Thread: [Music] Metal

10+ Year Old Account
    New Panopticon track, it carries on pretty much where Roads to the North left off.

https://nordvis.bandcamp.com/album/autumn-eternal

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    New Panopticon track, it carries on pretty much where Roads to the North left off.

https://nordvis.bandcamp.com/album/autumn-eternal
    I heard this a few days ago... Friday was it? But I thought it was pretty good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Melodeath AOTY incoming (from the guys of Slumber and Atoma):

Since we're there:

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I heard this a few days ago... Friday was it? But I thought it was pretty good.
    Yep, liked it as well.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-09-20 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    Seeing Behemoth/Bölzer on Oct 1st and Dev Townsend on Oct 22nd, why must both of them be on thursdays?
    Bolzer is AMAZING. Probably my favorite metal band of the last couple years, Aura is fucking god-tier.

OT: I've been listening to Power Trip and Abyssal recently, pretty good stuff. Looking forward to Deafheaven's new record, the latest track was kinda meh though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seeing Blind Guardian on October 31. Great way to spend Halloween.

10+ Year Old Account
    Posting some titscore

Toby Driver of maudlin of the Well, Kayo Dot etc is in it, so yeah check it out.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-09-21 at 08:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Toby Driver of maudlin of the Well, Kayo Dot etc is in it, so yeah check it out.
    Cool. That means it's some nice easy listening.

10+ Year Old Account
    /r/metal did a voting thingy for 2015 album of the year (so far), here are the results:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Metal/comme...uarter_review/

Gotta say it's better than expected, they covered most of the good stuff, but holy shit did they fuck up by forgetting super important stuff like Black Fast, Tempel, Dodheimsgard, Adversarial, Amestigon etc etc. Anyway, thought I'd share, it may help some here catch up with 2015 stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Cool. That means it's some nice easy listening.
    Yep it's pretty comfy and chill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, to be fair, the link says 3rd quarter. DHG definitely wasn't third quarter.

Also, have something that definitely won't be album of the year for 2015.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goriq View Post
    Sumac didn't even make the Top 52, The Hirsch Effekt isn't even in there, Sylosis is a bit far down, since I know that no one else criticizes it for the same reasons I do, so it should be higher up, High on Fire and the new The Black Dahlia Murder are a bit high up, Ad Nauseam is a bit far down even tho I didn't like it all that much.

Is the new Mgla really THAT good? I haven't gotten around to giving it a listen yet.
    Its pretty good but its not top 10 material for me, maybe top 20. The fact that some stuff is that high is probably due to reddit circlejerking the bigger and more mainstream releases over smaller ones. I wouldn't really put much stock in the order.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll still try to give it a listen. I listened to their With Hearts Toward None album one or two years ago and liked it at the time, but I never revisited it and I'm also pretty salty about black metal as a whole atm.
    Of all the black metal flavors you chose to be salty. Then again there's always metalcore tbh.

Anyway, let's start with the basics, how do you feel about these? (listen to them all, wholly).

Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-09-22 at 02:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    But I already know all of those. Anyway:
    Dissection
    Indifferent

Burzum
    >Varg
    Indifferent

Emperor
    Indifferent

Darkthrone
    Listened to that one and I think Soulside Journey a bit before, nothing really made me come back.

Ulver
    I like Capitel V, haven't really listened to the rest.

Deafheaven
    Loved it when it came out, haven't really listened to it in a while since it feels like it got a little stale.

Bathory
    I tried to listen to Bathory a few times, but I just space out whenever I try. They are a band that I want to take a closer look at tho.

Mayhem
    Vocals on that one are shit. To the rest: indifferent.

Selection of BM that I dig (mostly vntrve): early Woods of Ypres, Tuukaria, Hamleypa, Der Weg einer Freiheit, Deafheaven, Liturgy, Ancient, Eisengott/Schwertzeit-era Minas Morgul, Behemoth (The Satanist), Wolves in the Throne Room (Two Hunters), Enslaved (mostly post 2000), Impetuous Ritual, Bölzer, Havukruunu, Nullingroots, Leviathan, Urfaust, Botanist.

If I'd like any of the well known stuff I wouldn't feel about it the way I do. My problem with it is that it, theoretically, has a lot of elements that I enjoy but most bands don't execute them in a way that appeals to me. Go to the Realm and listen to all the black metal on the frontpage, all of it literally sounds the same, incredibly bland.

I put Deafheaven in as a joke btw lol, to test you whether you are trve or not. You failed my friend.

Well, it becomes obvious you don't like black metal other than modern atmo, 'gaze and some melostuff. I agree that a lot of black metal bands sound bland, but there are gems everywhere.

Anyway, check out these bad boys:

Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-09-22 at 03:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dear god man, what IS your thing?

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish I knew, lol. It's incredibly hard for me to find music that I really like. A lot of the time I really just feel indifferent about what I hear.
    edit: Well, all of the bands I mentioned are among the things I really like though.
    What I really don't get is how you feel indifferent about the "progenitor" bands when almost every band you mentioned copies them in one way or another. For example the first 6 minutes of the first Weakling track has got to be one of the most copy pasted arrangements in black metal. Let alone the original, oldschool black metal stuff. Another example, the first track of Burzum's Hvis record is copypasted almost 1:1 on WITTR's second track of Two Hunters.
    Just to name a few.

The same exact thing applies in death metal.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-09-22 at 04:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish I'd get it, dude. Something about how those bands that I like adapt what the others did just catches my attention, I guess. It's just that I literally feel indifferent about most music, not liking, not disliking it, I wouldn't mind having it on the background, but nothing makes me come back to it, nothing about it really stays in my head after I stop listening to it.

I've listened to so many "essentials" yet when I look at the track listings I don't remember a single note because it just doesn't stick with me. It's incredibly frustrating.
    Heh, you may get it eventually. I was about 20 until I finally understood and loved death metal for example.

It's like a whole new world opened to me. I could finally see.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-09-22 at 05:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably technically not metal, but who the fuck cares. This boots hiney!

10+ Year Old Account

I liked it. Shoot me.

- - - Updated - - -

@ Goriq (and likely others as well):

TIME TO GET SLIMY, THE FLYING SNAILS HAVE ARRIVED. It's free at their bandcamp http://slugdge.bandcamp.com/album/di...idden-kingdoms

- - - Updated - - -

New Tyranny dropped out of nowhere!

10+ Year Old Account
    Posting the comfiest song of 2015:

That whole new Riverside album is god tier, I think it's definitely up to par with their first four albums. It takes a few listens to enshroud you in its melancholic magnificence (for you to "get it" basically), but once it does, oh boy them feels.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-09-23 at 02:45 PM.

Just gonna leave it here...

Track II & VI. Simply mind blowing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erisdar View Post
    Just gonna leave it here...

Track II & VI. Simply mind blowing.
    You mean V. Those fucking drums, das it mane.

So much amazing death metal this year. Horrendous, Ad Nauseam, Sarpanitum, Adversarial, Abyssal... Yummy.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-09-23 at 06:53 PM.