Thread: Ret paladin PVP

Ret paladin PVP

I have a few questions for the paladin community.

1. I've recently switched from Draenei to Human and I love it. My question, should I be using my pvp trinket even though I have the racial? The only reason I ask is because it gives ~100 more resilience. If I were to use it, I would have about 650. I think I read somewhere that res really isn't that important to have as a paladin. I see a lot of rets running around in full pve gear.

2. The hardest class that I have been dealing with lately, is warlocks. Specifically the ones that stun me, shoot me with green flaming skulls, fear me, dot me, and if I'm not dead at that point, I get rushed by 3-4 more people. My question is, at what point do I trinket? I don't really want to waste trink/bubble on a stun or fear, but if I don't, I get completely destroyed in 3-4 seconds. I know that Warlock is the Paladin counter class, but there has got to be a way to get to them 1v1. I do try to get to them before they get to me, and if that is the case, its game over for them.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...asza&n=Exploit

In case you were curious.

Please forgive my newbish arena attempts. Still kinda new to Arena with a Paladin, and I have to say it's quite frustrating with a Holy Priest.

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Ret paladin PVP

1. You should be running double DPS trinkets- Specifically, DMC: Greatness and the AP one from WG.

2. If 3-4 people jump you, you'd be dead anyhow. You have to duel someone to eliminate as many variables as possible (buffs they have/you have, debuffs on you/them, etc)

I assume that the warlock is Destro? If so, it is your #1 importance to CLEANSE IMMOLATE- The warlocks looses a good deal of Burst damage and control when you keep cleansing it. Also run Fire Aura and not Shadow Aura. Fear the pet if you can, HoF out of his AoE stun, and stay on him/behind him. Destro locks have a lot of burst by using Immo then CB + Conflag, so by removing Immolate you eliminate a good deal of burst by eliminating Conflag.

I'd trinket during the 1st or 2nd fear, depnding on your HP. Be sure to keep SS up and use your AoW procs for healing first and damage second unless you are sure you can stomp them quickly. Also try to spot a green glowing pillar, and if possible train them away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    1. You should be running double DPS trinkets- Specifically, DMC: Greatness and the AP one from WG.
    I am using DMCG and Death's Verdict. Would I benefit more from an on call trink and macro it with wings, or hope for a decent proc? I have found that on most of my initial attacks, both proc.

Will I be able to tell the difference between 550 and 650 resilience by not using the pvp trink?

2. If 3-4 people jump you, you'd be dead anyhow. You have to duel someone to eliminate as many variables as possible (buffs they have/you have, debuffs on you/them, etc)

I assume that the warlock is Destro? If so, it is your #1 importance to CLEANSE IMMOLATE- The warlocks looses a good deal of Burst damage and control when you keep cleansing it. Also run Fire Aura and not Shadow Aura. Fear the pet if you can, HoF out of his AoE stun, and stay on him/behind him. Destro locks have a lot of burst by using Immo then CB + Conflag, so by removing Immolate you eliminate a good deal of burst by eliminating Conflag.
    Yes, mostly destro locks. I am new to playing paladin in pvp, so how do I HoF out of the stun? I will keybind cleans with my others, perhaps a modifier with HoF should help a lot since I dont have that bound. I find that most of the time I am cleansing is either myself (ctrl right click on grid) or another (ctrl right click on grid), and at that point I am playing more defensive (cleansing and healing) and dont really have time to do very much damage.

I thought I just read somewhere that a spell can be used to remove stuns with HoF. So I'm thinking a macro to use HoF+whatever+Cleanse should be what I am looking for (atl+ctrl+shift modifiers)

I'd trinket during the 1st or 2nd fear, depnding on your HP. Be sure to keep SS up and use your AoW procs for healing first and damage second unless you are sure you can stomp them quickly. Also try to spot a green glowing pillar, and if possible train them away from it.
    Again, neewb here. What is SS? Sacred Shield? I'm sure I know what it is, just not the abbreviation. I have been using AoW procs for more bursty damage with exo, but perhaps I am playing to offensively against them and need to play more defensively. I do know that if I can lock them down, I can take them out. It's just that initial "Caught you off guard, now your fucked" control they have against me is getting very frustrating.

I know that pvp shouldn't be "I kill everything in my way". I am just curious to know how to counter them.

Thanks for the help Ronark, it's appreciated.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Diseous
    I am using DMCG and Death's Verdict. Would I benefit more from an on call trink and macro it with wings, or hope for a decent proc? I have found that on most of my initial attacks, both proc.

Will I be able to tell the difference between 550 and 650 resilience by not using the pvp trink?

Yes, mostly destro locks. I am new to playing paladin in pvp, so how do I HoF out of the stun? I will keybind cleans with my others, perhaps a modifier with HoF should help a lot since I dont have that bound. I find that most of the time I am cleansing is either myself (ctrl right click on grid) or another (ctrl right click on grid), and at that point I am playing more defensive (cleansing and healing) and dont really have time to do very much damage.

I thought I just read somewhere that a spell can be used to remove stuns with HoF. So I'm thinking a macro to use HoF+whatever+Cleanse should be what I am looking for (atl+ctrl+shift modifiers)

Again, neewb here. What is SS? Sacred Shield? I'm sure I know what it is, just not the abbreviation. I have been using AoW procs for more bursty damage with exo, but perhaps I am playing to offensively against them and need to play more defensively. I do know that if I can lock them down, I can take them out. It's just that initial "Caught you off guard, now your fucked" control they have against me is getting very frustrating.

I know that pvp shouldn't be "I kill everything in my way". I am just curious to know how to counter them.

Thanks for the help Ronark, it's appreciated.
    Usually we run with less Resilience than other classes because we have enough defensive tools already- If you have DMC:G and Death's Verdict as your tinkets you should still be fine.

There is a talent in Ret that can have a 50/100% chance to remove all stuns (but does nothing to protect you against further stuns). And yes, for Paladins SS is Sacred Shield.

In PvP (and especially Arenas), Rets role is to provide support. Think of them as the battlefield Medic from the Call of Duty series: We heal and give supoort to the bigger hitters or weaker classes, but can deliver a shotgun blast if ignored entirely. We provide steady healing and support through the use of our Hand spells and Cleansing, and deal good damage in any 1v1 situation when in range.

I'm assuming you are running 2's since you only mentioned a holy priest partner.

The best comp for ret with a healer in 2's is Resto Sham / ret. I'd advise running this comp if you can.

I'm currently running that @ 2050, and gaining 30-60 points every week in the 10 games we play. They compliment a retadin well, however to be successful your shaman needs to play offensively.

The basics.

Besides DPS, general things you want to do as ret:
    ► Assist your shaman. Dispell CC ASAP off your shaman. Fear Gargs/Demon pets. Dispell burst setup abillities like Immolate / Flame Shock form both of you.
    ► Move Sacred shield between targets when they get focused.
    ► Use proper resistance auras. I see so many rets stick with ret aura because they are "ret pallies". Resist auras take a bit of the edge off of spell damage.

You shaman will need to:
    ► Focus macro healers casts and interrupt.
    ► Purge a lot. Decurse you.

General Tips:

Use your hand of sac to either reduce damage on your healer when he is being bursted or to prevent you from being CCed by poly/blind depending on the comp you are facing. Make a Bop / Sac Macro / Freedom macro for both of you. Against priests your shaman will need to LoS mana burns, you many need to freedom him to prevent this if he is snared/stunned in place. Against rogues, make sure to get in combat, use your taunt to do this - getting sapped puts you in a really bad spot. You can quickly OOM resto druids with constant target switches by making him HoT up a target so they are ticking when the target is at full health. If you can get a lock's pet LoS you can stun it and gib it, if stun is down you can cast fear when the lock calls it back and hope it runs away from their healer/lock.

I think everyone has looked over the obvious............He has no hit...

Quote Originally Posted by Samelar
    Deathwing: "Heh.What are you doesent made you something more than a Mortal.IM the Deathwing!And I will KILL YOU!!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikazz
    are you retdad of dreadmaul if so i would just liek to psot knowone raid with this guy he ninjas offspec items...
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthurDent
    He's a product of Natural Selection.... someone drank a case of Natural Light and knocked up an Irish, morbidly obese Downs chick.

Quote Originally Posted by xxGenshinxx
    I think everyone has looked over the obvious............He has no hit...
    Im not sure if you are being serious or not. Is that something I should be concerned about? I very rarely miss attacks. Maybe 2/100.

15+ Year Old Account

Im not sure if you are being serious or not. Is that something I should be concerned about? I very rarely miss attacks. Maybe 2/100.
    impossible, put your glasses on

(happy?)

Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora
    impossible, put your glass on
    My glass what?

Or are you asking me to put my glasses on perhaps?

15+ Year Old Account

For Arena PvP you want to be 5% hit capped, 4% if you run with a Spacegoat.

15+ Year Old Account

For Arena PvP you want to be 5% hit capped, 4% if you run with a Spacegoat.
    at the very minimum
    a lot of race/classe have talents racials that lower your hit chance
    My glass what?

Or are you asking me to put my glasses on perhaps?
    with 0% hit chance, you will miss alot even if you say you dont, run a recount in pvp and check how many time
    missing an hammer of justice must be cool lol (personnaly ive never seen that)

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora
    at the very minimum
    a lot of race/classe have talents racials that lower your hit chance with 0% hit chance, you will miss alot even if you say you dont, run a recount in pvp and check how many time
    missing an hammer of justice must be cool lol (personnaly ive never seen that)
    I miss with HoJ in PvE : /

15+ Year Old Account

I miss with HoJ in PvE : /
    :-X

I've missed a few myself... i've also missed judgements(on holy), i remember the first time i missed hammer of justice, i sat there shocked for at least 5 seconds while the mob beat on me.
    I'm glad to have multiple personalities, if i didn't i would be talking to myself, and that's just insane.

Just wanted to say thanks for the tips from all of you.

Having cleanse on a hotkey has really helped me out against Warlocks for sure.

As far as the hit thing goes, personally, I would rather have more crit than a few more hit points. There are only a few pvp items that have hit on them, and I'll be god damned if I am going to gem for hit on pvp gear. Perhaps once I get some arena gear that will become an option, but when a bg fight lasts no longer than 10 seconds, I just dont see the advantage of hit over crit or strength.

15+ Year Old Account

Just wanted to say thanks for the tips from all of you.

Having cleanse on a hotkey has really helped me out against Warlocks for sure.

As far as the hit thing goes, personally, I would rather have more crit than a few more hit points. There are only a few pvp items that have hit on them, and I'll be god damned if I am going to gem for hit on pvp gear. Perhaps once I get some arena gear that will become an option, but when a bg fight lasts no longer than 10 seconds, I just dont see the advantage of hit over crit or strength.
    Cleanse is often forgotten or neglected in PvP- It can be used as a key-Burst/Combo breaker for a few casters out there.