PvP gear for Tanking?

Hey guys,
    Long time lurker, first time posting!

I've been trying to find the answer everywhere but I haven't come across a straight forward answer.
    I tried using the search option but nothing so far ???
    So what the title says, is high end PvP gear viable for tanking?
    I came across a DK tank in a raid with some PvP gear on.
    My assumptions are that he might be using it for more threat? Or perhaps for the immense amount of Stamina?
    Perhaps a mix of both?

For those of you rolling your eyes, I didn't have a chance to ask him because I inspected him at the end of the raid and he logged off.

Thank you for taking your time to answer my question

Re: PvP gear for Tanking?

I don't think it's that good, pvp gear lacks avoidance and armor.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda
    I don't think it's that good, pvp gear lacks avoidance and armor.
    This ^. Some pieces may be better than pieces that you, yourself can currently obtain at the moment, but it definately isn't recommended to have many pieces. Resilience does cover crit immunity, however defense also gives miss chance, whereas resilience doesn't.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

very good, as a warrior, it's better to use pvp gear over tanking gear, it lacks avoidance, but that's a good thing, because you will get more rage in. plus it has high stamina and resilience, so you can still tank the big shit

so it's a fair trade off, you traid off all your avoidance, for crit. since you don't need any avoidance in heroics anyways, pvp gear wins

Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura
    This ^. Some pieces may be better than pieces that you, yourself can currently obtain at the moment, but it definately isn't recommended to have many pieces. Resilience does cover crit immunity, however defense also gives miss chance, whereas resilience doesn't.
    Ahh okay thank you.
    I think what confused me was that had mostly 25 man ICC gear, some mixed with 10 man heroic ICC gear, yet he had PvP bracers and some other minor things that were PvP. Perhaps those were considered upgrade for him then. Thank you both for the quick reponses!

The only real good PvP item that's any use to PvE is the Wrathful weapons for Druids and DKs. We benefit immensely from the... just pure gigantic amount of stamina on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxix
    The only real good PvP item that's any use to PvE is the Wrathful weapons for Druids and DKs. We benefit immensely from the... just pure gigantic amount of stamina on them.
    This and the sockets on the weapons for more stam.

10+ Year Old Account

Hey! I was told there were cookiez in here! Anyways, using PvP armor for tanking is just horrible... (From a experienced DK tank/dps.)

Anything above iLvl 200 should be tanked in PvE gear, but being a pally tank I'm in 5/5 relentless & faceroll 5k dps through heroics, it's really too easy >.>

Usually for trash I stick to my pve gear due to my huge pulls

10+ Year Old Account

I've seen DKs tank random groups will full Relentless set and have done awesome and have needed hardly any heals, DK tanks it would work well for because of the retarded amount of defensive cds they can rotate, I use PvP gear for tanking on my druid, but thats a different story

Deleted

if you can get your hands on wrathfull weapons, definetly go for them, rest, go for tanking gear, you'll do your healers a favour.

wrathful shield and any kind of wrathful weapons are nice until you get a heroic 264/77 replacement due to the amount of stamina on them pushing EH ahead in weight over the avoidance from said slots in pve gear (always assuming you're beyond 540 defense which you should at these gear levels anyways)

Well...

It's possible...i've tanked every heroic (with almost no issues) except HoR using only Furious PVP gear...

Squishy....but not crittable at least.

Just bring a good healer, like i did XD XD
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.