Armor vs Stamina

Question is simple. At wich point does armor become more valuable then stamina?
    I've been stumbling upon some effective health calculators and played abit with the stamina/armor values to see wich gives more. At the end i came up with something around 1 stamina=10 armor but that doesn't take into account the 15% buff and beyond icc is providing. Been seeing some dk's with some insane 43k armor and 43k hp ub and some others with 50k hp and 30ish k armor.But in terms of effective health wich one is better in term of stat priority?
    This is my armory in case anyone is interested : http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...ronos&cn=Hatta and the reason i ask this is because there are some items with buffed armor in detriment of stamina and vice versa. I would also like to know if there is some ratio regarding the other stats: dodge/parry/defense to balance my gear around.
    Yo dawg i see you like trollin'. So we put trolls in your trolling posts so you can troll while you're getting troll'd with.

Re: Armor vs Stamina

i know this is not the answer you are looking for, however there is a mod which can calculate your effective health on the fly.
    download tanktotals from curse or something. it can monitor your effective health on the fly and changes according to fight (you can save your last wipe info as EH2 breaking down the damage into spell types etc)

it's more difficult to answer than just 1 stam = 10 armor, due to imba moves which ignore armor. For such moves, stam is definately better in that it will ensure you survive the hit. sometimes def is better, sometimes it does nothing. if you're a min/maxer have 2 sets which you can swap out depending on the boss.

i believe the armor cap (if you can call it that) for a lvl83 boss mob is 49,905 armor, however getting that high would require some serious stam gimping. not my ideal setup.

if you have multiple pieces, try them on and see the changes with tanktotals. You can do as i do and swap out a few pieces depending on the fight.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account

as armor vs stamina is a matter of effective health, grab your calculator and find out whats best yourself.

15+ Year Old Account

You asked the wrong question.
    It's not Armor vs Stamina, it's stamina and armor.
    They both are the two major contributors to Effective Health, and due to armor's scaling it's very hard to determine the exact worth of a point stamina in relation to armor.
    Fact is that every point armor increases the value of every point stamina, depending on your current armor.

I do think that the 1:10 ratio you posted is the general rule of thumb, but it's nowhere as exact as it could be. But to determine the exact value you'd have to have some good math skills, and be willing to use those on comparing two pieces of gear.

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...-health-theory

While this article is from BC, it's basic info is still correct, and if you're willing to read into it, it can provide some deeper insight for you

10+ Year Old Account

Get items with alot of armor (aka the ones with green numbers ), and gem stamina all the way. (with an exception to one purple combogem with agi(armor)+stam for yer meta)

15+ Year Old Account

If your name is not written in pink or orange, you shouldn't gem for agi. Ever.
    gemming for agi simply offers way less survival than straight dodge rating, and waaaaaaay less threat than straight expertise.

Thank you for the feedback. As for the person asking me to link a person with 42k armor unbuffed i believe i exagerated abit since armory doesn't show the extra 60% frost presence does and since that 60% doesnt account for extra armor on rings/cloak/trinket etc.As for a example http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...nd&cn=Stylooke to wich if you add 60% armor goes to around 35.5-36k armor a. Adding to that a putricide hc 10 trinket makes it 38k-ish wich is not 42 i admit .

As for the Eh thing i am using http://tankingtips.com/effective-health-calculator at the moment wich seems pretty accurate. But it doesn't take into account the 15% extra health icc is giving.
    Yo dawg i see you like trollin'. So we put trolls in your trolling posts so you can troll while you're getting troll'd with.

i believe the armor cap (if you can call it that) for a lvl83 boss mob is 49,905 armor, however getting that high would require some serious stam gimping. not my ideal setup.
    You may call it that, since that is the cap for the highest level content currently in the game. Also, getting that high is not hard with Unbreakable Armor, even unglyphed. I go in excess of 50k+ when popping UBA raid buffed, minus glyph.

As for the person asking me to link a person with 42k armor unbuffed i believe i exagerated abit since armory doesn't show the extra 60% frost presence does and since that 60% doesnt account for extra armor on rings/cloak/trinket etc.As for a example http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...nd&cn=Stylooke to wich if you add 60% armor goes to around 35.5-36k armor a. Adding to that a putricide hc 10 trinket makes it 38k-ish wich is not 42 i admit .
    Psh.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...moon&cn=Vodamn

Currently in blood with GSlol items on for Flame Leviathan farming, but I usually wear Unidentifable Organ (instead of Corpse Coin) and when I'm in Frost I use H Ardent Guard in the offhand, plus agility from mainhand DPS weapon. I sit at just about 39k armor self-buffed with Horn of Winter. Raid buffed, well over 40k.

Also, I don't sacrifice much stamina at all, if any. Most bonus armor gear comes with proper amounts of stam on it. In most cases the bonus armor is itemized from parry, dodge, etc and not stam.

But considering I have pretty much the highest armor you can get in game (minus 277 neck and ring, heroic Organ), a 43k unbuffed armor DK would have to have BiS everything, with double armor trinkets, and probably some agility gemming and an agility weapon. Even then I'd have to see it to believe it.

Edit : I should also be wearing heroic ring from Twin Valkyrs for another 500+ish armor instead of the Ashen Verdict ring.

Effective health is the sum (more math to it) of you Health plus resistance/damage reduction.

If you look at a total melee boss, you would calculate EH as being Stam + Armor.
    If you look at a boss that does only magical damage EH would be Stam + Resistance.

Tanks should ALWAYS have multiple sets of armor. It has been that way since Vanillia. Armor gear, Avoidance Gear (not so much in Wotlk), Threat Gear, Resistance Gear (Frost in WotlK / TBC, Shadow in TBC).

Thats why say on Sindragosa, you can take 10 stacks of the debuff and still only take a 20k hit, rather then a 100k hit. So on Sindragosa you want to gear for EH (Stam + Armor + Frost Res). The key is to be smart about gearing.

The way to figure out EH is:
    D= Raw Damage
    M= Mitigation (physical or spell)
    d= damage taken

Formula:
    d = D*(1-M)

More Information

Just remember that EH is not just for Physical damage, but for ALL Damage sources. The math just changes for each damage source.

Physical Damage mitigated by armor
    Physical Bleed NOT mitigated by armor
    Magical Damage mitigated by resistance
    I don't heal STUPID, Stupid SHOULD HURT!
    Syntyche - Disc Priest