Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account

Re: Average Modern Raiding Guild: Homoeroticism Gone or Not?

You know how merely a setback and in the mountains get annoying? It was basically that but with these kind of jokes but to a greater degree. I'm not some humorless robot just because I find sexual jokes to get old faster than other ones.

Back OT, yeah, that sounds right about paladins - Lyees aka Blackie a paladin was the one who used to give me the most crap. But I'd annoy him back with stuff like "Will you, like, totally buff my pet?" (People thought I sounded like a valleygirl on vent for some reason even though I have a deep voice). Oh, and mis-pronouncing bijou. I loved that. BIJ-OW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

I rly love when i caress my own inner thighs with warm peanut butter.

I MEEEEEEEEAN wow that was pretty gay!

You know how merely a setback and in the mountains get annoying? It was basically that but with these kind of jokes but to a greater degree. I'm not some humorless robot just because I find sexual jokes to get old faster than other ones.

Back OT, yeah, that sounds right about paladins - Lyees aka Blackie a paladin was the one who used to give me the most crap. But I'd annoy him back with stuff like "Will you, like, totally buff my pet?" (People thought I sounded like a valleygirl on vent for some reason even though I have a deep voice). Oh, and mis-pronouncing bijou. I loved that. BIJ-OW!
    you must have had them in stitches. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom

Then your issue would be about "jokes" being milked; not the sexuality behind them.

I assure you. Homoeroticism in my guild is NOT gone. Rofl. He's a cool 'dude' though, if a bit nutty.

...god that was terrible somebody shoot me.

A joke once in a while sure... but constantly? It got/gets damn annoying.
    Sorry for going off topic but what is your avatar pic from? I remember it is some sort of video game review site, but I can't remember the name. Thanks.
    Quote from Sick4Paradise -

Wow, they should give you Ghostcrawler's job. Wait, no that's a bad idea, because you have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene B
    Sorry for going off topic but what is your avatar pic from? I remember it is some sort of video game review site, but I can't remember the name. Thanks.
    Zero Punctuation by Yahtzee.

Edit: I just realized the irony given that Yahtzee probably overuses sexual metaphors more than anything else I've ever watched. That said he has some of the most hilarious one liners.

Not everyone is horrified by playful comments, nor so deeply entrenched in the closet.

Why on earth would you keep that around if you didn't think it was funny...or whatever...?

As for "is there still sexual joking going on in some raiding guilds?" - Yes of course. It doesn't go away just because you're terrified of guys talking about naughty things.

To be honest, in my guild it's the wives (like myself) who get REALLY going about the size of orcs vs. taurens and the nature of butt-buddies as comrades in arms.

My guild is a ten man guild - we have 3 husband and wife teams, a "best friends who will likely marry one day" team, and two extras, one of whom is nearly always a girl (we have two other girls in the guild and two other guys).

So yeah - 5 guys, 5 girls, and trust me, when smut flies during raids, the chicks dish it out just as nasty as the guys do.

If you're too sexually repressed to handle smut, that's too bad - because really, that sort of joking actually keeps drama relatively low. Best drama-free guilds I've been in all have a high smut value - the ones that don't let you swear or flirt, or make cheeky comments about "touching my (summoning) hole!" all end up smashed to pieces a month down the road because people put their stressful energies (built up over time due to the nature of picky raiding/PVPing) into irritation instead of amusement.

But either way, you're probably a troll. I just like this topic too much to not address it. <3

Click on my website link - it's the whole history of Azeroth in point form!

the people who play wow are mostly parrots, not very creative at all

this game leaves no room for imagination

Quote Originally Posted by SilverLynx
    If you're too sexually repressed to handle smut, that's too bad - because really, that sort of joking actually keeps drama relatively low. Best drama-free guilds I've been in all have a high smut value - the ones that don't let you swear or flirt, or make cheeky comments about "touching my (summoning) hole!" all end up smashed to pieces a month down the road because people put their stressful energies (built up over time due to the nature of picky raiding/PVPing) into irritation instead of amusement.
    This is practically 100% true in every way. I've never seen a stuck up guild last. Ever.

Both of the Vanilla end-game raiding guilds I was in had homoeroticism problems.
    Trade ya. I'm dead tired of the sexism and homophobia everywhere I go.

*I don't know if the people I run into are exceptional or if this has become the norm, but I swear I can't go 5 minutes in a city without hearing someone vehemently decry someone or something as "GAY" (and it's always in caps. Always). I accepted long ago that there's no point in reporting them, but I can only ignore so many people.
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Varied jokes are fun. "LOLGAY" day in and day out gets tiresome and can go back to residing on Xbox Live with the rest of the kids, thanks.
    I'm in the "I don't have an obnoxiously large signature" club.

I'd have to say I disagree with that actually. Now there is such a thing as over-regulating, but it comes out in all aspects of the guild rather than just one particular area. I was in a guild in Classic where the raid leader was something of a control freak who liked everything just his way, and I think overly stringent behavior codes are just part of a larger problem in that case. A side effect of a larger leadership issue if you will.

I'll offer up my own guild as a counter-example to your "clean guilds crash and burn". We're a year in and running strong as a 10man raid guild. I don't prohibit swearing, but I never swear personally; people swear in guild and raid but it is at a low level, held there by example rather than regulation. We have occasional sexual comments; again I don't hunt them down like witches but we never get into the kind of smut-slinging that you so fondly describe (although I would stop that). Our guild is quite happy, with many members who have played since Classic saying it's their favorite guild ever. As far as I can tell people aren't chomping at the bit, just waiting to get out from underneath this "puritanical" repression. I think after some acquaintance with the atmosphere it's grown on everybody, because it doesn't feel like a 24/7 locker room and really enhances the quality of the experience.

Edit: realized I forgot to actually reply to the OP. I agree, the sex jokes are threadbare and boring. It has very little to due with repression and everything to do with the same joke, dressed up in a dozen different ways, not funny for the one millionth time.

10+ Year Old Account

Haha I still do this with my friends sometimes. But the problem is that some players 'have kids watching' (or they could actually be gay) so you gotta be careful who you're talking to.

Guess you just ended in the wrong server..

^^. I'm in the longest running raiding guild on the server, and it's stayed that way because of the attitude. If you can't have fun it won't last. Members come and go, so if you don't like where you're at, move on. I know plenty of guilds though, that were setup to destroy content, and fell apart due to bitching. Any kind of tension will kill a guild in the long haul, while ours has been around since MC.

There's probably only a few replies to the SS in the OP that are worthy - Tell him that makes you uncomfortable (Yes I know it wasn't directed at you), and he can joke around with someone else, or get into the joke and reply with something gayer and soon you'll both be laughing seeing what you can come up with. Change the subject if you have to, but again I think laughing is key. Gay jokes are pretty high up there in terms of ease, but at least it's better than "Anal _____" spam.

It's also important to not offend somebody if you can help it. "Dude that's fucking gay", doesn't have to be an insult to homosexuals, but the pst's in that SS are a totally different level. If their RP-ing you like that then I'd go back to one of the two options in my previous paragraph.