Arms dps in need of aid!

Hello everyone!

I have been reading the warrior forums for a while already, read all arp, and other posts here. I am not a big dps maniac either, only sometimes turning on the damage meters to see if I am doing okay.

Last night, I have been in Icecrown 10 with my guild, and we could not kill Saurfang for a reason. Meanwhile I have been checking my own damage, it was just around 4,7k. I thought this was good, but then a rogue joined too, and he easily did 5,2k dps with worse gear than I am having. Also the target had sunder armors at full stacks too, I had GotW,BoK+BoM buffs.

Here is my armory: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shadowsong&cn=Aliisza

My rotation: Use Mortal Strike as soon as its off cooldown always
    Keep rend refreshed as soon as its off the target
    Use overpower when its lit, and Mortal Strike is on cooldown
    Use Execute when its lit, and Mortal Strike is on CD, and Overpower is not lit
    Use Heroic Strike when having 100 rage, Mortal Strike is on CD and Execute+Overpower is not lit

Lately I have been using Rawr only to judge on which gear is better for me in raids and instances, and I am not sure if its actually telling the truth anymore. Also I cannot truly believe that if I would gem all strength or all ArP it would make such a drastical dps increase.

I have been trying out to reach the soft cap with Grim Toll in the last one week. Changed from the Greatness trinket and the Totc 5 man ArP trinket into my current two, in order to reach the soft cap.

The last thing I can think of, is that my weapon is not very great. Rawr have been telling that Quel'Delar would be a better choice, but I don't know what to believe anymore. I could buy it for a lot of gold, but would it really be helping my damage so much?

I have always liked being arms the most, but could not stop wondering if I am actually sucking at it, or if its my gear that isnt good enough :-\

Please excuse my noobness and being a sheep, I thought with all the 7-8k dps arms dps warriors here, someone could actually tell what can be wrong.

Re: Arms dps in need of aid!

Your rotation is off a bit.

Use execute when sudden death procs before MS or OP.
    Use HS when 80 or more rage, possibly 70ish if you have decent generation.
    Sure, it's your $14.95 a month to play as you want, but in a raid it's our $358.50 and we think you're retarded.
    Main http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...tumsana/simple
    Alt 7 Year Main Prot/deeps http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...inngrad/simple

Quote Originally Posted by Aliisza
    Hello everyone!

I have been reading the warrior forums for a while already, read all arp, and other posts here. I am not a big dps maniac either, only sometimes turning on the damage meters to see if I am doing okay.

Last night, I have been in Icecrown 10 with my guild, and we could not kill Saurfang for a reason. Meanwhile I have been checking my own damage, it was just around 4,7k. I thought this was good, but then a rogue joined too, and he easily did 5,2k dps with worse gear than I am having. Also the target had sunder armors at full stacks too, I had GotW,BoK+BoM buffs.

Here is my armory: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shadowsong&cn=Aliisza

My rotation: Use Mortal Strike as soon as its off cooldown always
    Keep rend refreshed as soon as its off the target
    Use overpower when its lit, and Mortal Strike is on cooldown
    Use Execute when its lit, and Mortal Strike is on CD, and Overpower is not lit
    Use Heroic Strike when having 100 rage, Mortal Strike is on CD and Execute+Overpower is not lit

Lately I have been using Rawr only to judge on which gear is better for me in raids and instances, and I am not sure if its actually telling the truth anymore. Also I cannot truly believe that if I would gem all strength or all ArP it would make such a drastical dps increase.

I have been trying out to reach the soft cap with Grim Toll in the last one week. Changed from the Greatness trinket and the Totc 5 man ArP trinket into my current two, in order to reach the soft cap.

The last thing I can think of, is that my weapon is not very great. Rawr have been telling that Quel'Delar would be a better choice, but I don't know what to believe anymore. I could buy it for a lot of gold, but would it really be helping my damage so much?

I have always liked being arms the most, but could not stop wondering if I am actually sucking at it, or if its my gear that isnt good enough :-\

Please excuse my noobness and being a sheep, I thought with all the 7-8k dps arms dps warriors here, someone could actually tell what can be wrong.

Wouldn't you want to use slam instead of heroic strike?. Especially if you're specced for 0.5s slam?
    "Cataclysm could have used more of Nozdormu. I think all he did was show up shirtless to Thrall's wedding."

-Anonymous priest

Soapyclean: I will try it out soon, thanks!

Muffinator: As far as I can see, I am not specced for improved slam, as the icon is grey in the Armory.

Deleted

Muffinator: As far as I can see, I am not specced for improved slam, as the icon is grey in the Armory.
    You use both, not either-or.

Heroic Strike is used reactively when you have high amounts of rage, while your carrying out your normal rotation. Slam is used when there is nothing avaliable to press.

why not? what do you do when MS is on cd and neither execute or overpower is lit then? stand around waiting?

oh my god your spec is just .... oh my god
    LOL that's why.

And I would have to disagree wiht the heroic strike thing. While it's good to use it at ~80+ rage, I don't think it's all about getting as many in as you can. I hardly EVER use it and do ~ 7.5k give or take.

Quote Originally Posted by Farahawnee View Post
    Not having an authenticator on your account is like not locking your windows because your front door is locked, and then wondering how a burglar got in.

Never been a fan of Incite.... it just looks so... bad.
    Wayy too much valuable stuff to give up to spec it imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Farahawnee View Post
    Not having an authenticator on your account is like not locking your windows because your front door is locked, and then wondering how a burglar got in.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot1291
    oh my god your spec is just .... oh my god
    LOL that's why.

And I would have to disagree wiht the heroic strike thing. While it's good to use it at ~80+ rage, I don't think it's all about getting as many in as you can. I hardly EVER use it and do ~ 7.5k give or take.
    So, you are saying it is because of my spec, that is why I do low damage.
    I always thought this spec cannot make such huge huge difference in dps - I mean, doing 7k or 5k while I do have almost all the must have arms talents in the arms tree.... and still you are saying its all because I put a few points on the protection tree, rather than on the fury.

LizzýEU: I do not stand around waiting, that is when I use heroic strike, if I have enough rage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbysteelz
    Which is why the number one arms warrior dps on festerguts' 2nd most damaging attack is heroic strike?

http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat...2631#damageout

Look at the all the top dps logs for arms in ICC. Heroic Strike is almost much everyones 2-3rd most damaging move even above MS, Execute, and OP.

Even without incite, the goal is to get as many extra heroic strikes as you can without starving yourself. Thats how you maximize dps. Your just gimping your dps if your not using it at about 75-ish rage.

And what are you giving up? If you have another warrior in the raid with imp commanding, there's no reason not to go Incite.
    Festergut feeds you massive amounts of rage from what I noticed, so I bet Arms can spam HS without any issues

on of your gap filler moves is gonna be slam( you're gonna use it when ms is on cd and nothings lit and you have 30-80 rage) its your dump if rage isnt friendly for any reason at all, id move those 2 points in unb. wrath asap, the 1 point of rage you get from it is gonna use useless since your on a pretty slow swing timer.
    saying that missing 2 points somewhere isn't gonna mess up your dps is wrong, esp since you sound like you wanna min/max in this situation.

p.s. the rogue beat you in dps because mutilate does nothing but top the meters
    PlayStation suporter.
    fb_Scud / RPG-HAD

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account

one word:
    Slam

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbysteelz
    Which is why the number one arms warrior dps on festerguts' 2nd most damaging attack is heroic strike?

http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat...2631#damageout

Look at the all the top dps logs for arms in ICC. Heroic Strike is almost much everyones 2-3rd most damaging move even above MS, Execute, and OP.

Even without incite, the goal is to get as many extra heroic strikes as you can without starving yourself. Thats how you maximize dps. Your just gimping your dps if your not using it at about 75-ish rage.

And what are you giving up? If you have another warrior in the raid with imp commanding, there's no reason not to go Incite.
    Two things about this. First, this is the festergut fight, where you are taking a lot of damage during the fight, so you in general have more rage, and can use HS more often.

Second, Incite out dps's the Imp Execute build only slightly on most fights, but is significantly more effective on fights with multiple targets.

Anyways, to the OP, you should be spec'd into imp Slam for any PvE arms build. Depending on your rotation, it can add about 1k dps. Slam should be used if everything is on cd/not active, and you have less than 75 rage.

always: Keep Rend up
    Use Suddendeath proccs immediately
    Use MS asap (when no SD procc)
    Use OP Proccs (when no SD procc, and MS on CD. but befor! TfB lastet longer as ~5 sek)
    Use Slam (if no proccs, and MS is on CD)

Use HS at 50 rage (with all raidbuffs). If you get rage starved, only use HS at 60-70 rage.

Keep up Sunderarmor (if no Prot or Furywarrior does)

Use Bladestorm with Trinket Proccs OR against Multiple Targets (watch for threat)
    (most Trinkets have a 45 sec ICD, so you can use BS ~ every 2nd procc)

Use Shattering Throw during Heroism/BL (for RaidDPS)

Slam is a big part of arms dps, as is heroic strike. You have to use them both at the right times and in the right amounts for max dps.

If you're having trouble with arms though, you may want to try fury as the rotation is a good deal easier, and I believe it scales better and is currently top warrior dps. Not to mention you get other useful things such as an interrupt without changing stances, and better sustained AoE damage.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...leazer&group=2

That's my armory if you need to look up a good fury raiding build with glyphs and such.

If you're dead set on staying arms, follow the tips in this forum, and especially the stuff about improved slam.

If you use Bladestorm in while adds are spawned on Saurfang don't expect high dps, serious.

Quote Originally Posted by halendor
    If you use Bladestorm in while adds are spawned on Saurfang don't expect high dps, serious.
    If you use BS on saurfang when adds are up you should be taken out back and shot. Seriously, why risk gaining aggro on the adds.