Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Fire Nova - Scaling

Hi,

I have pretty much given up dps'ing on trash, as i just can't do anything close to reasonable AoE. My massively undergeared hunter can easily out AoE my decent geared shaman. Ok its not as bad as it used to be pre FN but its still well behind most other DPS classes.

Which got me thinking, how does FN scale and does it scale with AP or SP.

If it is SP, I was wondering if duel wielding a pair of SP weps (i have a couple from my healing gear) would help on trash to make it more fun?

What i would love to do is set my offspec to enh also and glyph FN and CL, but i need keep resto as my offspec to help out now and again with healing.

Deleted

Re: Fire Nova - Scaling

Quote Originally Posted by stevos
    Hi,

I have pretty much given up dps'ing on trash, as i just can't do anything close to reasonable AoE. My massively undergeared hunter can easily out AoE my decent geared shaman. Ok its not as bad as it used to be pre FN but its still well behind most other DPS classes.

Which got me thinking, how does FN scale and does it scale with AP or SP.

If it is SP, I was wondering if duel wielding a pair of SP weps (i have a couple from my healing gear) would help on trash to make it more fun?

What i would love to do is set my offspec to enh also and glyph FN and CL, but i need keep resto as my offspec to help out now and again with healing.
    - Scales with spell power
    - look at those SP weps - notice anything special? look for something that's different from melee-weps... no, not the AP or more DPS, I mean something much more important - MAIN HAND
    SP weapons are main hand only, so you can't dual-wield 'em

And just stay with the specc you have... no need to take any weird mix-speccs. If you're Elemental, stay Elemental, hope that you have a Demolock so you can put down Magma and then FN, or if you're Enhance just put Magma down and FN. Fill the rest with your normal attacks. (in other words - Magma and FN just have a higher priority)

Deleted

Not all SP weps are main handers, some are one handers. In either case i can still use one in my main hand.

I am enh, and i can probably hit 10k on a decent sized trash group whilst most of our dps is doing closer to 20k.

Doing our normal rotation whilst constantly tabbing targets (trying not to overagro) is just a pain, when most other dps classes can just use a channelling ability using 1 click.

I think i will give the SP wep idea a shot, since both magma and FN scale off it.

I am enh, and i can probably hit 10k on a decent sized trash group whilst most of our dps is doing closer to 20k.
    10k is too low, i.e you're doing something wrong. In a trash pack of that size Fire nova becomes the number one priority, above anything else. Including chain lightning. If you're really bothered about trash dps it would be better to just glyph for Fire Nova, then you'd be hitting 16-18k on those really big packs.

Deleted

Not all SP weps are main handers, some are one handers. In either case i can still use one in my main hand.
    If there are ANY SP weapons that are one handers then Blizzard missed them. They did a pass ages ago that flagged SP weapons as MH. Which ones did they miss?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Lumb
    10k is too low, i.e you're doing something wrong. In a trash pack of that size Fire nova becomes the number one priority, above anything else. Including chain lightning. If you're really bothered about trash dps it would be better to just glyph for Fire Nova, then you'd be hitting 16-18k on those really big packs.
    I have no plans to gimp my single target dps for trash but it would atleast be nice to do some competitive numbers.

Not actually sure what sort of figure i do pull but i know i am right at the bottom of the DPS group during AoE. Then again if i go all out with my normal rotation (allowing for high priorty for FN / Magma) i find i quickly overagro and having a low health pool, this tends to have bad consequences ;D

I could have swarn i had a SP wep that i used in my offhand previously (when my offhander broke in combat, oops), but checking wowhead it seems there isnt' any, so maybe its been altered, which is a shame. I guess i could just enchant a ICC10 melee weapon (they tend to get disenchanted anyway) with SP and use that in my offhand.

If i would use Magma Totem as elemental shaman my dps would go through the roof. But i cba refreshing it all the time on trash.

Magma Totem + Fire Nova + Thunderstorm + Chainlightning is plenty of AoE. And trash doesn't matter.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Levva
    If there are ANY SP weapons that are one handers then Blizzard missed them. They did a pass ages ago that flagged SP weapons as MH. Which ones did they miss?
    Four blue pre bc weapons. So no, none really.

I have no plans to gimp my single target dps for trash but it would atleast be nice to do some competitive numbers.
    Wouldn't equipping two SP weapons be gimping your single target dps more than glyphing fire nova? I don't get what you're saying really. If you want to do higher numbers on trash it's simple, you spam fire nova; preferably glyphed fire nova!

The best offhand sp weapon you can get is the dagger with 3 sockets from karazhan. Though any level 80 shield will grant more Spellpower.

None SP wpns are 1 handers, that got fixed some time ago I think it was in bc when we got the duel wield talent to counter having tons of sp as hybrid elemental with duel wield.

On topic, I as an elemental shaman in decent gear can easily pull 13k on small packs of aoe (Like after lady deathwhisper, not the big ones once u enter the upperspire), the enhancement shaman in my raid does the same if not slightly more aoe dps than me.

Hope it helps

edit: Didn't see levvas post, sorry bout that.

Gee here is a though how about single targeting then?
    Just because you can aoe doesn't mean you have to and honestly trash dps really?Is that even an issue?
    Pew pew

Deleted

Obviously go back to normal dps weps for boss fights.

All i want is to make the endless grind of AoE trash groups a bit more fun. What's the harm in that?

The problem with using the FN glyph is that you can't then unequip it for boss fights, unless you want to spend money. Whilst you can switch weps for free.

To the OP

I dont know much about enhancement but tbh to me it just sounds that your being lazy about it. Im elemental and Im not going to compare Ele and Enhancement but been playing a Shaman for almost 4 years now and if you REALLY want to do some serious damage you will have to keep your focus and rotation as tight as possible and like the others said Magma + Nova + Chain Lighting = Some serious AoE.

Me and the Enhancement shaman in our guild are owning so bad on AoE trash its not even funny, hes even spiking to much higher numbers that I do sometimes peaking around 15k - 17k.

Like I said, stay focused keep your rotation tight and refresh Magma while keeping Fire Nova on CD you'd be surprised at the results.

Deleted

I spend enough time focusing during bosses, why would i want to do the same for trash when most other classes can just one button it.

Deleted

I spend enough time focusing during bosses, why would i want to do the same for trash when most other classes can just one button it.
    Then shaman might not be the class you want to play if you want to do 40k trash AoE Gogo warlock!

Deleted

I realise that, but was wondering if there was a way to improve the situation slightly. Hence the original post.

15+ Year Old Account

i have to say aoe dps is pretty underwhelming for shaman except when there is more then 4 mobs
    Quote Originally Posted by -=Satyr=-
    Then shaman might not be the class you want to play if you want to do 40k trash AoE Gogo warlock!
    doing 40k for 2 sec is not really efficient when you die :P

i miss my double http://www.wowhead.com/?item=32237

Quote Originally Posted by Devious009
    To the OP

I dont know much about enhancement but tbh to me it just sounds that your being lazy about it. Im elemental and Im not going to compare Ele and Enhancement but been playing a Shaman for almost 4 years now and if you REALLY want to do some serious damage you will have to keep your focus and rotation as tight as possible and like the others said Magma + Nova + Chain Lighting = Some serious AoE.

Me and the Enhancement shaman in our guild are owning so bad on AoE trash its not even funny, hes even spiking to much higher numbers that I do sometimes peaking around 15k - 17k.

Like I said, stay focused keep your rotation tight and refresh Magma while keeping Fire Nova on CD you'd be surprised at the results.
    You play in an odd guild, Ret paladins and Fury warriors should utterly destroy enhancement on AoE packs, peaking over 22k. CL has a LONG cooldown, as in I can fire one off and get a five stack before the CD is half over. FN scales with spellpower so it just doesn't hit hard at all for enhancement. Short version, shaman should never be winning AoE pulls, not even close, but our AoE dps doesn't really need buffs we can do more than enough AoE to down anything that needs to die.

I appreciate what the OP is trying to do, but the short version is that for any AoE pack the amount of gimping you are going to have to do to yourself to see a noticeable difference in magma+CL+FN damage via spellpower is going to get lost in the fact that you will be doing significantly less single target damage at the same time. Remember magma and FN are target capped AoEs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I pity people who have gotten so insensate to disrespect and abuse from repetition that they have elevated being jaded to a virtue.

I pretty much agree with Fornaw.

There is the option to make a trash OS, but to me, that's pretty much a waste of your OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danund81
    Just SAY IT.* "I'm right you're wrong and I know it because I have the power of a website's link."