How do you time your Deathwish?

Hello everyone!

I recently switched over from Arms to Fury as a mainspec. Since I was somewhat experienced with Fury from TBC and it's not a hard spec to learn the basics at all, I've the "rotation" down now. But there is a problem. Deathwish. I could just use it every time it's up, that's what I did first but it seems like a bad idea to me. I've got 4 different procs going on (2xberserker, 1x fanged skull, 1x NES -bringing me to 99.82%armpen), and it sounds like an excellent idea to try and use Deathwish in a way it runs along with most of my procs. I've got a couple questions about this.

1: Is this worthwhile?
    2: Are there any addons to track the internal cooldowns on procs, and to give you a warning when they do proc?
    3: My assumption is that I should try and time it with NES, since that's my biggest dps boost. On the other hand, NES is more unpredictable then the others, so I might miss it, or waste time waiting for it to proc)

I would appreciate any input I could get. My dps is quite ok but im sure I can get some more out of it.

Just posting my armory to be sure, no idea why you would need it but.. ah well.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...scream&n=Creap

10+ Year Old Account

Re: How do you time your Deathwish?

I use an addon called SexyCooldowns
    http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...ycooldown.aspx
    Wich is very nice imo for cooldown tracking.

Downloaded it, liking it, to bad it doesnt show Berserking tho. Is there a mod that does show it? I understand it might be hard to track since I've got it on 2 weapons..

I try to time it with my internal cooldowns and bloodlust... So, I will pre-pot with haste, and pop DW, at the very start... this means I will have haste, DW, and my dm:g + whispering fanged skull up.... then I usually save it for internal cooldowns again... So i have haste, DW, dm:g + whispering fanged, and bloodlust...

I use Power Auras to track my procs. Look up the item on wowhead, and find out what the buff name of the proc is and enter it into power auras. Works perfectly for me, and i dont have to watch for those little icons to pop up on pitbull.

To start out a fight, I normally go Bloodrage>Vengeance of the Forsaken (Trinket)>Deathwish>Recklessness>30K WHIRLWIND!!!

That gives enough time for the tank to get an aggro base, and normally I get a few melee swings in and my berserk and NES procs go off before my insane whirlwind.

Usually it helps to have an addon called timetodie and a knowledge of the capabilities of your raid members.

Set up timetodie (you can grab it off curse) and stick the timer near your deathwish cd indicator. The addon uses a set of algorithms which monitor raid dps and boss health to give you a fair indicator of how long the boss has to live.

Take deathbringer saurfang as an example. An average killtime for guilds is just over 5 minutes. Deathwish cd is 2 minutes. That means you can fit in 3 deathwishes! However alot also depends on your guilds choice of heroism/bloodlust usage.

My guilds first DBS kill clocked at about 4:30 from what I remember. This is exactly enough for 3 deathwishes if used straight away as it comes off cd. For that kill I was at about 8.7k dps. The next week,
    our ranged had cleaned up their add strat and we clocked in at about 3:50. This is unfortunately time for only two deathwishes. Both weeks, heroism was used as soon as the boss was under 30% and all blood beasts had been taken care of. The first week, deathwish was used as soon as it's cd expired. The second week, however, I glanced at my timetodie as deathwish was coming off cd and saw a number under 2 minutes. I was obviously only going to fit one more in, so I waited for heroism and used it then, ending up on 8999 dps (without 4% debuff from arms/combat).

How does this apply to your question? It's really easy: it's up to you to make the judgement call of when to use deathwish on those 5 minute kills. Do you use 3, or use one at the start and save your second for heroism, possibly removing your chance of popping a third?

Quote Originally Posted by nitrizzle
    Usually it helps to have an addon called timetodie and a knowledge of the capabilities of your raid members.

Set up timetodie (you can grab it off curse) and stick the timer near your deathwish cd indicator. The addon uses a set of algorithms which monitor raid dps and boss health to give you a fair indicator of how long the boss has to live.

Take deathbringer saurfang as an example. An average killtime for guilds is just over 5 minutes. Deathwish cd is 2 minutes. That means you can fit in 3 deathwishes! However alot also depends on your guilds choice of heroism/bloodlust usage.

My guilds first DBS kill clocked at about 4:30 from what I remember. This is exactly enough for 3 deathwishes if used straight away as it comes off cd. For that kill I was at about 8.7k dps. The next week,
    our ranged had cleaned up their add strat and we clocked in at about 3:50. This is unfortunately time for only two deathwishes. Both weeks, heroism was used as soon as the boss was under 30% and all blood beasts had been taken care of. The first week, deathwish was used as soon as it's cd expired. The second week, however, I glanced at my timetodie as deathwish was coming off cd and saw a number under 2 minutes. I was obviously only going to fit one more in, so I waited for heroism and used it then, ending up on 8999 dps (without 4% debuff from arms/combat).

How does this apply to your question? It's really easy: it's up to you to make the judgement call of when to use deathwish on those 5 minute kills. Do you use 3, or use one at the start and save your second for heroism, possibly removing your chance of popping a third?
    It's late. I'm tired and had a little to drink tonight. But I'm sure your math is wrong.

The time to proc deathwish, is at the beggining of a fight.

Use recklassnass to almost garuntee a NES proc, then pop deathwish immediatly after that, the NES has a 45 sec internal cd or something like that, so it'd be a bigger dps booste to keep popping it.

another hint is to toss in a heroic throw if you get a free GC, it doesnt really sound like much, but its around a 7k crit, so why not pop it while waiting for BT to come off CD.

just my two cents

Quote Originally Posted by Gredge
    It's late. I'm tired and had a little to drink tonight. But I'm sure your math is wrong.
    0.00 - Deathwish
    2.01 - Deathwish
    4.02 - Deathwish
    You face not Malchezaar alone, but the legions he commands.

Most things dont really help, Im sorry.

I know to pop everything in the beginning (or as soon as I trust the tank)

I know I should try and guess how long the battle is going to take. Im just asking if there is anything to try and get my cooldowns overlapping. It's the 3rd or 4th cooldown that's the problem, not the first.

I will try the Power Aura thingie again, I didnt really like it the last time I used it tho..

Edit: Using Deathwish 10 seconds later so it can overlap with NES or WFS probably does increase damage quite a bit. The first addon that was recommended is helping me quite a lot :-)

Quote Originally Posted by BaddyMcBad
    0.00 - Deathwish
    2.01 - Deathwish
    4.02 - Deathwish
    My spec allows me to start with a full rage bar so I usually stand just out of melée
    range as he aggros. Our rogues are pretty quick but I don't take any chances and play it safe by starting with bt and ww before I death wish, so I end up wih a few seconds overlap.

But yeah pretty much what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by BaddyMcBad
    0.00 - Deathwish
    2.01 - Deathwish
    4.02 - Deathwish
    rofl ty for clearing that up Baddy. I'm going to chalk this one up to lack of sleep.

The real question is though. Would it be better to pop that one at 2:01 or wait for your trinkets to proc. I usually wait for my trinkets and maybe a zerking to be up then pop it the second time. My guild has no set times when we lust we just do it when the time feels right so its hard to judge.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account

back when i was fury i timed it with my on use trinket, and timed both with heroism if i could. we didnt have berserking back then:P

The fight doesn't really get interesting until he frenzies...you need to make sure you have your personal cooldowns ready for that particular part of the fight...especially in heroic mode when he'll have more health and each death from mark heals him for 20% instead of 5%. Its only a matter of time after he frenzies when a mark will die.
    When you shoop da whoop, you feel powerful and don't want to lose it, and then a guy in plate armor comes and turns your woop against the shoop, hence, making you got laz0red.

Guild No Quarter - www.nqguild.org

Quote Originally Posted by Gredge
    rofl ty for clearing that up Baddy. I'm going to chalk this one up to lack of sleep.

The real question is though. Would it be better to pop that one at 2:01 or wait for your trinkets to proc. I usually wait for my trinkets and maybe a zerking to be up then pop it the second time. My guild has no set times when we lust we just do it when the time feels right so its hard to judge.
    I tend to Deathwish and then wait for free a GCD use:

Code:
    #showtooltip Recklessness
    /cast Berserking
    /cast Recklessness
    due to Deathwish lasting 30 seconds and the others lasting 10/12 seconds.
    I've got Power Auras configured to let me know when my ring proc, DMC:G, and WFS proc.
    You face not Malchezaar alone, but the legions he commands.