Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Runeforging for Tank

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...st&cn=Mordockk

I recently dropped stoneskin gargoyle(25def + 2% stam) for swordshattering (4% parry). My DEF skill is still 557 without rune of stoneskin gargoyle.

i'm think the 2% stam may scale better now that i have both my trinkets. the 25def doesnt do much because of the DR on def. i'm sure this has been discussed somewhere but question is,

when is it viable(if it is) to drop stoneskin garg for swordshattering? i just went with my gut on this one.

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Runeforging for Tank

Quote Originally Posted by Mordockk
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...st&cn=Mordockk

I recently dropped stoneskin gargoyle(25def + 2% stam) for swordshattering (4% parry). My DEF skill is still 557 without rune of stoneskin gargoyle.

i'm think the 2% stam may scale better now that i have both my trinkets. the 25def doesnt do much because of the DR on def. i'm sure this has been discussed somewhere but question is,

when is it viable(if it is) to drop stoneskin garg for swordshattering? i just went with my gut on this one.
    Lots of DK tanks prefer Swordshattering before Stoneskin, since Swordshattering is giving greater avoidance. The only downside of this (when you're def capped without it) would be the extra Stamina, however, if your healers are great, they can manage that little pushback.

Deleted

Seem's like an ok choice, don't you also get disarm bonus from Swordshattering (or am i drunk?)? But really, that 25 def is only worth, 0.5% avoidance overall i tihnk, and if your crit capped, that 4% parry is still worth 4% avoidance. So that's like a 900% increase? that's amazing, can't argue it.

However, that 2% stam complicates things. If you sometimes have trouble staying alive when you take 1 full hit, stick with 2% stam. However, after 1 FULL hit your still chilling at around 45-50% HP go with parry ^^

(also, might be worthing switchin to the 2% stam where you really do get hit hard. (Festergut nd Putricide P3 pop to mind)

Stoneskin Gargoyle doesn't suffer diminishing returns and gives you 3% avoidance.

I have to disagree here. In my opintion you should not switch Stoneskin Gargoly to Swordshattering. Instead replace your leggings with Pillars of Might chest with T10. Your problem (or well its not a real problem) is that you get too much defense from your gear. Solution: Use gear that gives less defense and more stam, mitigation and avoidance

Quote Originally Posted by Raptorg
    Stoneskin Gargoyle doesn't suffer diminishing returns and gives you 3% avoidance.

Stop being terrible.
    gtfo

Quote Originally Posted by Kiusaaja
    I have to disagree here. In my opintion you should not switch Stoneskin Gargoly to Swordshattering. Instead replace your leggings with Pillars of Might chest with T10. Your problem (or well its not a real problem) is that you get too much defense from your gear. Solution: Use gear that gives less defense and more stam, mitigation and avoidance
    well the gear i have has just been kinda of handed to me since tank is my offspec. ive got all my dps pieces from badges now so that's actually a good idea since i can spend on tank gear now. i havent really looked at much of the gear lists for my tank set yet. might be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordockk
    gtfo
    No, you and your companions were spreading misinformation.

You want proof? Here you go.

Don't use Swordshattering.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Raptorg
    No, you and your companions were spreading misinformation.

You want proof? Here you go.
    http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...imRetRotSG.jpg

Don't use Swordshattering.
    This is actually all the proof you will ever need. Praise Raptorg. Raptorg is now what to DKs that Ronark is to Paladins.

Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou
    This is actually all the proof you will ever need. Praise Raptorg. Raptorg is now what to DKs that Ronark is to Paladins.
    who's Ronark? I've never heard of this character xD

There is a comparison between the two runes here: http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...argoyle-tested . It is a bit old, but it might help you.

And I confirm what Raptorg said (and the elitistjerk link does too): no DR on both runes, and the rune of stoneskin gargoyle gives defense skill and not rating.

ya thanks actually i didnt kno that. F* swordshattering then. just couldnt find it anywhere which was better. 3% avoidance + 2% stam is way better than 4% avoidance. you have shown me the light, but still didnt appreciate your snobby 'stop being terrible remark' and thanks for removing it.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Doirdyn
    who's Ronark? I've never heard of this character xD
    lol L2 Paladin Forums ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Tapchi
    There is a comparison between the two runes here: http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...argoyle-tested . It is a bit old, but it might help you.

And I confirm what Raptorg said (and the elitistjerk link does too): no DR on both runes, and the rune of stoneskin gargoyle gives defense skill and not rating.
    when did i say it gave def rating? or do u mean that by writing 25Defense skill on the tooltip means that we shuld know that doesnt suffer from DR?

either way i got my answer. thanks folks.

It's a pretty minor bonus, but the extra defense on stoneskin will add an extra bit of damage reduction onto your icebound fortitude too.

shattering is 4% parry avoidance suffering DR
    stoneskin is 3%avoidance without DR, which also buffs IBF and a stam buff on top of it.

x is less than or equal to 4%parry
    vs
    x is 3%+IBF buff+stam buff
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

Quote Originally Posted by Albert the fish
    shattering is 4% parry avoidance suffering DR
    stoneskin is 3%avoidance without DR, which also buffs IBF and a stam buff on top of it.

x is less than or equal to 4%parry
    vs
    x is 3%+IBF buff+stam buff
    No.

doesn't suffer DR? hmm my bad then
    either way it's inferior overall. the 50% disarm isn't worth paying attention to
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

so what we've determined is only def 'rating' suffers from DR not def skill. since stoneskin gargoyle only effects DEF SKILL it gives you the flat 3% avoidance buff. the rating you currently have still gives you the same amount of avoidance after you factor in the def skill from gargoyle.

Okay, because there seems to be some confusion on diminishing returns...

There are two parts to every avoidance stat, the rating and what the rating affects. Parry and Dodge rating affect Parry and Dodge percentage, Defense rating affects Defense skill, which is really just parry, dodge, miss, and block percentage rolled into one stat. Diminishing returns only affect the rate of conversion of rating into percentage, not the percentage itself.

So Forceful Deflection, which converts Strength into Parry rating, suffers diminishing returns. Anticipation, which adds a 1% chance to dodge per point, does not.

As for runeforges, there is never a reason to use anything but SSG as a tank. Avoidance only works on physical attacks, stamina works on everything.