Poll: Do you want a pet?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: Hunters - Do you want a pet?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyxaria
    this + need bigger stable -_-
    Pet management will also change. Hunters will now have two types of attainable pets: active pets and stored pets. Hunters will be able to have up to three active pets (perhaps five for Beast Mastery specialized players) and will have the ability to switch among these pets any time they are out of combat, without going to town. They will also be able to have a large number of pets in storage at the stables. In order to swap a pet from active to passive, a hunter will still need to visit their local Stable Master. However, this should afford ample storage for the many Spirit Beasts wandering the lands of Azeroth

[Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

There is already a solution for this in-game. The spell is called Dismiss Pet

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Daginni
    So, I noticed that some Hunters don't like their pets and actually would prefer to have pets removed. I wanted to get a estimate of how many. Also, provide a reason of why you do or don't like pets.

I voted Yes. I like pets, they are the most unique and customizable part of the Hunter class, even if the AI is a little backwards at times. I think hunters who don't like Pets should just reroll, because they made a Hunter for the wrong reasons. But that's my opinion, everyone has their own.
    the problem is there is no other ranged class(no magical) so for those people that want to use bows and guns but dont like pets well they are SOL

Personally, I used to laugh at hunters who thought pets were a burden. I do think they need a re-work to be more than stick on boss and monitor furious howl CD, however I do think that it would be interesting if they made survival or marks more of a ranger type class from other mmo's that isn't reliant on a pet, but I can't see blizzard doing it anytime soon.

For me I want and have been wanting to be a purely Ranger class. Like Sylvanas before undeath.
    "We do not offer freedom of speech on our forums."

10+ Year Old Account

Hunters without pets would be a bit weird indeed. If I remember correctly a hunter without a pet would sooner be classified as a Ranger instead.

Voted yes for the sake of the poll.

Raid oriented pets would be nice.

Pets with special abilities to help them survive AoE and big nukes better.

Certain encounters are simply pet killers though, almost no way around it. Then the healers get all pissed off because the hunters constantly QQ about their pets never getting healed. Been there done that!

i love my pet.
    If anything, make it so that MM gets a dps boost if their pet is dismissed. BM would be the Beastmaster spec (duur), MM would be like the Rangers from lore (Vereesa and such), and SV would be a lil of both with some other lil perks (trap bonuses, wyvern sting, ect)

the biggest frustrations i get from having a pet are:

1) my pet is an intended part of my balanced dps (without a pet i do not so ad much damage as other classes, its built in that i should get damage from my pet)....yet my pet never receives % damage buffs from raid mechanics so a portion of my damage in not buffed.

2) pets are cumbersome and do not offer many strategical advantages and as marks there dps is almost unnoticeable,...in fact on more complicated fight like LK where your pet is in constant danger of being killed i normally just keep him running around behind me to give me the 2% damage from talents and the occasional growl or howl that give me a little bit of ap.

3) it is impossible to get a pet to stay at ranged and cast as far as i can tell (some players report that it can be achieved with certain chimeras) but no matter how many of hit physical attack skills i turn off my wind serpent will not stay at ranged and just cast lightening bolt....broken? or working as intended (retarded)? you decide because bliss wont address it.

4) again pets do not scale with % buffs applied to the hunter even tho the pet is an intended part of a hunters dps in order to bring them up to par with other classes. IE: trick, hysteria, anything else that does not give you a stat increase.

but in the end i would feel naked with out one and when it comes to lvling they are more valuable than your bow.

well, i love having a pet, that is part of the hunter class, every game i played i always rolled a ranger style class so i got 2 in 1 in wow :P, the only thing i wish for is if we could get some caster style pets, like for eg wind serpents not using bite etc but only the lighting attack, they woudl also stay at range and would have "caster" stats and maybe mana or something. just an idea [yes i know my punctuation sucks hehe :P]

-mati

You don't want a pet roll a mage/ele sham/spriest/etc. for ranged. If you can't handle the pet mechanic, hunters are not for you. The main reason I rolled a hunter is because of the pet, I for one would be pretty pissed if they took them away. >.< But considering in cata little hunters will get a pet at level 1, I don't think blizzard is really considering making hunters a non pet class anyway.

Sig and Avi by Isilrien <3 Priest~Hunter~Druid~Paladin

Deleted

i laugh at hunters who dont use pets on bosses (except non-pet friendly fights) hf gimping ur own dps :
    plus it's fun to manage pet while you dps/evade fires etc

Deleted

I love my pets it's mainly what made me play a hunter plus the crabs are just so cool 8) I hate when I'n pvp and someone kills my pet, a little bit of dies inside when this happens

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

I love my Gigi pet and wouldnt want to be a hunter without it. Hunters want pets

/thread (always wanted to do that )
    "We are not tools of the goverment or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing I was good at, but at least I fought for what I believed in." -Gray Fox-

Quote Originally Posted by Om1
    the hunter's utility and playstyle is largely based around the use of a pet and was made to be that way, but I'm not going to cry if I see a MM spec that can remove the pet in exchange for some damage buff. I would sure use it.
    (bolded for emphasis)

And therein lies the problem. If they provided 1 of the trees (most likely marksman) with the option to ditch the pet in exchange for an equivalent damage buff, it would be the ONLY raid spec. Why would anyone continue to use a pet when they could do the same damage but without having to worry about keeping the pet alive. Implementing such a change would effectively kill any potential the other 2 trees had for raiding. The only option would then become to balance such that MM was ever so slightly lower dps than either of the others, to provide incentive to still use the others, which of course would mean everyone bitching and complaining about how MM was "broken" and such...

Quote Originally Posted by Shiggity
    Raid oriented pets would be nice.

Pets with special abilities to help them survive AoE and big nukes better.

Certain encounters are simply pet killers though, almost no way around it. Then the healers get all pissed off because the hunters constantly QQ about their pets never getting healed. Been there done that!
    Um... What about the 90% aoe damage reduction that all pets inherently have now? And the new cower is built PRECISELY to help pets survive big nukes. As far as certain fights being hard on pets, yes, this is very true. However, it IS possible to keep pets alive on EVERY fight, if you manage them properly and know what exactly is killing them so you can avoid it. Oh, and all ferocity pets are raid oriented (plus some bring nice abilities to fill gaps like wasps, tallstriders, and of course, wolves).
    - The Hunter's Creed -
    "This is my pet. There are many others like him, but this one is mine. He is my best friend. He is my life. I must master him as I master my life.
    My pet, without me, is useless. Without my pet, I am useless."

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeRavenholdt
    I would have liked an option similar to BC Destruction Warlock with the sacrifice in Demo for a damage buff.
    You're mean. I mean, look at this from a lore/RP point of view:

1) Demons are evil incarnate
    2) The Warlock enslaves his or her demon to harness their powers. The Warlock is either evil themselves, or trying to harness an evil power to fight against it's very nature and do good.
    3) The demon are not really "killed" on this plane of existence anyway, they simply have their physical forms destroyed.

1) Pets are a Hunter's companion and friend. They used to even have mechanic where pets gained and lost "loyalty levels" depending on how the Hunter treated them.
    2) The hunter "tames" his or her pet, setting up a symbiotic relationship where both should benefit.
    3) Hunter pets "die" and must be resurrected. They make their displeasure clear by losing happiness (or course they're really easy to bribe).

Sacrifice makes sense from a Warlock point of view. The Warlock has no care for his demons, they are tools to be used. If hurting one creates another tool, so be it. Hunter are supposed to respect and work with their pets. Blowing it up every few minutes for a buff isn't likely to create a state of loyalty or respect.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the hearts of every man, woman and child

Instead of taming you should be able to weaken beasts a bit and then use a pokeball to capture your pets.
    Then you carry around 6 different pets and can use which ever one is right for the occasion

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by CyborgOctopus
    Instead of taming you should be able to weaken beasts a bit and then use a pokeball to capture your pets.
    Then you carry around 6 different pets and can use which ever one is right for the occasion
    And if your pet dies in combat, just break out the next one!

Unless I'm BM, I hate my pet, just an AP/web bot

I'd rather have a web shot so I don't have to use my spider in PvP

Because I swear, my spider is made out of wet toilet paper

Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom
    No. After the Cataclysm there will be an expansion for the zerg, and then an expansion for the protoss.

I like the whole 'ranger' idea. Imo there should be a spec that focuses on pets (BM) a spec that focuses on the pet and the hunter (survival) and a ranger spec that gives you benefits for not having your pet out (marksmanship)