Thread: gems query

15+ Year Old Account

gems query

Hi guys

I play a FFB mage (with jewelcrafting), and after reading through our mage 'ABC' basics and similar articles on Elitist Jerks and other sites, I remain confused about gem priority.

I presently have four pieces of 245 gear, each of which has a blue socket. As two blues are required to fulfil my meta requirement, should I be gemming SP+spirit in (at least) two of those sockets or something else?

With the two remaining blue sockets, should I be continuing the SP+spirit trend, or placing runed dragons eyes into those sockets to maximise SP while mitigating socket bonus loss?

I know that this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I've read opinions recently which suggest spirit to be a diminishing stat. Gems aren't cheap, and I'd rather not waste them on silly choices.

Thanks in advance.
    Remember this, kids, it is very important. Even if your mommy makes you a super hero costume, do not attempt to do any of these things, especially flying. Because you cannot do it. You do not have super powers. Because there is only one Super Grover. And that is me.

Re: gems query

IMO if you're meeting your meta requirement with the first two gems, everything else should be SP. If that means you can put dragons eyes in there, go for it.

15+ Year Old Account

Much appreciated.

So I am clear, do you agree with SP+spirit, or should I opt for SP+stam (as suggested in our ABC mage basics guide) for the two required blue gems?
    Remember this, kids, it is very important. Even if your mommy makes you a super hero costume, do not attempt to do any of these things, especially flying. Because you cannot do it. You do not have super powers. Because there is only one Super Grover. And that is me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yerbury
    Much appreciated.

So I am clear, do you agree with SP+spirit, or should I opt for SP+stam (as suggested in our ABC mage basics guide) for the two required blue gems?
    Match all sockets as long as you have 2pc t9. All of them. Sp/spirit in blue, Sp/haste in yellow, I'll let you figure out what goes in red 8)

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Skarrd
    Match all sockets as long as you have 2pc t9. All of them. Sp/spirit in blue, Sp/haste in yellow, I'll let you figure out what goes in red 8)
    Strength?

We really need to update the sticky... also, I'm noticing that Arcane mages are almost at a point where Reckless beats out runed for red and blue sockets. :O Add the following to your gemming templates in Rawr and play around a bit (give yourself 4pt10 for starters):

Reckless, Reckless, Reckless, Reckless, CSD
    Reckless, Reckless, Purified, Reckless, CSD
    Runed, Reckless, Reckless, Reckless, CSD

10+ Year Old Account

As a FFB mage with 2/5 T9 probably glyphed for Molten Armor, gemming Sp+spi for all blue sockets would be preferred (at least all mine has a +5sp bonus or greater). If you don't have 3 red sockets, fill your belt buckle with one dragon's eye and the other 2 in the blue sockets with the worst bonuses. Put sp+haste in all yellow sockets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Trolling will result in the loss of your forum posting privileges, and the removal of your genitals with my teeth while I hum Oasis songs.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Valanna
    As a FFB mage with 2/5 T9 probably glyphed for Molten Armor, gemming Sp+spi for all blue sockets would be preferred (at least all mine has a +5sp bonus or greater). If you don't have 3 red sockets, fill your belt buckle with one dragon's eye and the other 2 in the blue sockets with the worst bonuses. Put sp+haste in all yellow sockets.
    Thanks for this. I went ahead and socketed SP+spirit in my blue sockets, with runed cardinal rubies (did I get it right, Skarrd? ) in the occasional red and SP+haste in yellows. Nice to see posts confirming the position.

An updated sticky would help, as some of the information there isn't in line with current thinking. Idiots like me would then be encouraged not to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Yerbury
    Thanks for this. I went ahead and socketed SP+spirit in my blue sockets, with runed cardinal rubies (did I get it right, Skarrd? ) in the occasional red and SP+haste in yellows. Nice to see posts confirming the position.

An updated sticky would help, as some of the information there isn't in line with current thinking. Idiots like me would then be encouraged not to post.
    It's hard to get things stickied without a dedicated mage forum moderator...