Hard or soft Hit Cap

Hi yall,
    Ive been having this issue for a long time. I currently have some pieces of the tier 10 and most of my gear doesnt give me enough HR to get the 17% hard cap. Currently i have about 15%. i was wondering, what difference would be if i keep my hit rating on 14% since I consider wasting 3 talent points on supression is rly a waste of talents?
    Would be better to gem and enchant for hit rating just to keep me on soft cap?

this is my gear http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...shj&cn=Ryukaku

Hope ur responses
    Cya

**Some of the people i asked said that hard hit cap is useless since moonkin,shadow priest and heroic pressence effects but what if theres no one on my raid?**

Re: Hard or soft Hit Cap

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukaku
    Hi yall,
    Ive been having this issue for a long time. I currently have some pieces of the tier 10 and most of my gear doesnt give me enough HR to get the 17% hard cap. Currently i have about 15%. i was wondering, what difference would be if i keep my hit rating on 14% since I consider wasting 3 talent points on supression is rly a waste of talents?
    Would be better to gem and enchant for hit rating just to keep me on soft cap?

this is my gear http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...shj&cn=Ryukaku

Hope ur responses
    Cya

**Some of the people i asked said that hard hit cap is useless since moonkin,shadow priest and heroic pressence effects but what if theres no one on my raid?**
    I gear and spec for the softcap. I personally feel that gearing for 17% hit is a tremendous waste of stat allocation. It's rare to find a 25 man ICC that doesn't have an OOMkin or Shadow Priest in the raid. The raid leader frankly isn't doing their job well if they aren't bringing the proper buffs.

The reality of 10 mans is that you'll occasionally find yourself without a Shadow Priest or OOMkin. I just make sure that I carry some off-pieces with hit that will allow me to hard hit cap (Abracadaver, Amulet of the Silent Eulogy, etc) along with hit food.

If you're running demo in 3.3.3 you can also consider taking the 2 points out of Imp Demonic Tactics and sliding them over to Suppression when you find yourself without the hit buff.

Edit: Consider going for Chaotic Skyflare Diamond in that meta ; )

15+ Year Old Account

You got an upgrade. Regardless of if you use it immediately or not:
    1) Does it have hit on it?
    2) Does the piece you are replacing have hit

If yes to either, keep it. If no to both, disenchant/sell it.

Then you can gear for softcap and go hard cap as required

R.I.P. YARG

Gear for what you will have in the raid. Also try keeping some old hit gear (1 tier lower) just so you have some flexibility when you get upgrades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    (Oh god I'm such a troll)

Could someone explain me why you would want to take less than 3 points into Suppresion? It's not like there are any other viable DPS talents left, are there?

The cookie cutter builds usually don't use suppression as there actually ARE better talents for all builds and it is very easy to hit 13/14% via gear. However, it is very viable to use suppression if you're lacking hit and are unable to compensate it with reasonable gear at the moment.

The main reason to always gear for the soft cap is: when you are approaching a challenging boss, the raid just should be decently set up. Gearing for a suboptimal situation when an optimal situation is easy to reach just makes no sense at all. That would be like carrying your umbrella and raincoat with you all summer, "just in case".

For 10-mans it is reasonable dps-wise to have some hit-gear buried in you inventory, on the other hand 10-mans are just not challenging if you're doing 25-mans regularly, and even in 10-mans you usually have the hit debuff present, at least that's my random experience. The last time a 10-man that really forced you to optimize your setup was Sartharion-3D in 3.0, and that was just a mistake from Blizz' side ("Well, should be easy in 10-player version, just take 3 tanks, 3 healers and 5 DDs... wait, what?").

The only case I can imagine for this would be strict 10-man-raiding with a fixed setup without hit debuff.
    Proud author of the totally outdated WotLK Affli Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jr
    Could someone explain me why you would want to take less than 3 points into Suppresion? It's not like there are any other viable DPS talents left, are there?
    I'd rather have ISL than suppression as destro since by golly I have no interest in pushing life tap anymore often than I darn well has to. (Unsure what magical EJ eightball says about dps of the two talents, ask again later)

As aff you'd have to be pretty insane. You can not effectively drop any points in the demo spec. Mostly to do with the fact that you have no less than three tiers with over 5 points past the halfway point. Good tree design imo.

14% is a good number to run with.. about 368 odd
    "A real man makes his own luck" - Billy Zane, Titanic.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Jr
    Sometimes there are, sometimes there are not. The reason you don't want to however is rating conversion.

When creating an item, Blizzard uses the following formula: 2 AP = 1.17 SP = 1 Hit / Crit / Haste / Spirit / Agi / Str / etc = .5 MP5

It takes ~45 Crit rating to make 1% Crit.
    It takes ~33 Haste rating to make 1% Haste.
    It takes ~26 Hit Rating to make 1% Hit.

Therefore, considering that on gear 1 Crit Rating = 1 Hit rating, and given that you can choose between 1% Crit (Backlash) and 1% Hit (Suppression), it makes more sense to drop ~26 Crit Rating for ~26 Hit rating on your gear and then take the 1% Crit Talent, as that gives you a net gain of 18 Rating overall.

Also, if you drop non-dps talents such as Destructive Reach, consider the extra run time in the event that you are skirting the edge of the max range. If the boss moves, you have to as well. If an add spawns, you might have to move to get there. There are a lot of passive gains to be had from non-dps specific talents.

That said, if you ~need~ the hit, you take the talent. Period. If you can do without the talent, you don't take it and make your gear work.

R.I.P. YARG

10+ Year Old Account

I like being hard capped. I'm in a small guild and we only do 10 mans(We had our first ICC25 last week with some people using heroic epics Downed first three though... Wish us luck!).
    But i still gear accordingly to our 10 man. And the only +hit is a draenei so... i'm stuck @ 16%.
    In your case gear accordingly to your raid setup.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
    Warlocks are hard.

Well for me, it allows me to have a 10 man spec with replenishment and shadowfury and the deep imp spec for personal dps in 25 mans for destro.