What is wow's current subscriber population?

Last time we had anything official it was about 12 million players. But from what I see around me on the live servers that can clearly no longer be the case. What do you guys think the current subscription population actually is or is there even a way using wowcensus etc to find out?

Re: What is wow's current subscriber population?

Quote Originally Posted by protohamster
    Last time we had anything official it was about 12 million players. But from what I see around me on the live servers that can clearly no longer be the case. What do you guys think the current subscription population actually is or is there even a way using wowcensus etc to find out?

No clue. Only blizzard knows.

Wowcensus also doesn't work, because last i checked, it showed only 7 people were on my realm.
    Quote Originally Posted by fizikz View Post
    TOXOPLASMA PARASITES ARE RUINING THE GAME!!!!!!
    Blizz needs to stop nerfing the game based on people wiith toxoplasma parasites!!!

Last time I heard it was 11 million players,dont think anything official as been announced though.

WoWcensus is highly inaccurate. Blizz's last quarterly statement said they were still hovering above 11 million. Lying on that statement is a federal offense, so I'm gonna go with that.

From: Activision/Blizzard's 2009 4th Quater Financial Report
    As of December 31, 2009, World of Warcraft had approximately 11.5 million active subscribers.
    That's the newest figure to date.

Here's the link for the Financial report:
    http://investor.activision.com/secfi...047469-10-1649

so that means like someone in your town, somewhere is probably playing wow just like you? and also i was really expecting its an over 9000 post in this thread soo...

Quote Originally Posted by Candlemaster
    so that means like someone in your town, somewhere is probably playing wow just like you?
    Depends where you live. ^^

Almost everyone I know has played WoW at one time or another.

Deleted

I ofcourse don't know but I think the number has gone down quite a bit and also new subscribers arent coming (Blizz certainly tracks that), so they dont show off with the numbers. On the other hand they have no real competition anyway... Especially now when the sun comes out more often people will play less and less, maybe cancel until the end of summer or until cata, I see the trend a lot.

Dunno what you are all talking about, it seems to me more people are playing wow then ever.

I'd say it is probably not any better than 11.5, either similar or worse since we haven't heard anything since last year implies either nothing to talk about or nothing good to talk about.

and as the post above me says it goes up and down with the seasons and with expansions so that has probably made the population go down, and the situation with china probably hasnt helped either.

The 11 million figure has been consistent since before Wrath of the Lich King's release.
    Here's a press release from Blizzard's site.
    http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...es.html?081028
    Unlike the release of The Burning Crusade, there was no spike in the amount of active subscriptions.
    The good news is that with Cataclysm in the near future, bringing with it an overhaul of the traditional zones and a portion of the 1 - 60 leveling process, the subscriber base will most likely surpass the 11 million hump.

Quote Originally Posted by seigata
    I'd say it is probably not any better than 11.5, either similar or worse since we haven't heard anything since last year implies either nothing to talk about or nothing good to talk about.

and as the post above me says it goes up and down with the seasons and with expansions so that has probably made the population go down, and the situation with china probably hasnt helped either.
    China was fixed awhile ago. Like a few months back.

Quote Originally Posted by sdshine37
    The 11 million figure has been consistent since before Wrath of the Lich King's release.
    Here's a press release from Blizzard's site.
    http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...es.html?081028
    Unlike the release of The Burning Crusade, there was no spike in the amount of active subscriptions.
    The good news is that with Cataclysm in the near future, bringing with it an overhaul of the traditional zones and a portion of the 1 - 60 leveling process, the subscriber base will most likely surpass the 11 million hump.
    It's already been shown earlier in this thread that they have 11.5 million
    Blizz needs to stop nerfing the game based on people wiith toxoplasma parasites!!!

@ pomop
    I gave the link showing the 11.5 million figure from their Financial report in my first post. My second post was to mention how WotLK has not increased the player base, but Cataclysm has the potential to increase the amount of active accounts. My intention was to expand upon my previous post, not to repeat myself. I apologize if I didn't make myself clear.

Quote Originally Posted by sdshine37
    @ pomop
    I gave the link showing the 11.5 million figure from their Financial report in my first post. My second post was to mention how WotLK has not increased the player base, but Cataclysm has the potential to increase the amount of active accounts. My intention was to expand upon my previous post, not to repeat myself. I apologize if I didn't make myself clear.
    Ah alright, i didn;t know it was you who posted the census. XD

And yes kittyclasm (Oh yeah i went there) has the potential to increase playerbase, as with all expansions. I for one will be going back for kittyclasm, as will my brother and hopefully my friends.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Candlemaster
    so that means like someone in your town, somewhere is probably playing wow just like you? and also i was really expecting its an over 9000 post in this thread soo...

ITS OVER 9000
    "Either you're a noob or a pro. That's life."