Useful Addon Idea

Hello everyone!

If you make addons, this is a project for you.

Sometimes, in a raid, people say: "Run to the Cross or the Star!" (Or any other symbol) so instead of just losing time turning, I had this idea:

Remember First Person Shooters like Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2? When someone shoots you, a little red thing in your interface, is pointing on where the shot came from.

Well, thats my idea with the Symbols. To make it look on your screen, to see where it is, so you turn right away, not losing dps. So if it the skull is behind you, a skull with an arrow on it, would be pointing down, in your interface. Like in the Interface in CoD, if you get what I mean.

If you think this is do-able in WoW, and if you are an addon maker, then this project is for you!

If there is an addon like this already, please link it!

Comments on the Idea please! ;D

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: Useful Addon Idea

Not sure it's possible - Addons have no method of being aware of where objects are in the 3d view, and also have no idea who has which marks. Because you're suggesting something that requires information from the 3d world, I doubt it's possible.

Something if you can't see the marked star on your screen, there's like an arrow (pref coloured) on the edge of your screen or around your person to locate it without camera spinning?
    Does seem pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Taryble
    Not sure it's possible - Addons have no method of being aware of where objects are in the 3d view, and also have no idea who has which marks. Because you're suggesting something that requires information from the 3d world, I doubt it's possible.
    Where there's a will, there's a work around. Keep track of who gets which mark, and use coordinates to track there relation to you in a 2d plane. You can ignore height differences. Every one in the raid would have to run the addon. With that said, I'm not going to waste my time making it.
    But your eyes are drawn of charcoal they're black they're so cold they're so imperfect because they see a sleeping world where waking isn't worth it

itss a decent idea but the prob is is that you then have to mess with dbm/bigwigs for when the mark someone. And then you have to input the code for say when event A happens go the person B. It may take a bit of work but who knows

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Bojangles
    Where there's a will, there's a work around. Keep track of who gets which mark, and use coordinates to track there relation to you in a 2d plane. You can ignore height differences. Every one in the raid would have to run the addon. With that said, I'm not going to waste my time making it.
    Trust me, my guild would get it.
    I think its a good Project where someone with the skill should look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetNoata
    itss a decent idea but the prob is is that you then have to mess with dbm/bigwigs for when the mark someone. And then you have to input the code for say when event A happens go the person B. It may take a bit of work but who knows
    It doesn't have to mess with DBM or Bigwigs, just show where the mark is, doesnt need to have the person's name on it. In my opinion, its a Stand Alone type of Addon.

DXE already has something like that n the code with arrows you might be able to replicate something off that code

Quote Originally Posted by srebv
    DXE already has something like that n the code with arrows you might be able to replicate something off that code
    I wasn't aware of that. Do you know the Line of Code? If you do, post it here.

Bump

I'm working on a function which will return a number in radians that represents the angle that the person given is from the player. (taking into account the facing on the player)

I will post it when I'm done

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account

Actually, it is possible, but only if every person is using the same addon, and the "run to <symbol>" is always the same symbol. The addon can look at "player" info to determine if you have a mark. If you have a mark, it continually broadcasts your map location (probably with an accuracy in the hundredths - I'm not sure how "big" some of the raid zones end up beind). At that point, the addon on others comps listens to the "here I am" broadcast by the addon on your system, and points a TomTom-style Crazy Taxi arrow at those coords.

I completely forgot that coordinate systems work in raids/instances now, because Blizzard gave us "world map" maps of them - this trick requires a World Map with which an addon can get coordinates. In BC or Vanilla raids/instances, you're still SOL, but it'll work in Wrath raids/instances.

Hell, most of the work for this addon could be done by yoinking code from LibGuildPositions and TomTom - all you'd have to do is write the code that identifies who has the "Follow Me!" symbol... and then require all your raiders to install the addon.

Quote Originally Posted by Brusalk
    I'm working on a function which will return a number in radians that represents the angle that the person given is from the player. (taking into account the facing on the player)

Ok mate we'll be waiting.

Taryble, its a shame that I dont know how to make addons. :P

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account

Makes me wish I'd taken the time to learn lua coding. :P Admittedly, I haven't done any serious programming in a dozen years, in any language.

Quote Originally Posted by Taryble
    Makes me wish I'd taken the time to learn lua coding. :P Admittedly, I haven't done any serious programming in a dozen years, in any language.
    And I haven't in like.... 2 years

Quote Originally Posted by Brusalk

Any news?

I'm still debugging the math behind it.

I've been busy but should have some more time to work on it. My hope is that once I'm done with the function, someone who has the time can put-it together into an addon

Please do not bump threads this fast. This is your warning.

You could always try this addon I made.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/oeahmq

It shows an arrow pointing towards the mark of your choice. It also has some other options. Note however that at some places the map does not work and hence coordinates are not available either(Like when LK destroys the edges of his room).
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhosas
    Why do ppl thing that dodge isnt good in ICC? i mean if u have alot 25 bananas and 25 oranges and someone steals u 20 bananas, what will u do, buy back some bananas or buy more oranges?