Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Resto Shaman or Holy Priest?

Ive goten back into raiding recently and i have a shadow priest and ele shaman. i kinda wana switch to healing now. ive healed on both chars before and i love them about the same.
    I was just wandering what the roles of both of the classes would be in a raid.
    Is there one you would recommend over the other. Pros/Cons

Re: Resto Shaman or Holy Priest?

Got same *problem* and i ve chosen resto sham, looks more interesting to me then holy priest. Anyway i also changed priest in disci ))

totems are probably one of the most gay wow mechanics, period.

holy priest is by FAR more fun to play then a resto sham any day.

preists have heals for every type of situation that can be thrown at them, with way more buttons to press then a sham.

glyphed guardian spirit is the shit, 1 min "oh shit" button, up all the time. fear ward, WOTF, prayer of mending rocks so much its retarded, you can heal 5 man raids with 1 button and spam smite the rest of the time. my priest 2900 whr and current impossible to run oom, in ANY instance.

but maybe if you suck.... and need a reason for people to invite you sham might be good for blood lust.... but my priest rapes every.single.healer i come across with ease carrying every pug to victory doing 35-40% of overall healing, with ease

Resto shaman hands down for me. used to heal on my pally and priest. pally was boring and preist i just couldnt put out the numbers i wanted. but on my resto shaman i blow all the rest of em out of the water. Since that's the only two choices i will tell ya restoshaman over holy priest any day.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...une&n=Convertz

15+ Year Old Account

oorbs can u link your armory

I have a resto shaman and love him. But I've been wanting a priest to heal with for a while. Just for a change of pace I think. I'd probably go with the priest if I was in your position.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...monzi/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Crokey View Post
    You know you just wrote 7 paragraphs about some people you have never met, playing a computer game in a way you disagree with?

15+ Year Old Account

how are disc compared to holy?
    do groups use disc anymore? or is holy always wanted in a priest

Quote Originally Posted by hellar
    oorbs can u link your armory
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...Arthas&n=Oorbs

here

I tank on my DK and by far a disc priest is my favorite healer to have. I also play a resto shaman so I feel my shamans pain

15+ Year Old Account

if a raid leader had 1 spot open for a healer (priest) would he take a disc or hoyl priest equaly geareD?

I have a resto shaman, so I'm probably biased here, but I really don't like preist heals, especially on my paladin because of the mana regeneration issue.

Also:

Less competition for gear (mail caster gear is either elemental or resto shaman )
    Pets every 10 minutes
    Earth Shield - set it and forget
    Spam AOE Heals with Chain Heal (no cooldown)
    Lots of utility and situational buffs with the totems (tremor, frost resist, fire resist, healing, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by neuropsycho
    I have a resto shaman, so I'm probably biased here, but I really don't like preist heals, especially on my paladin because of the mana regeneration issue.

Also:

Less competition for gear (mail caster gear is either elemental or resto shaman )
    Pets every 10 minutes
    Earth Shield - set it and forget
    Spam AOE Heals with Chain Heal (no cooldown)
    Lots of utility and situational buffs with the totems (tremor, frost resist, fire resist, healing, etc.)
    mana regen issue? WTH? your priest is undergeared, priests do NOT have mana issues, PERIOD.

earh shield, blows dick, 3000 HP ticks, does NOT stop a boss killing you with a 20k hit.
    try prayer of mending, 10000 HP crits on tanks, castable every7 seconds, smart targets people taking damage, truly the #1 healing spell in WOTLK by far. any priest with 2p t9 - this will be their #1 healing spell, always.

chain heal? blows, it will hit melee, OR ranged rarely ever both
    circle of healing? position your self (priest) between melee and casters, cast COH on yourself, hits melee, ranged, and tanks

totems blow dick, they are a hassle to lug around reset them, they are NOT f un to play with. priest heals are #1
    fort, spirit, DONE.

not saying shams are bad... just saying compared to a equally geared priest, priest blows them out of the water every.single.time

I'd say a shaman shines more in 10-man where it's unlikely that their raidbuffs are covered. For actual healing in 25-man a lot of people seem to prefer taking a priest because of their flexibility. Most healing priests have both holy and disc in their dual-specs so they can adapt to the encounter and/or other healers.

I get the feeling resto shamans could use a buff to compete with other healers in 25-man raiding, but that's just supposition since I don't play one personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Yon
    I'd say a shaman shines more in 10-man where it's unlikely that their raidbuffs are covered. For actual healing in 25-man a lot of people seem to prefer taking a priest because of their flexibility. Most healing priests have both holy and disc in their dual-specs so they can adapt to the encounter and/or other healers.

I get the feeling resto shamans could use a buff to compete with other healers in 25-man raiding, but that's just supposition since I don't play one personally.
    QTF

this guy nails it, there is not one thing a sham can do better then a priest, besides cast blood lust.

This is what i have for you, I have an 80 pally priest and shaman all of wich r healing spec'd my priest is currently DISC tho (fyi)\

I peronally feel that priest is more fun than shaman.

Pros to Shaman-
    More gear choices - you can wear cloth leather and mail (nice for gearing up if u are under geared)
    Earth sheild - most of the time just this and riptide can keep a decent tank up in 5 mans
    Totems - drop em and froget em ppl love them in raids (cleanse totem is great so is tremor for mass fear ward)
    Heroism/Bloodlust - obvious reasons

Pros to Priest -
    AOE- as holy u can do amazing aoe healing with holy nova/ POH and as holy u have COH wich just adds
    OH SHIT - as disc you can imp ur PWS and this works as an OH shit button in my opinion absorbing dmg and letting you get off a quick heal or two before its broken
    Renew - works like earth sheild (heals for less) but doesent require you to be hit to gain the heal
    POM - similar to earth sheild but jumps to other people
    Binding heal - one of my fav spells for when you take damage, rather than having to heal urself and lose time on the tank or other raid members, just use this and it heals you and them

i personally like priest over my shaman but it all depends on playstyle and what ur group / guild needs

Holy priest = 30 different healing spell buttons to press

Resto shaman = chainhealriptideearthshield/afk
    Stormreaver.EU

Quote Originally Posted by oorbs
    mana regen issue? WTH? your priest is undergeared, priests do NOT have mana issues, PERIOD.
    Sorry, I assumed that everyone plays a pally. We (pallys) get mana back from direct heals and since preists use power reduction a lot, I sometimes go oom on my pally if they are healing me.

earh shield, blows dick, 3000 HP ticks, does NOT stop a boss killing you with a 20k hit.
    try prayer of mending, 10000 HP crits on tanks, castable every7 seconds, smart targets people taking damage, truly the #1 healing spell in WOTLK by far. any priest with 2p t9 - this will be their #1 healing spell, always.
    ES also reduces spell interruption by 30%. It's a nice, free HoT with 8 charges. ES ~= Power Shield except you don't have to keep casting it all the time.

chain heal? blows, it will hit melee, OR ranged rarely ever both
    Funny, worked quite nice yesterday in H HoR when everyone bunched up in the corner for the first boss.

totems blow dick, they are a hassle to lug around reset them, they are NOT f un to play with. priest heals are #1 fort, spirit, DONE.
    Use to. I can drop 4 at a time and now they have a bar with different sets. I can switch out a totem in a bar set in about 3 seconds and it take 1 seconds to recall them. Not a hassle at all.

Oh yeah, forget about cleansing totem as mentioned by another poster. Makes encounters with lots of diseases and posions almost trival. On the 2nd boss in H AN, I don't have to worry about cleansing off leech life: I just drop the totem and it's done.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

I'd say a dual specced disc/holy priest. Priests are awsome in healing, a 25man raid should NEVER EVER NEVER go without atleast 1 holy priest and 1 disc priest. The only bad about disc priests is how bad they stack, else they're just AWESOME, throwing out shields everywhere, fast and big burst healing (PW: S > Penance > Greater Heal). While Holy priest has burst raid healing, a PoM, a quick PoH and a CoH right after is just awesome on XT hardmodes.

I use both for raiding and I find resto shaman the most easy class to use.
    Sure, riptide is nice, but you still win by only using Chain Heal.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by neuropsycho
    Sorry, I assumed that everyone plays a pally. We (pallys) get mana back from direct heals and since preists use power reduction a lot, I sometimes go oom on my pally if they are healing me.

ES also reduces spell interruption by 30%. It's a nice, free HoT with 8 charges. ES ~= Power Shield except you don't have to keep casting it all the time.

Funny, worked quite nice yesterday in H HoR when everyone bunched up in the corner for the first boss.

Use to. I can drop 4 at a time and now they have a bar with different sets. I can switch out a totem in a bar set in about 3 seconds and it take 1 seconds to recall them. Not a hassle at all.

Oh yeah, forget about cleansing totem as mentioned by another poster. Makes encounters with lots of diseases and posions almost trival. On the 2nd boss in H AN, I don't have to worry about cleansing off leech life: I just drop the totem and it's done.
    Who the hell cares about how good you do perform in a 5man?!?! its so easy anyways, like 2nd boss in AN hc, put a pw: s on the target with the poison thingy and he'll be fine.