Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How to maximize DPS as a frost mage?

Didn't 3.3 bridge Frost as a viable raiding spec?

I am just wondering what is a good build to get really good DPS.

On dummies (I know they don't really count), I can get up to nearly 4.5-5k with Arcane
    Frost sticks at 2.5-3k. I don't know how to make it any higher. My build is probably lame since I don't really play Frost or ever played frost.

Any help?

Re: How to maximize DPS as a frost mage?

I'm in the same boat. I want to try out a decent frost spec but I cant seem to find one. Since ive never played as frost id love to know rotations as well. Im so tired of arcane
    Quote Originally Posted by Drizel
    I feel like I should find you irl and slap you for being so god damn stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser
    I once told a girl who is a WoW player that I was on a date with, "Your pants are epic, I hope they drop."
    Dispenser begins to cast Portal: Undercity
    Kanye West casts: "MAGE, I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU AND I'M GONNA LET YOU FINISH..."
    Dispenser is interrupted
    Kanye West casts: "BUT MEDIVH HAD ONE OF THE BEST PORTALS OF ALL TIME!"

just made this quick as the spec is pretty simple. you can change around a few talents. http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#of0w0u0cZZVIccofu0czgfst

Your dps will be lower on a dummy because its not immune to stuns so your deep freeze will do no damage to a dummy but it will do a very high amount of damage to a raid boss.

also do you use the infinite water elemental glyph ?

Rotation is more simple than anything - just spam frostbolts and use deep freeze whenever its up (and fingers of frost is up obviously) use icy veins with trinktet use or when trinket procs. You should be able to get alot more than 3k on a dummy though if your arcane dps is 5k. (frost should be about 4k then i'd say

First of all, using the dummies is pointless since about 10% of your dps wont be active since the dummies cant be stunned, deep freeze wont work. Also TtW isnt active aswell which is a dps loss when hitting the dummies. Pretty much when brainfreeze procs use the on the ghost charge on FoF, if brainfreeze isnt up use icelance, and when its off cd use DF on the 2nd charge of FoF. Its pointless to use DF on the ghost charge unless you've pretty much mastered the timing on it.

This may be a dumb question, but is Spell Impact worth it? Do you use ice lance that often, and if so, when do you use it? I assumed you would just spam frostbolts with fireballs during brain freeze procs and deep freeze whenever that cooldown is up.

Quote Originally Posted by tcrash247
    This may be a dumb question, but is Spell Impact worth it? Do you use ice lance that often, and if so, when do you use it? I assumed you would just spam frostbolts with fireballs during brain freeze procs and deep freeze whenever that cooldown is up.
    You use ice lance never, so don't take it.

What about frostbite talent? Any actual use of it on bosses? Im thinking of dropping brain freeze talent until getting 2xT10

10+ Year Old Account

http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...00030152231351

that's the current build i'm using.

As to Maniac2, instant fireballs can raise your DPS so Brain Freeze I think is a must.
    And Spell Impact for increased Fire Ball damage?

spell impact i consider a must for fireball dmg AND icelance. as most are aware, icelance isnt that good to incorporate into your rotation on FoF as opposed to fireball, DF or more frostbolts, however its good to tack on the end of a frostbolt when target is close to death and you may not get in another cast or on off targets like trash mobs and or boss adds. still has its place. but mostly get it for the fireball dmg.

plus there isnt really a better place to put those other talents if you look at the builds

in response to frostbite.. its not really a good talent inless you spec for trash mob dmg and aoe. so it would still slightly boost those encounters but isnt recomended as thers better places to put talents and trash mobs isnt normaly a problem.

have you guys tried using frost on anub'arak hc 25 yet? if so what was the results?
    I've tested frost in icc and the results were actually quite suprising, with 2 of the fights so far requiring a good lvl of movement I actually came out top 3 dps, alongside an aff lock and on occasions beat our arc mages.
    You can never go back and change the beginning, but you can always write a new ending.

10+ Year Old Account

Been beating everyone at DPS so far (in heroics though) on frost. Going at about 4-4.5k in heroics.

Rotation: Frostbolt and if Brain Freeze procs, cast fireball right after, on trash, if Fingers procs, i usually use deepfreeze and let out 3 quick Ice Lances..gets me about 6-7k each when crits so thats about 21k in less than 2 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarrd
    You use ice lance never, so don't take it.
    Some people may not use IL skaard, but all frost mages use their free fireball when BF procs so Spell Impact is a must. As far as what spec mages should be using for frost, I suggest using this spec...

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#of0Vc...0czTfkt:nRi0zc

You really only need 1 point into Enduring Winter seeing as how most of your dps is Frostbolt spam you'll see plenty of the replenishment procs. Also not having 1 point into Imp Blizzard is stupid for those who think FoF will still proc off it without that 1 point. Although trash mobs dont really matter so much when trying to impress guildies on dps, you still need to kill those mobs as quickly as you can. For me this seems like the best setup spec wise for Frost Mages.

Why are people getting ice barrier in there speccs? Seems a waste of a global CD to me, you either get healed like everyone else in the raid, ice block if your going to die, or use every gcd to dps as hard as you can. Im going to be trying a frost specc for heroic anub on monday, we use 2 off tanks and getting the positioning of the adds just close enough for aoe without them getting pwnt from the aura is a pain in the ass. Hopefully the increased radius on blizzard and the FOF proc crits take me higher than the frostfire bolt was.

Quote Originally Posted by chrion
    Why are people getting ice barrier in there speccs? Seems a waste of a global CD to me, you either get healed like everyone else in the raid, ice block if your going to die, or use every gcd to dps as hard as you can. Im going to be trying a frost specc for heroic anub on monday, we use 2 off tanks and getting the positioning of the adds just close enough for aoe without them getting pwnt from the aura is a pain in the ass. Hopefully the increased radius on blizzard and the FOF proc crits take me higher than the frostfire bolt was.
    People get ice barrier as a survivability talent because a dead dps means no dps. If 1gcd could mean you do not healed for X amount of time, and the healers could focus on other dps/tanks, which could mean more dps.

18/0/53 is what I used in H ToGC Champions fight and would Blizzard all the time to keep the PvP fight controlled.

There's a ton of trash in ICC and I'm having a good time spamming LB

Quote Originally Posted by TeriyakiNinjaChicken

Rotation: Frostbolt and if Brain Freeze procs, cast fireball right after, on trash, if Fingers procs, i usually use deepfreeze and let out 3 quick Ice Lances..gets me about 6-7k each when crits so thats about 21k in less than 2 seconds.
    So what you're saying is you can fit 4 GCD in less than 2 seconds? How mate?

Why are people getting ice barrier in there speccs? Seems a waste of a global CD to me, you either get healed like everyone else in the raid, ice block if your going to die, or use every gcd to dps as hard as you can.
    CAUSE... Its damn !!!awesome!!! talent, u WotLK nab!!! It prevents spell interrupting if u let adds touch u somehow cause of ur little brains... If u havent ever played frost then keep ur mouth shut, cause u know nothing bout frost mages... NOSTALGIA!!!!!!

If you don't get ice barrier than you might as well just go fire.

10+ Year Old Account

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#of0wc...0czgfkt:nRiczo

The build I am currently using - I am thinking of swapping out Glyph of Molten Armor though, seeing as Frosts Crit rate is so high just with talents - Its a homemade build and I've never raided as Frost before, so any tips would be appreciated.

Also about the Ice Barrier question - Its lovely on several fights, and saved my arse on DBS a couple of times the first time we did it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    Just when I thought I was done with class changes, they pull me back in!

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanos
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#of0wc...0czgfkt:nRiczo

The build I am currently using - I am thinking of swapping out Glyph of Molten Armor though, seeing as Frosts Crit rate is so high just with talents - Its a homemade build and I've never raided as Frost before, so any tips would be appreciated.

Also about the Ice Barrier question - Its lovely on several fights, and saved my arse on DBS a couple of times the first time we did it.
    The only reason to ever drop molten armor is if your crit rate is well over 50% (raid buffed) without it. Even then, I'm not so sure. What else would you use?