iDPS/spreadsheets and local optimum

Hi,

Aldriana's spreadsheet and iDPS seem to give gear and gem advices regarding the current DPS ; this oftenly leads to local optimums.
    Rawr is based on a genetic algorithm (from what I've heard). This kind of algorithm is well-known for trying to escape local optimums (but it's not perfect) but I've seen that the rogue module is not as accurate as the ss.

How do you use theses tools : do you stick to their advices or do you make more intense testing with every kind of gear/gem/talents ?

iDPS seems so fast to calculate DPS, I'm wondering if an exhaustive (with 251+ items) listing of all combinations could be done.

I'm asking this because of the thread "ArP for Combat" where ArP gems are not adviced to a player by the SS because of this "local DPS" point of view.

I'm really not confident about what I'm saying here, I can be totally mistaken.
    Thanks in advance for any answer, sorry for any english mistakes.

Re: iDPS/spreadsheets and local optimum

The spreadsheet is more accurate, but more time consuming. iDPS is good enough for most players, and dead simple to use. If you're worried about gemming the wrong thing, go with AP as it's never really a BAD choice, just maybe a little less than optimal.

For instance, my gear suggests that I use AP/crit gems in yellow sockets. I use AP/hit. If I'm missing my hit debuff, I'm covered, and if I'm not, it's a 1.5dps difference between the two. Not that big a deal for me.

One thing that you have to understand, which can be changed on the spreadsheet but not on .rar is that you are going to automatically have the perfect raid buffs. It will assume that everything is optimal for you. 9 times out of 10 the .rar will work just fine and is very easy to use and is very close to the spreadsheet. If you really want to max the amount of dps u can do I would recommend taking the time with the spreadsheet if you know what you are doing. Personally, I use both.

In regards to gemming ArP as combat, you should be gemming ArP when you have 600 or more Passive ArP.
    Once you hit 600 Passive ArP, the EP higher then AP (when you get close to 600 the EP values are very close).