Thread: [Music] Metal

Page 8 of 463 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

Re: Metal

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffmeister
    Just came back to say that the lack of actual metal in this thread was very high, seeing as this is 'sposed to be a metal-thread.
    I Luv u

Also /Salute to the Guy who poster Windir!!
    (goddamnit that iPod autocorrection stuff sucks)
    atm listening go Vinterriket - Tortured By Solitude
    nachtticket.blogspot.com
    music blog, mainly (black) metal
    last.fm/user/veash

Melodic Death Metal / Trash Metal ... Kreator , Sepultura , Sodom , Slayer , Serpentine Fire (Macedonian trash metal band) and many others...

Rammstein: Well, before i started listening to metal, that was in 2002 or something, i was a lil' brat that listened to black eyed peas and eminem and such. One of my classmates played the album "mutter" for me, and i was sold in first shot. AWESOME BAND!

KoRn: One of my fave bands. My neighbor showed me a music video for them in 07'. Damn, that was life-altering!

Machine head: Im a guitar hero fan. Now, with that said, i bought GH:M and started playing through it on expert drums. Then this song, "beautiful mourning" pops up. Do i need to say more?

Hatesphere: Confirmation-gift from a friend of the family, that heard i liked metal in general...

King diamond/Mercyful fate: Random youtube boredom made me find it!

Avenged sevenfold: Another case of guitar hero here! Bought the modern metal-pack for GH3, heard the song "almost easy", researched a bit, rest is history.

Rhapsody: My neighbor is kind of an AMV-stoner-dude, and he suddenly found the song "dawn of victory" through an AMV, and sent me a copy.

Kreator: I just messed around on wikipedia, and somehow found these guys. Three days later i have the "enemy of god" special edition cd in my palm.

I know alot of awesome band/genres im listening to, those were just the ones sticking out from my memory. And i didnt mention the bands that were instantly win, like the big 4 of trash as an example.
    Syobon action-cat for secret last boss in WotLK!

Quote Originally Posted by hellboy666
    Melodic Death Metal / Trash Metal ... Kreator , Sepultura , Sodom , Slayer , Serpentine Fire (Macedonian trash metal band) and many others...
    It's called THrash metal, not Trash

10+ Year Old Account

my list from a-z (sort of)

Baroness
    Dimmu Borgir
    Dream Theater!!!
    Equilibrium
    Evergrey
    Finntroll
    Gojira!!!
    In Flames
    Insomnium
    Mastodon!!!
    Meshuggah
    Mnemic
    Nightwish
    Nine Inch Nails!!!
    Rammstein
    Rob Zombie
    Symphony X!!!
    Tool!!!
    Trivium
    Zonaria

Quote Originally Posted by Marweinicus
    Ahhh metal.

Let me just start this up by stating that mainstream sucks. And I am saying that in a nice manner
    So Amon Amarth & As I Lay Dying isn't mainstream? D'uh...

I can't stand such bands like Sepultura, Kreator etc., whole T(h, it DOES make sense without h)rash Metal is terribad....

@ Asrial: Rammstein isn't metal, they're Industrial Hard Rock, but somewhat close to Industrial Metal.

http://www.metal-archives.com/userco...kname=Novanter < I think this clearly expresses my taste of music the best way. Listing up every band I#ve archived here would take years =D
    nachtticket.blogspot.com
    last.fm/user/veash

Quote Originally Posted by vrede

I can't stand such bands like Sepultura, Kreator etc., whole T(h, it DOES make sense without h)rash Metal is terribad....

@ Asrial: Rammstein isn't metal, they're Industrial Hard Rock, but somewhat close to Industrial Metal.

http://www.metal-archives.com/userco...kname=Novanter < I think this clearly expresses my taste of music the best way. Listing up every band I#ve archived here would take years =D
    Man, that's the silliest thing I have ever heard. You know, more than 3/4ths of your list would not even exist without thrash. As I am sure you also know, 1st wave black metal was black/thrash. Also, I see you have some Metallica and Toxic Holocaust on there. I wonder what genre those are? HMMMMMMMMM!
    Rabadaba skeebie dee doo diddle doo dah

Black sabbath, Metallica besides that i listen alot to Punkrock bands such as The Misfits and Ramones.

Quote Originally Posted by Kataxu
    Man, that's the silliest thing I have ever heard. You know, more than 3/4ths of your list would not even exist without thrash. As I am sure you also know, 1st wave black metal was black/thrash. Also, I see you have some Metallica and Toxic Holocaust on there. I wonder what genre those are? HMMMMMMMMM!
    So the first bm bands were black/trash? Go listen De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas of Mayhem and some Burzum & old sql Dimmu stuff.....
    I'm also having Manowar here, does this imply I'm actually listening to them? Just yesterday I got the whole Manowar discography and some Heaven Shall Burn albums, I just own them for the sake of having them, not actually listening to (60 songs of HSB, listening to up to 2 of them because I don'r really like them....).

I never even listened to a whole Toxic Holocaust song because their music (and beside of that, the cover also does) sucks :<
    nachtticket.blogspot.com
    last.fm/user/veash

So the first bm bands were black/trash? Go listen De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas of Mayhem and some Burzum & old sql Dimmu stuff.....
    Nonono... 1st wave black metal. Burzum and Dimmu are second wave. Mayhem was first-wave black metal, but their sound changed to the second wave. Let me put a little list for you, for an example.

1st wave:
    Von
    Mayhem (Pre-De Mysteriis)
    Root
    Bathory
    Hellhammer
    Vulcano
    Necrovore
    Tormentor
    Sarcofago
    Blasphemy

2nd wave:
    Darkthrone
    Mayhem
    Immortal
    Dimmu Borgir
    Dark Funeral
    Enthroned
    Burzum
    Satyricon
    Emperor
    Ulver

Essentially, first-wave black metal was not called that while it was around, but only until people recognized later, the particular bands that had the earliest elements of second wave and modern black metal in their music.

Dude, how could you mention first wave black metal and not the most important ones? You know, a couple little bands called Mercyful Fate and Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganoes
    Dude, how could you mention first wave black metal and not the most important ones? You know, a couple little bands called Mercyful Fate and Venom.
    Because Mercyful Fate and Venom only have two things in common with second wave black metal: Lyrics & Theme. Neither of those have anything to do with the music style. Mercyful Fate is heavy metal, and Venom is speed/early thrash.

Deleted

They aren't.

Maybe more known, but doesn't make them mainstream, far from it.

Amon Amarth still hasn't changed much compared to their first album (Although they become more melodic, which isn't a bad thing).

AILD is one of the more known metalcore bands out there. Personally I didn't like the first album, was kinda demo-ish but these guys added in some more clean vocals (And that's pure awesomeness when listening to Forsaken or An Ocean Between Us). Can't wait for their next album.

Also, here's another one. Pretty bad-ass intro:

Destroy, Destroy, Destroy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NhxvN4pfKI

Because Mercyful Fate and Venom only have two things in common with second wave black metal: Lyrics & Theme. Neither of those have anything to do with the music style. Mercyful Fate is heavy metal, and Venom is speed/early thrash.
    First wave black metal had very little in common with second wave black metal. Mercyful Fate and Venom WERE first wave black metal. They started it, they defined it, they embodied it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastrius
    More Metalcore/Hardcore, but meh

Asking Alexandria (Fucking Amazing)
    We Came as Romans (Great melodies)
    The Word Alive
    Miss May I
    Attack Attack! (Hardcore + Synth riffs = Win.)
    In Fear and Faith
    Enter Shikari
    yeah.. Good bands but I'm surprised no one raged and crucified you for that list.
    come out with your hands on your heads, you are surrounded by armed bastards

Why are alot of metalheads "music elitists" and are seemingly impossible of grasping the notion of opinion?

I ask people why they like metal, I get the smug answer "Because its the superior music."

They seem to be under the impression that contemporary electronic music shouldn't be liked by anyone but the stupid.

I'm not biased. I like both. And don't get me wrong, I'll occasionally talk to someone who likes metal for it's composition or production and not because they think it's cool "Lol rawk lol headbanging lol."... But I seem to find 'supremacy' alot more common within metalheads. Weird stuff.

First wave black metal had very little in common with second wave black metal. Mercyful Fate and Venom WERE first wave black metal. They started it, they defined it, they embodied it.
    Sure they did inspire the themes and imagery of Satanism and Evil, but I'm sorry... apart from that, they did nothing for black metal. At the very MOST Venom was a big influence for early thrash, which is what most first wave black metal bands were sort of playing, but with the earliest of black metal elements as we know them. Musically, Hellhammer and Bathory for example, had more impact on second wave black metal than Venom or Mercyful Fate. This is common knowledge.

Sure they did inspire the themes and imagery of Satanism and Evil, but I'm sorry... apart from that, they did nothing for black metal. At the very MOST Venom was a big influence for early thrash, which is what most first wave black metal bands were sort of playing, but with the earliest of black metal elements as we know them. Musically, Hellhammer and Bathory for example, had more impact on second wave black metal than Venom or Mercyful Fate. This is common knowledge.
    Venom created the name black metal. Venom was also the most extremely Satanic band of the time.

Mercyful Fate created the idea of wearing black metal corpse paint.

They were the most famous bands of the first wave of black metal, which is commonly noted as being exceedingly different, musically speaking, from the second wave.

From wikipedia:

"The first wave of black metal refers to those bands during the 1980s who influenced the black metal sound and formed a prototype for the genre. They were often speed metal or thrash metal bands."

Quote Originally Posted by Kobrakai
    Why are alot of metalheads "music elitists" and are seemingly impossible of grasping the notion of opinion?

I ask people why they like metal, I get the smug answer "Because its the superior music."

They seem to be under the impression that contemporary electronic music shouldn't be liked by anyone but the stupid.

I'm not biased. I like both. And don't get me wrong, I'll occasionally talk to someone who likes metal for it's composition or production and not because they think it's cool "Lol rawk lol headbanging lol."... But I seem to find 'supremacy' alot more common within metalheads. Weird stuff.
    Don't spend much time talking with hipsters, eh?

Venom created the name black metal. Venom was also the most extremely Satanic band of the time.

Mercyful Fate created the idea of wearing black metal corpse paint.

They were the most famous bands of the first wave of black metal, which is commonly noted as being exceedingly different, musically speaking, from the second wave.

From wikipedia:

"The first wave of black metal refers to those bands during the 1980s who influenced the black metal sound and formed a prototype for the genre. They were often speed metal or thrash metal bands."

Venom creating the name does not mean that they are first wave. Explain to me what musical elements are in Venom that are shared with second wave? Explain what musical elements in Mercyful Fate are shared with second wave? What you don't realize, and what Wikipedia is not saying, is that first wave black metal is essentially a crossgenre. It's Black/Thrash.

I'm sorry man, but no matter what wikipedia says, if the band has no MUSICAL relation to black metal, then it is NOT first wave black metal. Venom and Mercyful Fate have no musical relation to black metal. Corpse paint, satanic lyrics, and titles.... that's all they have.