Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

I LOVE this new Profession system!

Literally, the best professions have ever been in the game. Ever. I've been nothing but amazed at how awesome this whole experience has been.

I'm at 799 Jewelcrafting. I've crafted 10+ Rank 3 necklaces. I'm still at 799 Jewelcrafting. Never you mind that I've spent hours upon hours mining and hundreds of thousands of gold and still need to buy Pandemonite off the auction house. Now I'm having to spam heroics for Bloods because even just cutting a gem requires them. Five Bloods to make one of these necklaces. Five. And they're green. Rank three (which took 50+ dungeon runs before the pattern dropped) and it's green.

Best profession system ever. Just thrilled across the board with how it has turned out. Great job, Blizzard. I mean, after 10+ years of this game you continue to outdo yourselves. It seems impossible for you to make this stuff better each expansion, but somehow you pull it off. Whatever you guys are getting paid? It ain't enough. I hope Metzen made it rain on you guys before he golden parachuted off into retirement. Just inspired work from top to bottom from all of you guys. I just love how obvious it is that all of you developers played through this stuff to make sure it was fun, rewarding, and not a soul-crushing grind. So many other companies out there have lazy, inept people who don't even bother playing their own stuff to see if it's actually, you know, fun. Glad to know you guys aren't like that. In Blizzard We Trust, is my motto.

Thanks again, guys. Keep up the good work.

Deleted
    Well, just wait for darkmoon faire and get the easy +5, have fun

JC is a fucking mess this expansion.

I'm glad that you like it so much

you should try alchemy.

craft hundreds of flasks and be at 780 because the rank 3 recipe won't RNG proc while making a flask.

nvm that you also gave them 40 pots to just craft the rank 1 recipe which is just useless now because you better sell mats and buy flasks on AH because base mats sell higher than flasks. Levelling alchemy was really the most satisfying experience this expansion so far.

Indeed! The people who came up with this new crafting should be punched in the fac.... umm *cough* commended for their fine works!

Seems like some professions just aren't keeping up. Ones like LW and JC simply aren't as necessary as alchemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    Indeed! The people who came up with this new crafting should be punched in the fac.... umm *cough* commended for their fine works!
    oh the system itself is excellent and a good idea, but the way it was executed. The amounts we need and the amount we can actually collect over a period of time...is ridiculous

Deleted
    I love how you're able to level an alt with alchemy and craft your own pots and flasks without having to do long, retarded quests or depend on rng. It's awesomr.

Oh wa-

Let's not forget how you spend all this time and energy into getting obliteration, for the item you made to be replaced from a world quest drop two minutes later.

Or how the big new thing to keep inscription valid doesn't work in mythics.

I honestly do not understand how every expansion they can make professions even worse. It's boggles the freaking mind.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    oh the system itself is excellent and a good idea, but the way it was executed. The amounts we need and the amount we can actually collect over a period of time...is ridiculous
    As someone who got Leatherworking to 800 i strenuously disagree that it is excellent or a good idea in any way. It was so bad that i am not touching any crafting on my other characters. Even gathering in a total joke. I lost count of how many stacks of herbs my Alt druid has and i have yet to get even rank 2 in some and have not had a sniff or ranks three for any.

As someone who got Leatherworking to 800 i strenuously disagree that it is excellent or a good idea in any way. It was so bad that i am not touching any crafting on my other characters. Even gathering in a total joke. I lost count of how many stacks of herbs my Alt druid has and i have yet to get even rank 2 in some and have not had a sniff or ranks three for any.
    and....like i said.. the structure is great but the execution was terrible. chance to obtain higher ranks, the amounts we can actually collect vs how much gets used, the benefit of using mats vs the effort it takes to get them, all of it is out of balance.

Part of it is like blizz designed it around making sure the AH priced them as high as possible to eat up all the WoD gold. Lets not forget how much ore gets eaten trying to make gems. In a lot of servers its better to sell the ore and buy the gems or sell herbs and buy the flasks. Rather than use them to make the other.

It just feels so odd that such a nice "looking system" was re-purposed in a manner that gives us a better advantage to sell the mats we get rather than use them
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2016-10-01 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    and....like i said.. the structure is great but the execution was terrible. Part of it is like blizz designed it around making sure the AH priced them as high as possible to eat up all the WoD gold.
    I think the structure is bloody awful. It is built on RNG. It was bad enough that the things you make are rng but now the acquisition of recipes are? Each to their own i guess but i can't think of one laudable aspect of crafting now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Astador View Post
    Literally, the best professions have ever been in the game. Ever. I've been nothing but amazed at how awesome this whole experience has been.

I'm at 799 Jewelcrafting. I've crafted 10+ Rank 3 necklaces. I'm still at 799 Jewelcrafting. Never you mind that I've spent hours upon hours mining and hundreds of thousands of gold and still need to buy Pandemonite off the auction house. Now I'm having to spam heroics for Bloods because even just cutting a gem requires them. Five Bloods to make one of these necklaces. Five. And they're green. Rank three (which took 50+ dungeon runs before the pattern dropped) and it's green.

Best profession system ever. Just thrilled across the board with how it has turned out. Great job, Blizzard. I mean, after 10+ years of this game you continue to outdo yourselves. It seems impossible for you to make this stuff better each expansion, but somehow you pull it off. Whatever you guys are getting paid? It ain't enough. I hope Metzen made it rain on you guys before he golden parachuted off into retirement. Just inspired work from top to bottom from all of you guys. I just love how obvious it is that all of you developers played through this stuff to make sure it was fun, rewarding, and not a soul-crushing grind. So many other companies out there have lazy, inept people who don't even bother playing their own stuff to see if it's actually, you know, fun. Glad to know you guys aren't like that. In Blizzard We Trust, is my motto.

Thanks again, guys. Keep up the good work.
    Beautiful Read, you Sir, or Lady are a true genius in the magnificent art of bittersweet sarcasm.

On Topic... yup, it is not just JC, Engineering and other professions suck Reindeer Balls as well, only professions worth anything this time around are gathering professions and alchemy... though alchemy is a super terrible rng gold sink before it might be profitable. I really hope blizzard fixes this horrible mess, otherwise I have to level my profs with the Darkmoon Faire too (If I can man up and do that at all this expansion on my account cap of alts.) Should only be like 20months of Darkmoon Faire I suppose

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah-chan View Post
    I really hope blizzard fixes this horrible mess, otherwise I have to level my profs with the Darkmoon Faire too (If I can man up and do that at all this expansion on my account cap of alts.) Should only be like 20months of Darkmoon Faire I suppose
    You know why they won't aim for one-year-expansions anymore? Because you can't level up your professions in span of 12 darkmoon faires.

You should have tried crafting in FFXI. Now that was fun.

On-Topic: Leveling a Profession to Max Level should be hard. Also, why does the level matter? What do you get by having 800 JC that you can't get at 700? An achievement? If that's the case, it's a pretty easy achievement compared others.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendas View Post
    You should have tried crafting in FFXI. Now that was fun.

On-Topic: Leveling a Profession to Max Level should be hard. Also, why does the level matter? What do you get by having 800 JC that you can't get at 700? An achievement? If that's the case, it's a pretty easy achievement compared others.
    Oh, I dunno, these things called +200 stat gems.

I think the structure is bloody awful. It is built on RNG. It was bad enough that the things you make are rng but now the acquisition of recipes are? Each to their own i guess but i can't think of one laudable aspect of crafting now.
    Again, not what iam talking about. You're talking like i LIKE this, but I dont, its clear from what i've been saying that i dont. But what i see is the real issue at hand causing the problem. What you're referring to is not the structure but the percentages and numbers behind it. Values (proc/drop rates for ranks, mats needed for each item, mats from converting resources like prospecting, etc) which can be flipped around while the structure (the rank system, oblit etc) remains the same. Remember random recipe discovered by making items in old expansions? Those were comfortable, but imagine if they adjusted the % to not be. That is whats happening here.

The idea of ranks, where resources are reduced, production amount is increased or a unique benefit is offered, is a great idea and system. However, the rate at which you can obtain ranks vs the effort of obtaining enough resources vs the amount of resources needed vs the value of the item made is completely out of flux. Thats the real issue. Not to mention how it's affecting the economy.

Its like driving a top of the line SUV in the desert at a crawl, getting stuck whenever a hill appears. The driving wheel has been locked to only turn 30% degree's. Its gas tank can only carry half a litre. I can see with my eyes when i put aside my bias. I realize the car is great, but the speed, gas tank and artificially reduced maneuverability is the issue. Adjust that and it becomes the wonderful vehicle it should be.
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2016-10-02 at 08:11 AM.

Random curiosity, do any other professions have things gated by being 800/800? Is it just JCing? Should I even care about hitting that on my main who's Enchant/Blacksmithing? (Both are pretty close to 800, but I've been lax because I thought it didn't matter)

Deleted
    yeah professions are abit odd this time around, they had some great ideas but then on the other hand you have stuff like:

-gotto get exalted with multiple factions to get lvl 3 recipies that are already obsolete.
    -can't upgrade gear past 850, making all crafting professions useless beyond the first month of release
    -somehow it slipped by them that you couldn't get smithing to 800 at launch
    -not seen anyone with rank 2 infernal brimstone yet, but got felhide and felwort rank 2 almost immediately
    -smithing quest has you do quest to get recipies you just bought of the vendor next to the quest giver
    -smithihng quest super short and simple compared to alchemy or leatherworking
    -got skinning to 800 by level 104 orso, mining everything was going green around 750, took darkmoon faire to get to max.

some real weird discrepancies and stuff :S

ranks are also abit weird. do i want to get my own flask recipy to rank 3, or do i want to sent mats to my guildie and get many more flasks for the same materials. HMMM

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Otiswhitaker View Post
    Random curiosity, do any other professions have things gated by being 800/800? Is it just JCing? Should I even care about hitting that on my main who's Enchant/Blacksmithing? (Both are pretty close to 800, but I've been lax because I thought it didn't matter)
    leatherworking mount requires 800 to make. im gonna go on a limb and say the smithing mount will too.