Spell penetration for PvP

Was just doing some reading on what is a good spell pen rating to have is for PvP and Im getting mixed messages.
    Some sites say spell pen is an absolute waste, some say that all you need is the +35 on your cloak, and more then a few say you want to shoot for around 100 spell pen for arcane.

Then comes the question what does it actually do? I've seen different explanations from sources. Does is lower the resilience of your target? Does it lower your targets resistance?

I recently got back into Battlegrounds with a little arena's thrown in there. I love Arcane for PvP, frost just plays to slow for me and this is the PvP speck I use atm.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...z&cn=Waluigiee

Re: Spell penetration for PvP

Spell pen is used as a counter to resistances, whether they be racials or buffs.

Pally auras
    Mark of the wild
    Priest shadow resist
    etc.

Certain classes also have a chance to resist a certain school of magic, or all of them *cough BEs*

I've never really used it, but it certainly helps, as in PvP you can rarely afford a resist on a cc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussi View Post
    I will eat an entire plate full of hats if there isn't a new raiding tier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

As arcane I'm not sure, I don't like how squishy arcane is in PvP so I don't really play it, but as frost you want to have 130 spell penetration as that will reduce any opponents resistance to 0.

I know spell penetration is one of the so called "boring" stats to gem, but the difference against warlocks and teams with paladins is quite substantial.

Nah, spell penetration cannot be used as a substitute for hit. It is purely used for negating their resistances. If you have a 5% chance to miss then you need 5% hit. If you have a 5% chance to miss in addition to the enemy having let's say 80 to all resists, you need 80 spell penetration and 5% hit to hit at all times. I am not entirely sure on the numbers here, but yeah arcane mages with mage armor on can reach stupid amounts of resists. Such cases are rare and usually the only resists people have is what they get from motw (around 50?) especially when it comes to arcane since there are neither arcane resist auras nor totems. The spell penetration enchant for cloak is excellent but tbh if you are arcane I don't think you need much more than that. Extra spell penetration beyond the enchant can be useful, but most likely you are better off gemming for other stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Acdc1234
    Spell pen is used as a counter to resistances, whether they be racials or buffs.

Pally auras
    Mark of the wild
    Priest shadow resist
    etc.

Certain classes also have a chance to resist a certain school of magic, or all of them *cough BEs*

I've never really used it, but it certainly helps, as in PvP you can rarely afford a resist on a cc.

I have ~ 80 spell pen and in fire spec for pvp. Fire is just fun to play IMO. 80 ensures you get past Druid Skin, arcane mages passive 80 resists from talents, and more then half of pally buffs and or totems. Due to pallys being everywhere nowadays, I might up it to 130 just to ensure my spells never get resisted; except of course for Arcane mages.

Some people say all you need is the cloak enchant, due to Gift/Mark of the Wild (or drums) buffing your resists +25. I'm currently setting at 80 (plus or minus a few), and still get resists from pally's, shaman's and the occasional mage.

I myself use 150 spell Pen from Mysterious Dreadstones +12 Spell Power and +13 Spell Pen. Spell Pen does help against the users like everyone says of paladins, but it does not mean they can't resist. The paladin aura only states it "increases" resist.

Mages and paladins have the most resistances. Mages hit 120, paladins (and their team) can hit 130. Gear around that range. I wouldn't use a gem if you're at, say, 127, but I would if you're at 118. Spell penetration is very important.

i rock 120 spell penetration. you need it against arcane mages, locks, amongst others. i wouldn't go below 100 because its frustrating seeing resist messages imo.

does anyone know if there is a stat for spell penetration on the character doll? i see everything but spell penetration and have to count it from sockets/enchants each time :P

Quote Originally Posted by Spurmwhale
    i rock 120 spell penetration. you need it against arcane mages, locks, amongst others. i wouldn't go below 100 because its frustrating seeing resist messages imo.

does anyone know if there is a stat for spell penetration on the character doll? i see everything but spell penetration and have to count it from sockets/enchants each time :P
    Just like with armor penetration what you need to do is hover over your hit rating, only this time in the spell tab, hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Skarrd
    Mages and paladins have the most resistances. Mages hit 120, paladins (and their team) can hit 130. Gear around that range. I wouldn't use a gem if you're at, say, 127, but I would if you're at 118. Spell penetration is very important.
    mages can hit 140 resistances, and a blood elf can have 2% on top of that.

Quote Originally Posted by coolcatchris
    A mage with a paladin can hit 250, but that's a retarded amount of spell penetration to gear around.

Quote Originally Posted by coolcatchris
    Blood elves have a 2% chance to resist spells, which are calculated using the +hit roll and are, again, a completely different mechanic from Spell Penetration/Resistance.

Depending on what class/spec/comp you are/run, you will need varying amounts of spell pen. If you have offensive spells that make up a significant portion of your damage (like casters such as mages, but also like UH DKs) or have spells which can make or break a game (Disc priest w/ Fear, etc.) then you'll want at least 75. Generally, gearing over 130 is unnecessary, as although mages can get their Resist higher than that, it's not feasible to try to gear spell pen to that level.