Over hit cap for Enhance

Enhance was my MS until Ulduar came out, and the guild was lacking in heals. I switched MS to Resto and just kinda let my Enhance set rot in the bank, while still picking up OS gear to add to the rotting set. Yesterday I decided to spend some time working on that set, and noticed something. I was WAY over the spell hit cap, sitting at 550 hit (while still Exp capped). Off to the training dummy I went, and was overly surprised at how often Maelstrom procced. After that, I went and changed out all my hit gems to AP/Haste gems, lost 70 hit, and went back to the training dummy. This time, MW only procced about half as much as it did the first time, and my DPS dropped by about 200 or so (did ~2M damage on each try, to check sustained damage). I guess my question would be, is it viable to be so far over the hit cap? My gear isn't the best, but self-buffed with no food or elixirs, I pulled 4k on the dummy round 1 and 3.8k for round 2. Really just curious if I should go back to the 550 hit, or maybe another suggestion? I'm open to criticism, as long as it's constructive and not flaming me for being ~insert random nerd insult~

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n=Ars%C3%A9nal

Also, I'm using SAA to maximize my rotation, as Enhance seems to be a bit more complicated than the last time I played.

Re: Over hit cap for Enhance

Using a training dummy to try and figure out your dps as enhancement is a bad idea.

Especially over 1 trial. For one, we are proc dependent. As you stated, you got lucky in your first trial, and unlucky in the second one. That will have much more impact on your dps than any amount of regemming. Second, raid buffs skew our dps so much, that depending on how you gemmed, your dps scales differently depending on what you are wearing.

For example, say I have gemmed all haste, and my friend has gemmed all AP. On the dummy I do 7000 dps and on the dummy he does 5500 dps. In raid, we could potentially do the EXACT SAME dps, its just how things work for us unfortunately (actually, many classes do work like this).

In your current gear I wouldn't recommend going too much over the spell hit cap (342 if you have a spriest, ~420 without one for draenei).

edit: also, get rid of that totem asap and grab the i245 or i264 badge one. That one you are wearing is terrible.

In short, hit is good past the cap. I don't know that you should be gemming for hit, but your gear is all over the place in terms of progression, so it is quite possible that it is best to do so. You should spend some time with EnhSim or Rawr either way though.

Quote Originally Posted by LyskaWF
    In short, hit is good past the cap. I don't know that you should be gemming for hit, but your gear is all over the place in terms of progression, so it is quite possible that it is best to do so. You should spend some time with EnhSim or Rawr either way though.
    best advice you can get right there. Figure out the balance for your stats and then play with it. your expertise is good, your hit is well beyond fine, your crit is not bad, so probably you will find your biggest stat at this point will be AP, followed by agi, crit, hit, haste ect ect ect

Best thing you can do though is run simulations. The problem with training dummies is you get very small samples and random is random(and for enhance, random is random squared), simulate out 10000 hours of combat to get a more accurate picture, and then don't go in game and expect results to always be the same.

Hit is never going to be "bad" for a dualwielding class until you reach the hard cap, or 28% hit. This will usually not be the case in current gear, unless you gemmed for it or happen to have hit on every piece of gear.

The general idea for hit is:

-be happy with whatever hit rating you get from your gear, don't ditch an item simply because it pushes you over spell hit cap. As I said before, hit rating before hard cap IS a significant DPS gain, even when you are past the spell hit cap.

-gem hit if you lack some to reach 341 (draenei) or 368 (horde) hit rating, this is assuming you have a SP or Boomkin in your raids.

-as for hit rating past the spell hit cap mentioned just above, it comes down to playing around with Rawr and Enhsim as people said earlier, and figuring out what stat is best for you.
    You will generally find that Haste or AP gems will provide a larger DPS gain than hit gems. Only once if you reach higher gear levels and start bumping into the crit cap will gemming hit become a larger dps gain again.

So as always, the general rule of thumb is going to be to Sim it, and figure out what gems fit the best for you. I would expect AP or haste to be the way to go at your current gear level, but probably not hit.
    I'm a Rock; Scissors are fine, but damn, Paper needs a nerf!