Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

An Idea to replace gearscore

Many people have a dislike for gearscore, because of many inacuracies it has.
    There are many instances where items will drop that are not upgrades, but are higher iLevel, so you get them to increase your gearscore (not me personally, but I've heard stories)
    Gearscore also doesn't track enchants or gems.

THEREFOR I propose a different type of addon.
    The way this would work is for each spec of each class (or sometimes just for each class) To have a list for each slot of what is best in slot, second best, 3rd best and so on... This would require some theorycrafting, but people do it anyways...
    Based on how far down the list your gear is, the lower your score.
    additionally, it will look at gems and enchants and rate them accordingly (probably similar to how WoW-heroes does it) to see that they are the best enchants available. gemming would be a bit tougher, but still possible to make sure people are at least gemming in the right direction.
    This would always have to be updated each time new loot is available, and to compensate for the minor delay with updating the addon with when gear comes out, so what it would have to be is that every item that is unknown and higher iLevel be rated better.

ok, example time, because I bet I didn't explain it well.
    so, let's look at just the head slot item. So, this guys has the best in slot head-slot item for their class for that slot there would be a number value of 0. moving on to shoulders, the shoulders are the 3rd best items that can be had for shoulder items, therefor they get the number value of -3. now this goes on for the entire character and all items.
    Then we move onto enchants. so the head slot again, if they have the "correct" meta-gem, they get a +1, and then if they match the socket, or have a gem with stats majorly beneficial to their class, annother +1 for each (maybe not for slot bonuses). and a +1 for having it enchanted with best currently available head enchant (not the PvP one or whatnot) and that enchant would give a +1 to the score.
    So, in the end, a "perfectly" geared character, with the best possible enchants, gem choices, and gear available, would have a score of +12 (if I counted right, and all items have socket.

So, I would like to hear people's opinions on this proposed addon. also, if you are capable of making such an addon (even if only for one class to check out to start with) please do it, because I don't have any skill making addons...

now, PLEASE weigh in on what you think about this idea for an addon? better than gearscore? worse? no different? I want some feedback

Re: An Idea to replace gearscore

Tanks would fit where? there is no predetermined "BiS" for tanking, it depends on the encounter.

You mean an addon......exactly like elitist group, at least with some of it benfits and just more flaws? ^^

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Lunataria
    THEREFOR I propose a different type of addon.
    why the hell would we even need a replacement? why not just get rid of it and get on with our lives?
    If you can't make fun of something, its probably not worth taking seriously.

ingame mix of Be.imba.hu & wow-heroes.com?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Except Blizz can change things quickly and theorycrafters change what's BIS quickly to follow suit.

I'd have to say I still want a training facility. A REAL pre-raiding requisite where you have to learn how to stay out of the fire, perform good dps and not wipe the raid. WTB a "Skill"score addon :P

Quote Originally Posted by Ghrim
    You mean an addon......exactly like elitist group, at least with some of it benfits and just more flaws? ^^

Deleted

I have a suggestion. Ask questions. Very simple, doesn't take longer than to go and inspect someone who's sitting in Dalaran, and will lead you to much more information than a number.

Or find a guild.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Asur
    Tanks would fit where? there is no predetermined "BiS" for tanking, it depends on the encounter.
    this is a good point...
    I think for tanks, it would rank based on types of avoidance. and if applicable resists...
    I'm not too keen on tanks so, this is a good point you raise.

Deleted

OR you could actually inspect. It's not that hard to remember what classes should gem/enchant/gear for this and that.

Deleted

gs = Gayscore. True story.

enyone having gearscore installed deserves to get beheaded

What gear is best in slot, and what is available either through progression or just sheer bad luck through rng is very different.
    You can rate how well the gear is itemised yes, but even that is down to opinion and because something may not be a great choice for some, it might still have been an upgrade. Your idea will give people a poor score just because they missed out on a drop that someone else got or because they are not as progressed. It does not make them a bad player.

There was an addon which gave a relative score based on ilvl of your gear for your level, one called Inventory on Par with a negative score indicating below average gear, but just like gearscore that is easily abused and was the very reason I left a guild after my at the time negative score during wotlk levelling was broadcast in guild chat.

We do not need another rating addon, what we need is players to use their brains and actually inspect again to make judgements, and god forbid talk to someone.
    Using addons repeatedly to rate people is making things worse, and no replacement for gearscore will resolve the problem, only a complete removal of the entire mechanism full stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

You'd have to rank each item and we're talking 10,000+ items in WOTLK alone. That's alot of work!

Even if the BiS list of the addon would be terribly outdated it still would be far better than what gearscore does now.

This system isn't very well thought out. Look at it this way.

Many pieces of gear have statS such as exp/hit, which may be BiS pieces given proper itemization of other gear slots. However if someone has way too much hit or expertise, thier gear could be ranked "bis" by your system and they'll still do shit dps because they have 500 hit rating and 37 expertise.

So no, it's a bad system. The best way to screen for raiders is to inspect their gearset or armory check, then ask them a couple fight mechanics, or their dps rotation. This really doesn't take much time for a pug 10m, and if u have a couple people helping you it's doable for 25m also.

And locked. BiS lists are dynamic even for the most static of classes, nevermind healers and tanks.