Lich King and Teleport Use

Hi! Just had a quick question as I am researching the Lich King fight and have watched quite a few in warlock's pov and I see they did not use the teleport on the edge mechanic (I watched 3-4).

Is this still being used?

I mean, I was looking and seen how movement intensive this fight is. Would you not have to run out to the edge to replace your teleport every time you moved? Am I overlooking something? What's the best way to use the teleport? Is it worth the trouble with the 10% buff ? Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Lich King and Teleport Use

I'll admit about half your post didn't make sense to me but, if it saves your guild some dps time then yes, its something you should do.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

What part didn't make sense?

I watched videos in a warlocks pov, none of them used the teleport on the edge mechanic
    Since the buff to dps, are warlocks no longer using this mechanic?

If warlocks are still using this mechanic, how do you use it? Do you have to run out to the edge of the platform every time you move (for example defile) .

I thought it was pretty clear.

And I am not sure if it saves us dps time because I am raiding with a new guild this weekend and they have only had a few attempts on him.

Editing entire post due to my english going to hell

The main reasons I have seen behind the warlock teleport is that it's a really fast way to get defile away from the group, and it's a way to cheat the val'kyr if they pick a warlock to drop off the edge. Soon after she let's go of you, you hit the ability to port to your spot (I don't have a warlock so not familiar with names). This saves DPS drop switching to the val'kyr to kill them and focus on the LK. Hope that made sense.

Yes you are still able to use teleport when picked up and dropped by the valk'yr. If you get defile, strafe to the side, and stand near it. You'll still be in range of your teleport if the valk picks you again before next defile is cast. Even if your guild doesn't struggle for dps on The Lich King or valk'yr's, it would be stupid not to use it, any extra dps is always good dps.
    Azrax, Level 85 Gnome Rogue
    Kárnivool, Level 85 Human Priest
    <Ka Pai> - New Zealand based 25 man, 3 day raiding guild. We strive to provide an attractive, enjoyable, and constructive raid environment. Currently 4/8 Heroic Dragon Soul.

---- Currently Retired from Early Dragon Soul Progression, will be back for Mists!! ----

10+ Year Old Account

On our latest kill 2 nights ago we had a warlock standing on the edge of the platform, he got picked by 2 valkyrs and 1 defile in p2, leading to much better DPS uptime to the point where we only had 3 valkyr spawns. All he did was stand at the edge the ENTIRE time and therefore only had to spend about 3-4 seconds in the valkyr before it attempted to drop him, and he teleported.

TLR, yes, teleporting warlocks are good.

EDIT: This was also 25 man.

you shouldnt replace your portal at all after you place it once (unless some1 gets defile all over it) and the boss should be tanked in the middle most of the time (near middle)

Great responses, thanks so much!

Radio- I always use my teleport, I was just wondering if warlocks were still using this mechanic since the buffs, or no.

Thanks again ya'll!

You SHOULD use your teleport, as much as possible, it's not exploit of any kind and does no harm, it only saves dps time for your raid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Srsly just do it, it saves the raid dps time and technically it also gives you +600k damage on damage done since saved the raid from doing it

Portal saves way more DPS than people realize on LK. It isn't just the Val'kyrs health, but also any movement involved. You're talking about losing 10 seconds of your DPS time in return for a minimum of 600k damage. So, unless you're doing well over 60k DPS, use your portal. Just remember that you don't need your portal at the edge. It can be about 3/4ths of the way from the edge to the big circle and still be in range to teleport.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    Just remember that you don't need your portal at the edge. It can be about 3/4ths of the way from the edge to the big circle and still be in range to teleport.
    I have several repair bills that disagree with this statement. Within 5 yards of the edge is what I do, and make sure the valkyr carry you towards your circle, and not slightly to either side. That can make or break the range.

R.I.P. YARG

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    I have several repair bills that disagree with this statement. Within 5 yards of the edge is what I do, and make sure the valkyr carry you towards your circle, and not slightly to either side. That can make or break the range.
    Set it right at the edge and stand on it to ensure you're carried away from it in it's direction. Re-set it fresh in place when you get the pools of crap on it to make sure you keep getting carried from it.

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    I have several kills that strongly agree with it. The portal range is 40 yards. They drop you roughly 15 yards off the edge. You can safely set your portal 20 yards in from the edge. If you want to play it safe and get a feel for placement yourself then do this: Before the pull set a portal on the very edge of the collapsible outer platform, then move towards the center until you're at max range of the portal. You can set your portal anywhere around the circle at that distance and be able to teleport safely. You can set your portal much, much further in than a lot of Warlocks realize, which is what prompts them to set it near the edge, which then results in lots of unneeded movement and DPS lost. You should have your portal as close to the center as is safe. Never on the edge.

Yes, use it.

Thanks so much for all the great answers!

Seems u got some nice answers but related to ur dps loss: IS NOT a dps loss! Locks have a sweet job in ph 3 when spirits spawns! U basically have to spam soc there so yea... u'r utility as a lock in LK fight is high! I know we don't have many friendly fights in icc but blizz managed to gif us yet another end game boss where locks are wanted(illidan was the same).
    So long story short: Use ur teleport when valkyries come, spam soc in ph 3, enjoy the loots(if ur guild have problems with u spaming soc in that fight they are retarded-found this problem in some guilds).

Note: Even if soc is doing a good job in ph1 also i preffer to not use it. Cleave and melee aoe in general plus 1 demo lock(i am destro) is more than enough there so no point in wasting single target dps.

Have a nice day, sir!

15+ Year Old Account

Wait... You dps adds in P1?

2nd tank with the vykrul can pick up all of the little guys and bounce around the plague, one shotting most of them and easily killing the vykruls.

I think I've casted seed... 3 times total in P1, and I've done LK a few dozen times (not all were kills obviously)

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by Yume
    So long story short: Use ur teleport when valkyries come, spam soc in ph 3, enjoy the loots(if ur guild have problems with u spaming soc in that fight they are retarded-found this problem in some guilds).
    Many guilds do not kill the spirits in P3 at all, so you're just wasting your time with Seed. My guild for instance does not DPS Spirits, we did it once for the achievement, but since it's no longer part of the Meta, I doubt we'll do it again. Move our raid back and forth and stack up so that all the spirits go to one spot. We then have a Mage, or Paladin blow them all up at once while in Ice Block/Divine Shield. So it's quite likely that they were upset with the SoC usage because you did not understand their strategy for the fight.