Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: Positive PuG Experiences - Who made you smile lately?

Everytime I tell a tank to pull more so I have to try on the disc priest I'm leveling and he lstens i get happy.

Or another on my priest, after havnig a poor tank quit on us towards the end of ulduman, getting the dps to tank the mobs and keeping them up all the way through.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

My freshly dinged 80 priest with full heirloom gear, quest gear, and 2 i200 boe epics was going to start running randoms for triumph gear. Well I get Gundrak and a decently geared group. Despite my best efforts, I cannot get above ~1500 dps even on trash. I tried mixing DoTs and mind sear and everything I could, but stuff died too fast and I was quickly falling behind the others in the group. After the 3rd boss the group starts towards the optional boss and I thought to myself, great an extra emblem. Well all of the sudden I find myself loading Dalaran. I was a little annoyed considering no one ever said a word, even when I needed on an upgrade belt.

Well I quickly queue again and get a group for VH. This group is quite nice and chatty. Somehow we get to talking and I mention how my last group booted me without a word, most likely for my "low" dps, but I jokingly mention how I suspect they were mad that I needed on an upgrade and they felt that I was a "ninja" stealing their shards. We have a good laugh and the healing priest (I went dps to start heroics as I was unsure of my gear/skill at healing) assures me that he hates people like that as well and another member jokingly states he is only doing heroics for the shards and would also be upset with me. As fate would have it, another upgrade for me drops, and as I am typing in party chat, he says in party, "I can already see it coming, you're going to ninja my shard aren't you", and I of course apologize and mention that I'd like to "ninja" it for myself. The run went great and we all had a great time and lots of laughs.

For all I know the first group was just someone misclicking kick instead of inspect, and typically people are sheep and just click yes. But I suppose without that bad experience, I wouldn't have had such a great follow up run.

The best LFD dungeon =

People who shut up, put up, and go.

Get to the end of the boss with no dramas no whining, a happy kthxBYE and leave.

Nothing makes me happier than people who know what their doing.

That's why my misdirection multishot volley macro is the greatest thing on earth.

Eeevery tank keeps aggro. n-n

Helping 2 DPS friends out of mine that had been queueing to get their random out of the way and done with. They really wanted those 2 frostys. I've taken my Resto Shammy to generally bring some support to the group and some healing of course, due to them being a Mage and Warlock respectfully.

We queue, wait a few minutes as is normal for our battlegroup late at night. PoS comes up and I'm like, "Shizzen!" Now I know my two DPS friends are up for this both being at least ToC 10 and ICC 10/25 geared between them. Take a look at the 3rd DPS we were given to find we now had a full ICC 25 Geared Fury Warrior to help. Take a quick look at the Tank, a Basicly brand spanking new Feral Druid. I can see from having a Feral Tank myself that he's severly lacking some Agil and after we had buffed up him having only 22k HP.

My Warlock friend turns and goes, "Urm, you guys wait here a second I'll brb." He jumps to his own Druid and proceeds to grab some Runescrolls for that extra litle HP. Being a LW myself I get him to grab me some mats and I make up some Kings Drums. We buff up again with this and now the tank has around the 26k Marker. He then turns around and goes, "You know, I've never done this place, not even on Normal."

We turn to each other in a private channel we use and were like, "This is gonna be fun!"

We get through to the first boss explaining everything as we go and making sure he knows what to pull as we go. When ever he drops aggro just through our DPS being out geared they never moaned, never once dropped down to the floor but pulled together as a group through general chit-chat within the group.

We only really started to face real problems when we got to the tunnel just before the last boss. Our plucky Bear lost aggro right in the middle and we wiped once. On our second try through he lost the aggro in the same place again but had already learnt from his mistake and tried to pick it back up as quick as he could. My friends died once more through this happening but they sat there and just cheered him on through the rest of the tunnel until I got caught by a falling pillar of ice knocking me back and killing me through chaining into a few of them. (Some just pure unluck on my behalf). The warrior drops into Defensive stance and taunts the lot of the druid who proceeds to battle rez me in the middle of it all. As I come back up the Warrior dies from lack of heals and the Druid drops back into bear form. I've dropped my manastream totem at this point and am trying endlessly to keep this lovely bear alive as long as I can. It took us another 4 minutes of solid bare knuckle healing and tanking on his behalf to finish the tunnel and emerge the other side.

We all let out a sigh of relief and rebuff after a few rez's. The Druid even told me to get a stiff drink why he did it after such good healing. We managed to get the last boss down with a little bit of the same team work.

At the end of it all we all said our farewells and the Druid thanked us all for our patience and understanding. It was also at this point we found out he had only hit 80 about 4-5 hours before and had been farming the heroics to get his badges for some T9. It was also his first character we were to discover as well.

My thanks goes out to the both of you for putting up with both stonking DPS and some awesome tanking where it was needed. Your DPS was always high and all 3 of you were above the 5k Marker on every fight even if you took aggro. Thanks once more for singing my praises on some outstanding healing. I'm used to just faceroll healing in Heroics. Thanks for some true tests of a healer.

Sorry its a long one, but there is so much that needed to be said.

I've had a couple of runs where the whole group just clicked together and made for a smooth run. In a H Gundrak one time, I think hellos at the beginning and "good job"s at the end were the only things said the whole run. We cleared it in about 10 minutes, with all bosses down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".

You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".

15+ Year Old Account

Getting these on my Warrior in HoR, made me feel good about myself.

Picture 1

Picture 2

I love showing these to people that run around saying " Link achievement with X.X+ GS and come to X for inspect " It proves to them GearScore and Achievements don't mean alot.

Edit: links to pictures. --Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by painweaver
    HMmm lets see, two of my recent memorable pug experiences...
    the the healer who, who also happens to be the group leader, that wipes the group three times because she doesn't cleanse permafrost on forgemaster garfrost in PoS
    Um - no - the healer's not supposed to cleanse it, and shouldn't even try - people are supposed to LoS it - how on earth did you think druids or shaman were supposed to heal the encounter?

Anyway memorable pugs, erm well one really sticks out, zoning into heroic OK for what seemed like the 10th time that day but was probably only the 3rd my heart sank. Until the one of the randoms suggests we take a 'special route' that skips all but the final boss.

Well this tickles me, and after about 5 mins jumping around scenary that is clearly not intended to be jumped on we stand at vezax volazj, down him, lol and go on about our nights.

Thank you random dps guy! Now I show all the OK groups I get that pro-route, and win endless kudos

people actually doing over 3K dps in a pug makes me smile.. because its so rare to see...

I'm on my alt rogue trying to get a few upgrades from the ICC 5 mans. Get a group for HoR. The tank is a little timid, says he's not sure he can tank this. We reassure him, give him a few pointers on tactics and positioning and get stuck in.

I think we must have spent at least an hour in there, and I had a hefty repair bill in the end, but it was a great run. For once I actually had to push myself, tricking mobs on to the tank, stunlocking mobs on the healer, cloaking, bandaging, popping my herbalism heal. Pretty much doing what DPS should do: as much damage as possible while taking as little as possible.

The atmosphere was great, no one left or moaned, we joked in party chat and made suggestions for the next try. Best PUG I've had in a while.

While CoS and VH can be a bit of a bore, they have one advantage, in that they offer opportunities to chat between the mobs, if the group is comprised of people with a good sense of having a fun time instead of just trying to race through as fast as possible.

And once such group, I had just now. We had some silly chatting going on while waiting, so that made that part OK. Then, as we proceed to go through the dungeon, the healer "complains" that the Warrior tank doesn't take any damage, thus making it rather boring for him to heal.

And the DK DPS was sad after the first boss, because he got stunned/snared/whatever twice, and when he was free to attack, it was already over. Of course, as a sneaky bastard of a rogue, I just had to ask "should I tank?" at that point.

And healer said go for it. So, no more using Tricks and waiting and shit, and instead running ahead, trying to guess which target the tank wasn't going to go for first. Only got a few to try and hit me though, and even then, healer wasn't happy, because they tended to die too soon. Plus, I just got too much dodge to get hit enough, or as I told the group, I'm the Dodgemeister.

So I told him, "blame the tank for having tanking skills", because obviously, you don't want a tank with skills now, do you? The very idea! But after the second boss, tank asks if he should just go DPS-spec and focus on hurting things. Which the healer happily agrees to, as long as people remember to not let him get aggro.

And we happily, merrily, and jokingly, get on to just let loose. Shadow-priest asks if he should take over healing with his shadow-spec, since Hit is such a nice healing-stat. "Well, you should need it in my case" I replied "since I happen to have such a high dodge, I'll soon dodge healing now."

Went on to take the rest as well, with me tanking the infinite dragon boss on the simple basis of being good at kicking ass (A rogue isn't a natural aggro-making machine, after all). At least the healer had to do -something- in that fight, but I noticed he still didn't have any problems keeping me up anyway.

So yeah, if you get a funny group, CoS can still make for a good time.

And people who think "get in, say nothing, finish, get out" is a good idea of a PUG... They lack imagination.
    Sneaky bastard who constantly wears Chef's Hat, or as I like to call it: The Hat.

"The only one knowing to not stand in a whirlwind is the one wearing a cooking hat?" <-- Question from healer when the other two melee DPS died on last Gundrak boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaliara
    I'm on my alt rogue trying to get a few upgrades from the ICC 5 mans. Get a group for HoR. The tank is a little timid, says he's not sure he can tank this. We reassure him, give him a few pointers on tactics and positioning and get stuck in.

I think we must have spent at least an hour in there, and I had a hefty repair bill in the end, but it was a great run. For once I actually had to push myself, tricking mobs on to the tank, stunlocking mobs on the healer, cloaking, bandaging, popping my herbalism heal. Pretty much doing what DPS should do: as much damage as possible while taking as little as possible.

The atmosphere was great, no one left or moaned, we joked in party chat and made suggestions for the next try. Best PUG I've had in a while.
    I love groups like this. I had a similar one, in Oculus, except nobody would take my advice. I did, however, get to solo 2/4 bosses while the group watched dead. I had fun, even though the run took over an hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by supazio
    I know everyone else is too lazy so whenever I run voa I just tricks the highest melee dps every cooldown. And I don't even have the set boner. ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Mondroc
    Hang on, you were going to make a class that you never see the race as with one of the new races, and then decide not to because you'll actually see aforementioned new race? Make does this sense not.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

I did a pug with my low level rogue and I got queued to do SM graveyard. when I got queued the first thing I saw was this warlock spamming ROGUE ROGUE ROGUE for a couple minutes in party followed by "Hey Rogue sense you can't aoe how about you sit your ass down and enjoy the free exp". So I obliged needless to say the warlock was fucking hilarious, maybe not to the others in the group but to me and this mage he was. In the six time we ran GY we went through 23 tanks because the warlock wouldn't let them tank or he would "reach through the screen and fucking cut them". It made my day. THE best pug I have ever had.
    Quote Originally Posted by tremors
    Divine Shield.. Never really stood the hole point of the "oh look at me im in a shiny bubble" I mean come on what does that shit even do?! Pointless waist of mana imo.

in rfc on my shammy she was only bout 15 at the time haha the tank is a fella who hasnt played warrior in 2 years and has a dagger weapon but flawlessly pulls each group taunts anything loose and hasnt a problem at all our healer is self awake and has enough mana for 2 heals so i have decided to heal the warrior between pulls and topping off my mana as much as i can half way through im oom so i grab a drink and the warrior stops so i say carry on i will catch and he says i can do this without u my manish heart softened a little haha had to ruin it tho by saying *cue slushy music* flawless run and caught the same tank 2-3 more times and had flawless runs there to <3

15+ Year Old Account

I get ecstatic when I insta Q on my Resto / Ehn shaman and get an easy Heroic like VH. "Switches to ENH spec". With an average group I just use a maelstrom proc to chain heal every now and then, but with a good group, healing stream is all we need I've had many occurrences where a tank or dps did more +healing then me because of judgment of light, etc.

Also, when I'm on my arcane mage I just <3 when priests give me Power Infusion for a boss and tell me they want to see 20k dps. Any feral druids that pop out to innervate make me have a cream dream.
    Jobahlie-Mage- Only of it's kind since Vanilla WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Azyoulike

Well this tickles me, and after about 5 mins jumping around scenary that is clearly not intended to be jumped on we stand at vezax volazj, down him, lol and go on about our nights.

Thank you random dps guy! Now I show all the OK groups I get that pro-route, and win endless kudos
    how do ya do that route? id be pumped to find out

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Doctavice
    how do ya do that route? id be pumped to find out
    Given that it's likely a bannable offense if they catch you, it's probably not the best idea, and it probably shouldn't be posted here. If you really want to know, go ahead and ask via PMs.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by painweaver
    is it possible to /facepalm a /facepalm?
    There're already threads for bad PuG experiences. Obvious sarcasm is obvious, yes. But really.

15+ Year Old Account

Me and 4 mates wanted frost badges one day, but we are so extremely tired of the easy quick heroics, so we went in for a challange. We bought the most terrible gear we could find on ah (lvl 1-10) greens, and joined up for random hc (we needed random tank). At first we tried to act all stupid by trying to pull a pack casting blizzard and hurricane all around the pack of mobs, screaming wtf when we didnt hit. So we had 3-4 tanks leaving before they even pulled a pack.

Some mins later my buddy equipped his fury gear and tanked with that, 4 maning with 3 green geared ppl and 1 good geared fury tank (lol), and ridiculous enough i kept him up with 0 spellpower gear on at all. It was the funniest hol ive done in ages. And it made my day, especially the part every tank left because we had max 1000 gearscore.

Doing a random dungeon on my 19ish druid,

Thank you little ret pally who signed up as a tank with a two handed weapon, and when the healer asked you if you had a shield you said that you had just sold it. You made me laugh. You were just so happy to be there I coulnd't help it, you didnt mind when I started tanking and (in stocks) you kept asking what everyone did to be here

Thank you healer in that same run who healed me perfectly when I switched to bear form and kept the group alive.

Thank you healer in another random low lvl run, you could barely keep me up in your white gear, who kept telling me to pull more mobs, your (misplaced) enthusiasm was touching.

On my Warrior -

Thank you to the shammy in H-UP, you tore into the mage who pulled for me before I even had a chance to, made fun of him for dying when I refused to pull of him all before I even had a chance to say anything. For this I thank you.

And most of all, thank you to all the ret pallys & dks who kept RF/FP on the entire instance and didn't pull threat off me, you make me feel good about my warriors AoE tanking.

I thank all Ahn'kahet - Old Kingdom group who does it in ten minutes.
    EAZY FROZT!
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-discussions-22/world-of-warcraft-lore-by-richard-knaak-(spoilers)/