Need prot PvP spec advice

hello, i am a lvling prot pvper. stoped playing my toon pre-bc and am starting up agen. im wondering what spec is the best for prot pvp.

i have gone 9/12 icc 25 ( quit raiding about 4 monthes ago due to officer problems and a lack of progression ) so as of now i have no way to get pve arp items ( if their are any i can get with minimal pve ( heroics - badges ) let me know ) ). this means almost all of my gear is going to be from pvp.

i plan to do arenas for points since its this far into the expantion, so relentless is about as high as i will go this season.

now im looking for a spec. i see 3 spec atm on AJ and inspecting high rated pvpers and it seems to be 33/33/33 splitt as to how popular they are.

here are the specs...

spec #1 - deep wounds - http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warr...acQIDd4,,11723

spec #2 - impale only - http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warr...aAHt0wo,,11723

spec #3 - furry enrage - http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warr...60qEOdj,,11723

im wondering what spec would give the best mix of survivability controll and damage.

thanks in advance

vickthor

Re: Need prot PvP spec advice

I used to play prot at the beginning of our current arena season. It is VERY VERY fun. Both spec 1 and 2 are the better options in my opinion. You're basically only replacing deep wounds with 3 extra talents on cruelty anyway. So each is viable. The only changes I've seen work well is to take the 2 talent points out of imp charge and put them into tactical mastery. Since a good prot pvp warrior does not always stay in defensive stance, this is a very nice addition and you will rarely notice the rage difference without those talents.

The key to prot is to not wear defensive gear. You would basically wear the same gear as arms, so yes getting the most arp you can is your goal. Get yourself a good 2.6 speed 1h dps weapon with berzerking, that's probably the most noticeable difference I saw when gearing up. Also get a good warbringer macro and use it in each stance, no stance dance and staying on a kiting class's ass can be quite the downer for them. I went from getting ridiculously kited by mages to stomping their faces in once I went prot. Good opener on any class is charge/int conq blow combo. Conq blow doesn't share diminishing returns with any of our stuns from charge or intercept, so you will get maximum stun duration. Watch the rogues cry when you out stunlock them while wearing plate and a shield. Good luck bro.

Edit: Oh on a side note, those spec's are more designed around bg's and not arena's. Not to say they won't work in arena, but there are a few changes you'll want to make. The two that come to mind are at least 1 point into improved spell reflect and safeguard. That way if your partner is near you, when you spell reflect it also puts reflect on them too. Really helps out mitigating damage. Safeguard is a valuable talent. Not only using intervene to gain mobility but to assist in a burst attempt on a partner can break the game for the opponents. Intervene still does it's normal duty, taking the next hit they normally would have taken, but reduce all incoming damage by 30% for 6 seconds is HUGE.

i can see what your saying and i agree fully. i think im going to pick up deep wounds since i did the math on it and the damage may not seem much ( per tick ) but with how often prot crits ( everything but revenge is at 50% due to tallents ) it stacks up EXTREAMLY FAST.

i tryed out furry the healing is nice but at my lvl 166 per second wont save me from death so i think the extra damage is were im going to go.

thanks for the advice

and as for the arena thing im not doing arenas agen untill cata since im starting so far behind without a partner.

ill just do bgs now gear up for pvp gear lvling in cata ( so much fun ganking the pve geared players as they lvl ) and hit arena up when i can find a good solid partner agen.

ttyl

vickthor

edit - let me know what you think of this spec - moved 2 points from imp sunder and put them in imp spell reflect.

I would stay away from swapping those two talent points. Since sunder armor is a lot more valuable for a arp stacking warrior saving that rage will add up. Devastate is a lot harder hitting than most people think, so using it as an attack often happens. The only real value received from spell reflect comes from the 4% chance to be missed, but honestly, I prefer to be hit by the spell so it does reflect. More damage back on the attacker rather than just a missed spell. You will find what you like more tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag
    Haven't seen any prot pvp warriors since 3.3 hit. I'm guessing it's screwed but w/e rocks your boat...
    I see this type of thread about once a week. And my answer is always the same. Prot is still viable as long as you run with a ms, preferably a hunter. This setup still demands tons from the prot warrior, possibly more than is demanded from any other class in a cleave. Still not sure if prot is still good? http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...eras&cn=Xanadu Should give you an idea.