Protection Paladin in Arena

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could take a sec to explain to me about prot being so much more viabe in pvp. I play a holy spec and a ret spec but I read nothing but fail for the ret pally. I do see stuff on "go prot". Ret is junk go prot. But with that bringing said I don't see much on protection. I k ow the season just started but I just need some answers.

Why is prot so much better? What gear would I wear in arena and what would I gem? What would a prot paladin go for gear. I mean nothing is geared toward protection. That is why going prot does not make any sense to me.

But if someone could take a sec and explain it to me that would be great.

Whitey

Re: Protection Paladin in Arena

basicly wear your ret gear with a slow one hand. gem as if you were ret. If you dont have the gear to do it then it wont work at all.

Deleted

basicly wear your ret gear with a slow one hand
    wrong, a fast weapon is desirable.
    prot palas have no attacks that scale with weapon speed (hammer of righteousness is based on weapon dps) therefore a fast weapon is better because you can stack sov quicker.

try to get 2pT10 it's a huge damage boost.

Normally, you get that back with divine plea and getting hit by melee
    mana is not that much of a problem. if you manage to hit something at least once every 15 seconds divine plea will allways be up. it cannot be dispelled and you can only run oom if you use the full rotation. there is time for burst and time to regen.

yeah im not exactly up to date on the pally stuffs but last i remember you went more prot pala if you were pally healing in arena (idk i guess the mitigation?).

Prot doesn't have massive dmg, and it kinda requires people hitting you to do dmg (from what I have seen) so that means unless you are getting smacked (and if you're not healing you won't be the primary for it) you won't be dishing it out, plus there isn't like a bunch of nuking.

Judgements, hammer of righteous...... ummm exorcism?

Yeah most likely if you're trying to dps in arena imo stick with ret---Warrior prot is pvp viable, DKs don't have a prot specific spec, but their tanking abilities still leave them viable

Pally prot ehhhh not so much

Prot has more burst than Ret. Avenger's Shield with the glyph and Wings popped really hurts plus gives a nasty Silence and Snare combo every 30 seconds. I've gotten regular 10k-11k crits with wings on, not including the pyro rocket I macro in for it. Not to mention your Hammer CD is going to be up more regularly.

Mana is easily the biggest problem, especially if you're in arena. Yes, you can renew Divine Plea, but you can easily spend that time in a sheep or Frost Trap. Once that's off you have a good 45 seconds to wait on the little mana you have. This is a lesser concern for BGs/World PvP though, since you can supplement this with mana potions/injectors and Lay on Hands.

TL;DR: Go Prot if you want more control, bulkyness, and burst. Go Ret if you want sustained damage, repentance CC, and defensive utility (stun removal, off heals, etc).

Deleted

prots do not require being attacked as 99,9% of your damage will be active.
    rets highest damage ability is judgement whereas prot judgement will hit for ~2k noncrit.

on the other hand a prot pala will crit for equal amounts with hammer of righteousness and shield of righteousness. both can easily do about the same damage as a ret's judgement.

the real strength of a protection paladin is, in fact, not being focused all the time like a retribution pala plus a silence that crits for >10k on low resilience targets...

Well there seems to be some different answers to my question. Does anyone have a build and glyphs that a prot pally should use in pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by keke
    Basically people are writing:

"If you fail at pvp and this game - go prot warrior or prot paladin." That's how it is today, and don't anyone dare to say otherwise. Even though warriors warbringer talent is nerfed, prot paladins are still the same pain in the adds.
    Dude, did I make you mad? Last time I checked we had duel spec. I wAs just wondering why prot is so much fun. I was asking a simple question. I did not force a response out of you dude, damn. Fucking loser

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by whitey235
    Well there seems to be some different answers to my question. Does anyone have a build and glyphs that a prot pally should use in pvp.
    Glyph of Avenger's Shield is a must have, the rest of them can be adjusted depending on your situation. Some usable glyphs include Salvation (20% self damage reduction CD), Judgement (fairly obvious), ShoR (lackluster, but it has a use if you're seriously having mana problems)

Quote Originally Posted by Zelt
    wrong, a fast weapon is desirable.
    prot palas have no attacks that scale with weapon speed (hammer of righteousness is based on weapon dps) therefore a fast weapon is better because you can stack sov quicker.

try to get 2pT10 it's a huge damage boost.
    At the same time, slow weapons yield higher Seal hits, making them burstier.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac

Don't you also have reckoning for Protribution?
    Hide behind a little Bloodelf Paladin?!? Ridiculous! Make way for the Beef of Light! I will shield you, little ones, and should I fall, remember that I taste amazing with Mustard.

Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac

And Seals proc off of HotR, Judge (with at least 1/2 JotJ) and ShoR.
    So ya slower weapons are better.

Deleted

in my experience. i am loosing a lot of damage if i am forced to switch due the lack of sov stacks.
    therefore i'm currently running with the 245 pvp sword and a 1.5 seks icc 10 axe. switching between them is the key.
    if there was a fast pvp weapon i would use it...

Protpvp with a huntard and a restodruid is retardedly fun. go for healer and u can get his cooldowns gone in less than 10 seconds. wait for avengers shield to repop or simply kick his ass the first 10 seconds.

even so. retri is alot more constant pressure even if it has a little less burst.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!