.. If they had a solid sense of perspective, they probably wouldn't be gamers.

I love my Alchemy!
    Personal site: http://fuh-q.com
    My Kitteh's personal site: http://kitteh.in

At least on my server, the cost of raw plants to make elixirs/potions/flasks exceed the profits of selling the product. If you bought Frost Lotus, Lichbloom and Icethorn on my server to make Frostwyrm flasks, you'd lose 5g per item.
    ------------------------------------------
    Graybeard AH Junkie

extra items (mastery)
    easy 100+ gold a day (transumte)
    decent trinkets
    extra duration on flasks
    can you please compare alchemy to other professions so i can see why you dislike it that much ?
    btw... i dont know if you knew this... but you can reroll profession to chose something new! (containts sarcasm)

wtb epic trinkets with that fun potion-increasing effect on them =D making them BoE would be even sweeter. only the potion part only works for alchemists (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40772 - like this)

atleast you can produce stuff with alch. take a look at blacksmith or engeneering. once you are at max level you just enchant your new stuff and be done. but there will allways be a demand of raw metas and flasks.

It is the 3rd best profession in the game for money making (JC / Enchanting are ahead of it), the 3rd best PvP or PvE character buffs (JC and Engineering are ahead), and 2nd easiest crafting profession to lvl (inscription is easier due to the ink exchange). The key to success in Alchemy is either 1) have a ton of time and luck scouring AH for cheep mats or 2) have a lvl 70+ alt with cold weather flying herbalist. Also if you're not burning the xmute CD evey day your throwing away hundreds of free gold, buy the mats if you have to it's a "create 100g 8 sec cast time" spell.

It takes NO time to fly arround herb farming, you can easily collect 4-5 stacks an hour the real problem with alchemy is that frost lotus are still so rare. The problem is people falsely assume that frost lotus only come from high lvl herbs where as wowhead stats clearly show that all northrend plants have approximately the same drop chance so farming goldthorn is not worse than fighting a million other people for lichbloom or icethorn.

Right now my opinion:

Enchanting: hardest profession to lvl especially if you are already 80. Low lvl mats cost a ton and no real way to farm for them. #1 money maker since it includes it's own gathering proff which is the profitable aspect. #4 best buff the ring enchants are nice but nothing amazing.

Inscription: easiest to lvl. Can be a good money maker but requires a lot of dedication and market skill. Worst character buff the shoulder enchants are pretty nice but all it does is save you a rep grind with Sons of Hodir. Portal scrolls are worthless since the 30min HS timer, Dlaran rings, and Crusader tabard.

Engineering: as hard to lvl as tailoring / leatherworking / and blacksmithing. Worst money maker, Mote extractor fails as a real gathering form and the Eternal market is rock bottom they are a perk rather than a mainstay, only other money maker is Mechano Hogs wich require a huge up front investment. Very rarly are you going to find someone with that kind of cash an no engineering friends to make it for him. In my opinion the best buff profession (accelerator gloves very good for select classes, passive bonuses to flexweave cloaks).

Tailoring: mid range lvl difficulty like those already mentioned. Poor money maker spellthread sells all right but getting the orbs to make them can be a pain. The cloth xmutes are profitable but most likely only going to be selling to other tailors who simply dont want to wait on there xmutes so long for mats. decent char buff nothing to good. Flying carpet, works like every other flying mount kinda neat but going to replace it with a drake / proto drake most likely.

Leatherworking: see tailoring rather hard to lvl not very good money maker pant enchants are a bit more profitable but artic fur's have a terrible drop rate and are expensive to buy. the bracer enchants are all right probably worst of tailoring / blacksmithing group. Drums are stupid very rare are you going to be in 10-25 man raids and not have kings / gotw, for 5 mans they are not necessary and even if they are they are worse than the base kings / gotw provided by characters. Also take 450 to learn cant say enough bad stuff about the drums.

Blacksmithing: same as tailoring / LW, selling eternal buckles is all right but don’t expect to make a mint. The extra bracer socket is good probably the best out of tailoring / LW

Jewel crafting: One of the best money makers offering uncommon cuts and even buying uncut gems, cutting and reposting. #1 Character stat buff, can customize the stat you want rather than just get what the profession gives you. Rather easy to lvl need to buy a mix of ores and bars which could get expensive if you don’t have a miner. Trinkets suck since they haven’t released any new ones.

Gathering Proffs:

All gathering proffs have crummy character bonuses, are super easy to lvl up, and offer great money making possibilities if you are willing to dedicate time flying around gathering.

Quote Originally Posted by FireBorne
    mongoloid?! wtf is that, you sound like a festeezio(see i can make up words too)

Quote Originally Posted by Fbl
    extra items (mastery)
    easy 100+ gold a day (transumte)
    decent trinkets
    extra duration on flasks
    can you please compare alchemy to other professions so i can see why you dislike it that much ?
    btw... i dont know if you knew this... but you can reroll profession to chose something new! (containts sarcasm)
    Also Endless Health/Mana Potions. With the trinket they have about the same effects as regular potions, with less cooldown which is great for anything but long bossfights.
    Between mana gems and the endless mana potion my mage barely has to evocate, much less sit down and drink anymore.

One of the best professions out there !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Haxxored
    It is the 3rd best profession in the game for money making (JC / Enchanting are ahead of it), the 3rd best PvP or PvE character buffs (JC and Engineering are ahead), and 2nd easiest crafting profession to lvl (inscription is easier due to the ink exchange). The key to success in Alchemy is either 1) have a ton of time and luck scouring AH for cheep mats or 2) have a lvl 70+ alt with cold weather flying herbalist. Also if you're not burning the xmute CD evey day your throwing away hundreds of free gold, buy the mats if you have to it's a "create 100g 8 sec cast time" spell.

It takes NO time to fly arround herb farming, you can easily collect 4-5 stacks an hour the real problem with alchemy is that frost lotus are still so rare. The problem is people falsely assume that frost lotus only come from high lvl herbs where as wowhead stats clearly show that all northrend plants have approximately the same drop chance so farming goldthorn is not worse than fighting a million other people for lichbloom or icethorn.

Right now my opinion:

Enchanting: hardest profession to lvl especially if you are already 80. Low lvl mats cost a ton and no real way to farm for them. #1 money maker since it includes it's own gathering proff which is the profitable aspect. #4 best buff the ring enchants are nice but nothing amazing.

Inscription: easiest to lvl. Can be a good money maker but requires a lot of dedication and market skill. Worst character buff the shoulder enchants are pretty nice but all it does is save you a rep grind with Sons of Hodir. Portal scrolls are worthless since the 30min HS timer, Dlaran rings, and Crusader tabard.

Engineering: as hard to lvl as tailoring / leatherworking / and blacksmithing. Worst money maker, Mote extractor fails as a real gathering form and the Eternal market is rock bottom they are a perk rather than a mainstay, only other money maker is Mechano Hogs wich require a huge up front investment. Very rarly are you going to find someone with that kind of cash an no engineering friends to make it for him. In my opinion the best buff profession (accelerator gloves very good for select classes, passive bonuses to flexweave cloaks).

Tailoring: mid range lvl difficulty like those already mentioned. Poor money maker spellthread sells all right but getting the orbs to make them can be a pain. The cloth xmutes are profitable but most likely only going to be selling to other tailors who simply dont want to wait on there xmutes so long for mats. decent char buff nothing to good. Flying carpet, works like every other flying mount kinda neat but going to replace it with a drake / proto drake most likely.

Leatherworking: see tailoring rather hard to lvl not very good money maker pant enchants are a bit more profitable but artic fur's have a terrible drop rate and are expensive to buy. the bracer enchants are all right probably worst of tailoring / blacksmithing group. Drums are stupid very rare are you going to be in 10-25 man raids and not have kings / gotw, for 5 mans they are not necessary and even if they are they are worse than the base kings / gotw provided by characters. Also take 450 to learn cant say enough bad stuff about the drums.

Blacksmithing: same as tailoring / LW, selling eternal buckles is all right but don’t expect to make a mint. The extra bracer socket is good probably the best out of tailoring / LW

Jewel crafting: One of the best money makers offering uncommon cuts and even buying uncut gems, cutting and reposting. #1 Character stat buff, can customize the stat you want rather than just get what the profession gives you. Rather easy to lvl need to buy a mix of ores and bars which could get expensive if you don’t have a miner. Trinkets suck since they haven’t released any new ones.

Gathering Proffs:

All gathering proffs have crummy character bonuses, are super easy to lvl up, and offer great money making possibilities if you are willing to dedicate time flying around gathering.
    Your statements are basically correct but it depends on your server economy.
    Also enchanting is not that great to make money compared to JC. You can't really make money in the AH with Enchanting besides raw materials. Only very few people buy enchanted scrolls from the AH. Most people just buy the raw mats and a friend or guildmate will do the enchants. For more than 2 years this was the way enchanting worked and most people still do it this way. They won't buy a scroll for 500g is they can get the mats for 300g.

With jewelcrafting it is another story. The main income of JC is buying raw gems, cut them and relist them in the AH with 150% profit. There is no skill or rsik involved. The gems will sell like hot candy. For some reason a lot of people don't buy the raw gems and go to friend to cut them (as they do with enchanting) but are willing to buy up to 30-50% more for the cut gem they need.

Quote Originally Posted by Grisan
    They won't buy a scroll for 500g is they can get the mats for 300g.
    You obviously don't play on a realm with a large asian population, they'll buy anything for their alts as long as it's quick!

no offence to my oriental brothers of course :>

You guys miss my point. Professions are there to make money, and give you some benefits that are exclusive to you. Alchemy is fueled by herbalism. Right now, because of the price on everything, it is MORE PROFITABLE to just herb and sell them on the AH than it is to make pots/flasks and sell those. For money making, it is fail. I could spend hours farming mats to make flask of the frost wurm to sell for 20g ea, and then end up having to buy most of the frost lotus I need. If I just farmed herbs, I would make more money, without spending a bunch of money on frost lotus.

Gem transmutes are ridiculously terrible. It is more profitable just to BG for honor and buy gems with that.

As far as crafting professions go, Alchemy is pretty bad for making money. Sure, you get a few cool things, but those cool things are BoP, and you can't make money from them.

I have 2 level 80s, one is a miner/enchanter, the other is a herbalist/alchemist. Guess which ones bring in the cash.....

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous
    You guys miss my point. Professions are there to make money
    This... is not the case any more. It never really was, and with the player-bonuses it's completely gone. Professions are, unless you pick the rare ones that actually can make stuff that everybody is interested in all the time (Alchemy, Jewelcrafting and Enchanting), for personal benefit. The reason I didn't pick any of the other professions is that, while you need a Blacksmith when you get a new belt, a Scribe when you switch specs or a Tailor/Leatherworker when you get a new pair of pants, the others are needed for every raid (in the case of Alchemy) and for almost every new piece of gear you get (Jewelcrafting and Enchanting).