Page 6 of 78 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

Re: Your worst experiences with the Dungeon Tool

I really don't know if this is the "worst" experience that I have ever had, but this one sticks out in my mind. So my priest had hit 80 a couple days before, and I was still in the "grinding heriocs" phase of gearing, and I had most of my badge gear by this point. Anyways, I got queued up for gundrak, and I was of course the healer, and I got a warrior tank, a dk dps, and a couple other dps, don't recall what they are. The poor warrior tank just dinged 80 and this was her first heroic, and she wasn't a "terrible" tank but she was by no means good, had trouble with AoE threat, picking things up, etc. Nothing that would really cause a wipe. Anywho, about halfway through the death knight starts calling her a horrible tank, and insists that he will tank it, even though the warrior doesn't have a dps spec, and the death knight puts on his tanking gear and starts to pull, well he sucked as well, but he was a bit better then the warrior, but we lost a dps, so it started to slow down, but whatever, we will get through it, I really don't care, badges are badges. Now, before I continue, I do not play with deadly bossmods I have really found no use for this addon, and this will be important in a second. So we get to eck, and we pull him, sitting there healing, and of course its taking a while, then when eck is at about 40% health the death knight, who had dbm enabled and on announce, had his dbm go off and say 30 seconds til enrage. Well. I learned that day that Eck had an enrage, and we wiped due to it. It wasn't the "worst" experience but it was very very hilariously horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Auton
    To Fornaw and drulz, if you weren't there at the first wave of 80s, please understand that it was a different situation. We didn't NEED 40k tanks to do hUK or hNexus. We had 19k tanks that were freshly 80 and not crit immune. We had 1500-2500 dps (if we were lucky). We had sub 2k sp healers. We had to CC. We had to work for our heroics.

My DING! Level 80! achievement was earned 11/18/2008. Completed my first heroic two days later (damn work schedule).

If you can't come up with some similar timeframe, please consider that maybe those of us that were there know what we are talking about.
    Dinged on 11/28/2008, completed HVH the same day, UP the next, Gundrak 2 days later.

I'm not pretending that tanks all had 25k and were uncrittable, but most tanks were ~def capped. Given 3.0 there were quite a few tanks running around in T6 and equivalents, there were even more tanks running around with craftable tanking gear. Tempered saronite is pretty cheap and easy to make, it had tons of +def and pretty large amounts of stam compared to earlier tanking gear. It was also pretty common to use stam scrolls on tanks if there was no priest.

The way I remember the first heroics is quite a few PuGs would fall apart on the gauntlet of HUP, or on Sladron of HGun. In the first case you could very easily OOM your healer, CC or no CC, no matter what your tank looked like. As far as Sladron goes some people had the most idiotic ideas for how to avoid the snakes (some of them actually did work for a while). In reality it was more common to wipe in any heroic (maybe not VH), we just didn't leave group after the first one. In the first few months of Wrath tanks were even more high and mighty. The easiest places to find groups for had the best tanking drops (AN, HVH, HCoS, HUP). The tank-dps ratio was quite a bit worse than it is now, tanks could go anywhere they wanted, finding a tank for other instances was pretty rough. Even my guild tanks only ran so many heroics a day.

To Ganoes, quite a few mob abilities hit for more than 4k on tanking gear NOW. Then again you frequently post terrible information on these boards. When you were wearing blues/greens or when you got feared and hit in the back taking a crit could easily do over 12k damage, all it takes is 2 mobs to kill you then. One 12k crit and one 6k hit=dead tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I pity people who have gotten so insensate to disrespect and abuse from repetition that they have elevated being jaded to a virtue.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka
    If the healer can outdps a dps, the dps fails. Almost always.
    Not even close to true. My shaman isn't even all that well geared but I have done more dps/damage than some dps. Granted the ones I out dps usually are bad, but with an earth shield on a 55k hp tank (and often having a feral druid, shadow priest, or pally judging light for more passive healing) I've had runs where I almost didn't cast a single heal. Magma totem with my fire nova spell and chain lightning do some pretty good damage. I've done 2.5k on boss fights and had runs where I was over 1500 dps for the whole run. Hell even just holy nova spamming on my priest will sometimes put me up near 1k dps for a run without even trying. And again, I'm sure there is a ton of healers out there with better gear that could do even more dps.

OT: Just about every time I get H PoS it turns into a 1 hour or more run. Those are usually just the most terrible runs and each time seems to get worse and worse.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Fornaw
    I'm not pretending that tanks all had 25k and were uncrittable, but most tanks were ~def capped. Given 3.0 there were quite a few tanks running around in T6 and equivalents, there were even more tanks running around with craftable tanking gear. Hardened saronite is pretty cheap and easy to make, it had tons of +def and pretty large amounts of stam compared to earlier tanking gear. It was also pretty common to use stam scrolls on tanks if there was no priest.
    I don't think tanks were necessarily uncrittable (although they had some defense, sure). I remember being the best MT we had for naxx because both other tanks couldn't get enough def right away -- for our first two naxx10 runs (before some of the guild hit 80, so we couldn't field enough for a 25-man run), I was the only uncrittable tank.

Both of the other tanks had full T6 gear, so they weren't lacking in gear in general; it just took them a little while to get completely up to cap. But was it an issue in the raid? No, except the occasional wipe on things like Patchwerk that were meant to be difficult to an undergeared tank. Crittability isn't quite as bad as it sounds, except in tank gear checks.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Jonisawsom
    Not even close to true. My shaman isn't even all that well geared but I have done more dps/damage than some dps. Granted the ones I out dps usually are bad, but with an earth shield on a 55k hp tank (and often having a feral druid, shadow priest, or pally judging light for more passive healing) I've had runs where I almost didn't cast a single heal. Magma totem with my fire nova spell and chain lightning do some pretty good damage. I've done 2.5k on boss fights and had runs where I was over 1500 dps for the whole run. Hell even just holy nova spamming on my priest will sometimes put me up near 1k dps for a run without even trying. And again, I'm sure there is a ton of healers out there with better gear that could do even more dps.

OT: Just about every time I get H PoS it turns into a 1 hour or more run. Those are usually just the most terrible runs and each time seems to get worse and worse.
    So you're saying DPS don't fail if a healer beats them, so it's fine if a DPS is below 1k DPS in your instances? Getting beat by the tank is one thing, but getting beat by a healer just means you're awful.

On Topic: Not exactly the worst, but I just did a CoS as my daily heroic, and the Mage went afk in Dalaran and didn't even have the decency to leave the group. Can't kick him for 15 minutes, and even then because of the way Strat is with the constant fighting, you always get 'Unable to kick players during or shortly after combat'. Not that it was too hard with 4 or anything, but still.

Not sure if you realize it or not, but you had no need to buff him with might. He should have been using his shout which I believe would have been better than your (I assume) untalented might, which was the reason you were getting the stronger buff error.
    Yeah, I kinda suspected that, but even if I had been aware of the fact I wouldn't have had the time to communicate it. Of course, HE was totally unaware of the issue and wasted his time on annoying and outright dangerous (running out of fire vs. typing) in-combat chat. Furthermore, the (in-combat, pre-wipe) /ignore made any attempt to sort out the situation impossible (he was also the very first to leave after the wipe). That was so far the only idiot I've played with through the Dungeon Tool who wouldn't even listen to what others had to say...

Had two bad experiances in the last two days.
    Yesterday:
    Join on my prot warrior with one of my guildies alt's, both are well geared.
    We get CoS, One of the dps leaves straight away, The healer (DoktorVammel - runetotem EU) decides to leave the instance without leaving the group and refuses to come back stating 'I hate this instance' and then doesn't complete the role check, hindering us from getting another dps or healer and completely stopping us doing anything for the 15 min's the timer took to kick him.

Today:
    Do a random hc on my well geared priest alt and get a bunch of retards. We get OK, the tanks fairly geared the three other DPS are barely hitting 1.5k bar the Fury warrior putting out 3k.
    we try to do 'Respect your elders' the warriors goes tank to take the adds and I manage to get healing aggro on the mini adds and die.
    we end up getting past the 2nd boss and have to deal with the patrol, one of the DPS runs straight into them whilst we all watch in amazement, I manage to keep him and the rest of the party up - Hitting about 5kHPS and die again...
    I release and start to run to see 'you have been removed from the group'
    I pitied any other healer that had to join them ;(

Quote Originally Posted by Kiru
    So you're saying DPS don't fail if a healer beats them, so it's fine if a DPS is below 1k DPS in your instances? Getting beat by the tank is one thing, but getting beat by a healer just means you're awful.
    Please learn to read. I said my healer is not even the best geared and I can have full runs where I do >1500 dps overall and even more on boss fights. I'm sure there are other healers that are better geared and can do even more. So when I get a dps that's at 1500 and doing less than me, I don't see it as fail, depending on the circumstances. A fresh 80 may also not have the best instance/raid spec or know what the best rotation is yet. Not everyone reads EJ/MMOchamp etc to find out how to get 1700 dps as a fresh 80 instead of 1600.

OT: Just thought of one particularly horrible run. H ToC group where the tank and I seemed to be the only ones with an idea of what to do. One dps dies and doesn't run back in during jousting. Another dps never used anything but shield breaker. The other dps was well below what I'd consider average. I was doing ~45% of the damage on jousting, and it took us over 10 minutes to get them down with everyone in the group besides myself dying multiple times (two dps didn't run back in for a few minutes). After the tank died 3 times he dropped group, and one of the mobs bugged out just as I was killed another one.

Sooooo the event bugged and never moved onto the normal part of the fight. We zoned out and picked up a new tank, but we had to do the jousting all over again, which again was much of the same. A ~10 minute fight with multiple deaths and a warlock doing something like 1% of the jousting damage. We down them all again and this time it's fine. As we are buffing and swapping weapons, he tank runs off and pulls while I still have my lance on and haven't changed my totem setup (change some depending on if we have DKs etc). The group is taking tons of damage and I have to spam heals just to keep them up. I finally get a free GCD or two so I can get in my weapon and totems etc. Well with me barely having a spare GCD, I can't purge/interrupt (I know wind shear is off the GCD but I can't cast it while in the middle of another cast) and the other 4 can't seem to do enough dps to bring them down.

As the fight goes on, I use my mana tide totem and a mana pot and still finish the fight almost oom. The second boss was the easy guy and the BK was not as bad as I expected considering how the first 30 minutes of the run had gone. Definitely one of the worst runs I've ever been in.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine
    I don't think tanks were necessarily uncrittable (although they had some defense, sure). I remember being the best MT we had for naxx because both other tanks couldn't get enough def right away -- for our first two naxx10 runs (before some of the guild hit 80, so we couldn't field enough for a 25-man run), I was the only uncrittable tank.

Both of the other tanks had full T6 gear, so they weren't lacking in gear in general; it just took them a little while to get completely up to cap. But was it an issue in the raid? No, except the occasional wipe on things like Patchwerk that were meant to be difficult to an undergeared tank. Crittability isn't quite as bad as it sounds, except in tank gear checks.
    The big reason we require tanks to be uncrittable is because it gives them a certain amount of avoidance as well. TBH though I think a lot of tanks on my server were using the ilvl 200 pvp trinket to get uncrittable. Honor wise it was pretty cheap, WG was quite popular at the time so you could farm one up in a day before you hit 80 even (PvP server, your results may vary). Further it gives you 1% less chance to be crit, and there really isn't much better choice for tanking trinkets before you step into heroics/naxx (unless you were a JC, monarch crab could be gemmed for defense though).

I managed to make a 20k unbuffed warrior who was uncrittable with 19% dodge 15% parry and 517 defense on wowhead profiler.

An abreviated gearlist is
    lvl 70
    5 piece T5
    lvl 80
    Heroism Badge shield, Armor Plated combat shotgun, Titanium Earthguard ring, Medallion of the Horde
    quest pieces
    Betrayer's choker, Solid Platinum Band, Bloodbane's resolve, Crescent of brooding fury
    Crafted
    Tempered Saronite Belt, Bracers, Boots

Socket a 21 def meta, a bunch of solid chalcedony and thick sun crystal, lvl 70 leg/shoulder enchants, and a bunch of Heavy Borean Armor kits.

I personally think this is a pretty reasonable setup for what you might expect a tank to look like early on in Wrath, I gave him one badge piece, 2 craftable epics (shotgun is BiS, a warrior would get it anyway, Titanium ring would be pretty hard to replace as well), a few crafter blue pieces and I had him regem for northrend's lowest quality gems.

My problem with the original post is that he claimed he was nowhere near def cap, which would basically imply he wasn't even wearing decent lvl 70 gear (a level 70 tanking set would take you half way there, without regemming), and that he tanked every heroic with no problem. There are mobs in the latter parts of HHoL, HUP, HOc which hit quite hard, and I would expect any tank with 19k unbuffed who had a significant chance to be crit to die on at least one of those packs, CC or no CC, no matter who your healer is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I pity people who have gotten so insensate to disrespect and abuse from repetition that they have elevated being jaded to a virtue.

This didn't happen to me, but it did happen to a good guildie of mine. Now, my guild after we're done with ICC for the night/week, we'll do a regular ToC 25 with trinkets reserved for main raiders, but everything else is fair game and alts are welcome, then we pug whatever else is left. Well my guildie's main toon is a holy pally but he recently (and I mean RECENTLY) dinged 80 on his DK. He was still wearing the heirloom shoulders. He brings his DK to our little alt run and the only piece of gear he gets is Justicebringer. So imagine some of the looks on people's faces when he's wearing greens and blues and heirlooms, and a JUSTICEBRINGER.

So he's in a random heroic one day, gets into Nexus. The whole time he's in there, he hasn't said a word, and his pulling more than enough of his own weight in dps. But everyone in the group keeps /spitting on him and telling to get carried more and just bashing him for absolutely no reason. So he kinda incites a little more by linking his weapon again like 3 times over (not sure if it's relevant, but he had it runechanted properly). He finally gets to the last boss and they kick him before they do it. This guildie of mine is a stoner and he's 99% of the time pretty calm and nothing really gets to him, but I've never seen him so upset over something like that before.

Player skill doesn't bother me so much in Dungeon Tool. It's the douchebags/asshats/mentally-unstable that really get to me.

I was running Heroic Utgarde Pinnacle on my rogue, thinking it was going to be a pretty normal run for my Emblems. Before I could even zone in, the Paladin tank was alright pulling mobs all over the place. Now, I have nothing wrong with this, I love fast runs, but this guy was just taking it to the extreme, constantly typing "HURRY HURRY HURRY". Weirded out by this guy's pulling, I typed "What's the rush?"

I figured he was just going to be like "I'm late for work" or "I have to be somewhere". Instead, he begins to rant about how he's "GETTIN SUM FRUM HIS GF IN LIEK 2 MIN". Why did I start him up? The whole time he just rambled about how he was going to "beat her pussy up" and other things.

I guess he had an urgent appointment for masturbation. :

AIM/Yahoo: JennixCorexo

Level 43 Shaman tank in Maraudon (Pristine Waters). I was the only one there who spoke English. The rest were from Latin America server.

So much fail.

Quote Originally Posted by .abysma
    Player skill doesn't bother me so much in Dungeon Tool. It's the douchebags/asshats/mentally-unstable that really get to me.
    Amen on that bro!

I got 2 major problems:
    I leveled my alt mage to 80, in heroics, i do about 2000 dps now.. which is pretty ok for some1 in blue gear.. Now, i find it often that when we start the heroic run, the healer or tank inspect the 3 dpsers, and if they dont meet a certain GearScore or whatever, the tank or healer leaves... Complete bullsh¡t imho.. yes we cant all do 5k dps, but still.. an heroic run takes only 17 minutes anyway...

Second problem:

People who just want to finish the heroic fast, and therefore SKIPPING bosses.... That pisses me off, since i come there for the triumphs.. As tank i could say, "we do all or i leave", but since im a DPS-er now, they will probably say.. "m'kay.. byebye". Can='t stant that people dont take others into consideration and just fly straight to main boss! GRR
    thread: Smoke Grenade? I mean srsly?
    I'd also like a flashbang and then it would be just like Counter Strike.

entered the instance, all 4 people left, left the instance.

this does happen sometimes in oculus, but this was AN!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

My gf is a pally healer. I a fury warrior. Its typical for us to que up for the frosty's together. We normally get a full guild run. Sometimes we dont.

This is one of those times. Its not to say how horrible dps, tanks, heals were. Its not to shine on fabricated numbers on the charts. Just a story I'd like to share. Que'd up and landed in Nexus. Got myself and my gf pally healer, a nicely geared rogue dps, and a nicely geared spriest. The tank admitted to being 2 days 80 and his gear and health pool reflected that. Spriest called him several names and proceeded to act like a jackass. After about 2 or 3 minutes of explaining to the undergeared pally about how its fail to waste ppls time and for a pivotal part of a run to not get carried, then she thankfully left the group. Not a single pull yet, mind you.

I was lead so que up again. Got a boomkin. As soon as she got in she asked the tank "are you serious?". Lol'd at the set up but left it at that. The run finally starts. We make our way along the path and the one multiple mob pull was messy and all over the place. Tank was going around picking up what he could as the boomkin started hurricanes well ahead of the tank. Rogue had picked one, seemingly at random and credit to his class, stun lock and burned. Single target pull, the one that we had, tank had no issues getting and holding threat.

Make it to Commander Kolurg. The big orc frozen in the blocks of ice for those still reading. Tank hasn't set foot into the room yet, and boomy starts blasting. First set is only two mobs so wasn't much of an issue for the pally to get under control. Even tho the boomy started blasting before he even set foot in the room. before we get those two down the boomy pulls another set of 3 and they beeline to her, she typhoons, and one of the priest in the pack pops fear. I beserker rage out of it, the pally and rogue head for the boss. Pally breaks his and rushed back to get the mobs off the boomkin, who at this time is typing in all caps how fail we all are. Rogue comes back with the Commander and cronies in tow. A mob pull turned into a boss plus 5. Boomkins blasting anything she can, cleaves and ww's coupled with the rogues stuns and burst made for an easy clean-up. I end up fury tanking a few. The gf pally is use to this =P so I stay alive with very little to no issue. Boomkin stays topped off, despite talking down to the lot of us. And the pally tank, held the Commander and his 2 cronies until the rogue and I came to peel the healers off of him. Sloppy, but we downed the boss plus that half of the room.

Boomkin opens up a stream of profainitys and fails and needs on the item that dropped after we all chose to de it. A moot point but a douche move especially since dropping group right after. Rogue didn't say anything and he left group a moment after.

Paladin tank says "ty for the runs guys, sorry i was apparen'ty fail" Told him not to sweat it and pull the next group. He lol's but does so. The undergeared pally tank, the moderate geared dps warrior, and the nicely geared holy pally, proceed to 3 man Nexus. Because we could. Tad slow. But quiet. More enjoyable for us overall. Asked why i don't que up for pugs, my response was "want to deal with that again?". Another lol and we moved on. We got our badges. They got their deserter buff. And the tank was more than capable at holding mobs, given the chance to do so.

And as far as the votekick thing goes, the ppl are nice or quiet, not linking gs or meters, staying alive and not pulling mobs before the tank, they tend to last. I don't care if I have to pull the dps for somebody. Nobody in this game outside of ptr, ebay, or arena servers ever started out in epics. Really wish ppl would remember that. And the jackholes that get to the last boss and votekick the undergeared before the pull, karma. Herpes or something are in your future. Seriously, its a game. Treat it as such.

I was on my DK tank (frost) aaand...on all the boss fights I was top DPS with 1500 DPS

brb [posessive noun] [noun] [verb] [preposition] [article] [noun]

Quote Originally Posted by Phogue
    Seriously, HAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHA
    ? Enh shamans have no AOE. They single target. If you have a warrior tank, he will be spreading his threat around a group to make up for AOE dps. If you have an enh shaman he will be single targetting and pulling massive threat.

There's no synergy. And besides that, a resto shaman will have 1000% faster queues at least. On my realm, healer queues are instant to 30 seconds. DPS queues are 15+ minutes. And it's certainly not difficult to heal a heroic.

It's much, much better to get AOE dps in your group than it is to get shaman dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Fornaw

To Ganoes, quite a few mob abilities hit for more than 4k on tanking gear NOW. Then again you frequently post terrible information on these boards. When you were wearing blues/greens or when you got feared and hit in the back taking a crit could easily do over 12k damage, all it takes is 2 mobs to kill you then. One 12k crit and one 6k hit=dead tank.
    Warrior tanks don't get feared like that, they have a fear immunity / break on a very short cooldown. And I do not ever post terrible information.

And a 12k hit and 6k crit wouldn't kill a tank with 20k+ buffed hit points.

Quote Originally Posted by Solidrock
    Had two bad experiances in the last two days.
    Yesterday:
    Join on my prot warrior with one of my guildies alt's, both are well geared.
    We get CoS, One of the dps leaves straight away, The healer (DoktorVammel - runetotem EU) decides to leave the instance without leaving the group and refuses to come back stating 'I hate this instance' and then doesn't complete the role check, hindering us from getting another dps or healer and completely stopping us doing anything for the 15 min's the timer took to kick him.

Today:
    Do a random hc on my well geared priest alt and get a bunch of retards. We get OK, the tanks fairly geared the three other DPS are barely hitting 1.5k bar the Fury warrior putting out 3k.
    we try to do 'Respect your elders' the warriors goes tank to take the adds and I manage to get healing aggro on the mini adds and die.
    we end up getting past the 2nd boss and have to deal with the patrol, one of the DPS runs straight into them whilst we all watch in amazement, I manage to keep him and the rest of the party up - Hitting about 5kHPS and die again...
    I release and start to run to see 'you have been removed from the group'
    I pitied any other healer that had to join them ;(
    If you are doing Respect the Elders, the guardian tank cannot tank the little adds. They are immune to everything since they are in close proximity to the guardians. Hence, you, the healer, should have been standing in some melee AOE to take them off of you. If you were standing away from the group, then that was entirely your fault.

15+ Year Old Account

Hell even just holy nova spamming on my priest will sometimes put me up near 1k dps for a run without even trying.
    Well you just proved that I am right. You can do 1K+ without trying, as a healer. Specced and geared for healing. Then why the hell some DPS can't do 1K when they are specced for that and should be trying...