Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Need some advice on DPS

Hey,

Here's my problem:

I run some ICC10 raids with the guild but I feel like the other DPS classes just aren't pulling their weight. Before I lay into them a bit and tell them to pull their finger out, I want to make sure that i'm actually being fair.

I'm a hunter (Pure DPS)...the rest as Hyrbrids. They are also less geared than me, does this explain the numbers here? I don't have much knowledge on the non-hunter classes and what they should be aiming for.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=1267&e=1512

I'm not saying I'm perfect, I just don't see us getting very far when we have to drop to 3 healers for the tougher fights...

Cheers!
    Valilor

Re: Need some advice on DPS

Seeing how the deathknight doesnt seem to have incoming damadge on cleaves only on bonestorm and is unholy specced im going to guess he's dps and the pala was solo tanking it? If so he and the other melee dps have to step it up, a lot, depending on their gear ofc. But either theyre doing something wrong or are very undergeared for icc.
    Ranged i cant say as much about as i havn't played marrowgar as a ranged dps myself, i have noticed ranged seem lower on this fight then on other fights (pushbacks mostly i guess). Atleast the lock seems too low, moonkin can be doing good enough i guess depending on his gear and how marrowgar fight affects his dps. It would be better to show a log of a fight like festergut if you have that to determine how the dps is performing.

All in all, it seems like your dps needs to shape up. But keep in mind that some encounters work different for different classes. When you confront your dps'ers about it give them a chance to explain if they have an explanation. And try to give constructive advice, not criticize too much. With these kind of dps numbers they would probably already improve a lot by looking up specs, rotations, gemming/enchanting etc online.

Edit: i just noticed the paladin who was #4 on dps was your other tank, i think that already shows a lot. Never crossed my mind that the 2 tanks wouldnt be the 2 lowest on dps after the healers

Quote Originally Posted by Divinedoom
    Seeing how the deathknight doesnt seem to have incoming damadge on cleaves only on bonestorm and is unholy specced im going to guess he's dps and the pala was solo tanking it?
    We had 2 tanks here - both Prot Palas, Rocksteadi and Daggamaz. The DK was DPS.

If so he and the other melee dps have to step it up, a lot, depending on their gear ofc. But either theyre doing something wrong or are very undergeared for icc.
    I don't know anything about gearing for other classes beyond if it's PvP gear and their gearscore. Their GS are all over 5k, which would mean approx 232 level items, which should be fine for this section of ICC10. I'm not sure what kind of DPS people at that level should be putting out but I'm also a bit scared to ask "What DPS should X GS do?" as someone will inevitably say "About 10k DPS noob!" - not very helpful.

It would be better to show a log of a fight like festergut if you have that to determine how the dps is performing.
    Agreed but after downing DBS I called the raid off as I didn't fancy fighting through all that trash to fail a DPS race in there >< On that log you can select to see Marrowgar, Lady Deathwhisper or Deathbringer Saurfang if you click on the bosses name near the top. After Marrowgar, our Holy Pala - Gloin - DC'd so Elenria when Resto and we got in a Pugged DK DPS called Necra.

All in all, it seems like your dps needs to shape up. But keep in mind that some encounters work different for different classes. When you confront your dps'ers about it give them a chance to explain if they have an explanation. And try to give constructive advice, not criticize too much. With these kind of dps numbers they would probably already improve a lot by looking up specs, rotations, gemming/enchanting etc online.
    Yeah, I'll definitely proceed with caution - but if I had some kind of DPS number to quote, something for them to aim for, it might help...I just don't know what that might me. I might go with a safe 4.5k on Marrowgar (We all also have the 5% buff)

Edit: i just noticed the paladin who was #4 on dps was your other tank, i think that already shows a lot. Not good
    Yup! LOL

Yes i understand you dont want to risk asking about a specific dps for a gs on these forums But if people are in the 232 and higher range of gear with no pvp gear i think its safe to ask for 4-4.5K+. You can do a lot higher in that gear if you do everything right, know your class etc. But these icc runs dont seem to be focussing on hardmodes so fun and taking people allong you like raiding with is more important.

If your lowest dps'ers are at or above 4-4.5K and you have some people like yourself higher you should be able to clear some more of the normal mode encounters like festergut and rotface and valithria a lot smoother then you could (or couldnt, festergut is obviously a no no with that dps) now.

I still think that your raiders could learn a lot from looking up some guides to specs, rotation, gemming/enchanting etc on for example these forums or elitist jerks forums. Try to mention that to them, be clear enough that it needs to be better without being harsh or putting too much blame on people.

edit: Well on DBS things are looking up a bit, your lock 4.1K for example doesnt have to be bad depending on gear since he/she also had to switch to blood beasts.
    But mainly your dk has to make some improvements. Not only is his dps the lowest, but having a dk dps alt myself, its clear that his rotation is very messed up.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

the dps paladin is doing low dps considered he do holy dmg and has an advantaged against those undead guys, the moonkin should also be able to increase his dps, im playing moonkin my self and can't say that fight should be lowering my dps much, its a bit moving in it, but thats a nice time to refresh the dots etc..

i don't know what the problem is, maybe they have a bad rotation or something

Quote Originally Posted by Divinedoom
    edit: Well on DBS things are looking up a bit, your lock 4.1K for example doesnt have to be bad depending on gear since he/she also had to switch to blood beasts.
    But mainly your dk has to make some improvements. Not only is his dps the lowest, but having a dk dps alt myself, its clear that his rotation is very messed up.
    Yeah, this was surprising. As we had a lot of DPS available and not much ranged, I got Kyle and Necra to help out with killing the beasts. That'll explain any drop in DPS from those 2. I'd imagine Necra would be around 4.5-5k dps single target (a non-guildy though!). Bitty - the Warlock - surprises me though. I would have thought in a fight where there is target switching and potential kiting his DPS would be lower (mine was) - but his went up? Strange things warlocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamara
    i don't know what the problem is, maybe they have a bad rotation or something
    I think you're probably right, it's just a lack of "knowing your class" I guess.

You were carrying that raid, holy cow.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius
    You were carrying that raid, holy cow.
    Well I was the raid leader! Surprising how few wipes we had really.

good healers and tanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heloko
    good healers and tanks
    Could be better though HELOKO

oooooh yes, loads of room for improvement!

That DPS is horrible.
    They need to learn their class some more.

Your warrior scares me.. I play fury and he hasn't used heroic strike ONCE O_O Nowhere near enough whirlwinds either tbh. Whirlwind is our win move =O

I'm only commenting about the warrior because i know the class and spec. Whirlwind and bloodthirst should be on cooldown THEN use your slam procs if you have a bloodsurge. Bloodsurges will become more frequent when he uses whirlwind and heroic strike more. Fill with heroic strikes really.

In short push more buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Koryn^^
    Your warrior scares me.. I play fury and he hasn't used heroic strike ONCE O_O Nowhere near enough whirlwinds either tbh. Whirlwind is our win move =O

I'm only commenting about the warrior because i know the class and spec. Whirlwind and bloodthirst should be on cooldown THEN use your slam procs if you have a bloodsurge. Bloodsurges will become more frequent when he uses whirlwind and heroic strike more. Fill with heroic strikes really.

In short push more buttons.
    Cheers mate, this is just the kinda advice I need!

Deleted

Ok, this is the fist log that i am reading and i have never try unholy for dps, but could an unholy Dk read the dks damage and tell me if they find anything weird in there?

I was looking over your Boomkin's DPS, and there's 1 obvious thing he's missing right off the bat (Marrowgar at least), which is Insect Swarm uptime. The #1 reason to have a boomkin in your group is for the debuff from Improved Insect Swarm. I have a decently geared Boomkin, and if he's not using it already, his rotation should involve Wrath until eclipse proc, then eclipse should proc eclipse at the end, doing wrath until eclipse proc over n over again. The important thing is to make sure Moonfire and Insect Swarm are refreshed as soon as they drop off.

There's a couple mods that monitor this (very easy bars) to make it much easier to tell when they're going to pop and when you proc your eclipse
    Dindin - 85 Druid Boomkin/Resto - Demon Soul (H)
    Dinden - 84 Druid Feral/Feral - Demon Soul (H)
    Markeded - 85 Hunter - Doomhammer (A)
    Eggboi - 83 Paladin - Doomhammer (A)

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Mijithroulis
    Ok, this is the fist log that i am reading and i have never try unholy for dps, but could an unholy Dk read the dks damage and tell me if they find anything weird in there?
    Well, on Marrogaw melee was 27% of his damage. Scourge strike is down on 3% or so, and I don't see any damage from Blood Strikes, but I do see damage from Death Strikes. He clearly needs to learn his class' rotation/priorities. I would recommend him to check out the elitistjerks forum post about Unholy DPS.
    I'm a reverse solipsist. I know the rest of the universe is real, I just don't have any conclusive proof that I exist.

I think I found your DK in the armory. That's some weirdass spec he's got there. Like, really weird. Points in anticipation for starters.

And this is a long shot, but try using rankwatch to catch downranked abilites, you never know.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by wolffish
    I think I found your DK in the armory. That's some weirdass spec he's got there. Like, really weird. Points in anticipation for starters.

And this is a long shot, but try using rankwatch to catch downranked abilites, you never know.
    Ah yes, found it as well. That's really sum very awkward DPS spec. (Are they both DPS, or one PVP? no idea) It just looks like he's taken a bit of everything without really thinking about it. (link btw, click)
    I'm a reverse solipsist. I know the rest of the universe is real, I just don't have any conclusive proof that I exist.