Poll: did you get hacked in wow or any other mmo in past 5 years and when?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Wow accounts hacked poll!

Quote Originally Posted by Flabb
    No WoW accounts have ever been hacked.
    This is exactly it.

"Hacking (English verb to hack, singular noun a hack) refers to the re-configuring or re-programming of a system to function in ways not facilitated by the owner, administrator, or designer."

No Account has ever been hacked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    "The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are real." ~Abraham Lincoln

If you get your wow acount "hacked" you should probably stop trying to get your "special beta blizzard mount".

15+ Year Old Account

Never been hacked.
    ALTF4.

Never been "hacked". I dare anyone to try "hack" into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    So there was another person that had your account information.
    Are you quite sure, that everything is right in your head? How can you take that out of context and dismiss everything I say? We're not talking about giving out account information to people left and right, we're talking about someone I'm married to, who's computer security I manage myself and who I knows for a fact is nowhere dumb enough to ever pass that on.

Quote Originally Posted by chaztheweird
    "Hacking (English verb to hack, singular noun a hack) refers to the re-configuring or re-programming of a system to function in ways not facilitated by the owner, administrator, or designer."

No Account has ever been hacked.
    Blizzards servers gets hacked every day. All the assholes teleporting around underneath the world, farming herbs and mining nodes have most deffinately re-programmed their WoW client to function against Blizzards intended use.

Shitbags have been using these teleport hacks ever since WoW launched, I remember seing videos of hackers teleporting around Dire Maul, farming the king of the north wing and getting the full tribute chest.

There we people exploiting teleport hacks to bring eggs from Feralas to the egg machine in Gadgetzan in order to gain massive experience in unreaslisticly short periods of time. Blizzards response to this was merely to remove the experience from completion of said quest.

That is how helpless Blizzard really is against all the idiots that force their malicious ways on the rest of us.

It wouldn't surprise me, if they could gain unwarrented access to peoples accounts either.

come on people, vote please, this is a big help for me and i believe for other people who are doing statistics based on mmo security, it will not be 100% accurate but it will help a lot

so please vote !

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic
    I've never been hacked, but I am in a large guild that accepts social members as well as serious raiders, we have around 250 people and I would say every month someone manages to get hacked in the guild. In the last 3 months I know of 4-5 people in the guild that have been hacked. In all cases they retrieved their account quickly and had reimbursement of lost items within 24 hours, so a mild inconvenience. None of them were using authenticators.

I also know of two people in the last 6 months who managed to get their credit card details logged somehow and had to claim back for fraudulent transactions on it - it's certainly not just games that fall fowl of keyloggers.

I would think the rate is increasing, in part perhaps due to the fact that a lot of people now have access to the internet who dont know about computer security, safe links or scam emails, and in part due to the fact that it's such a lucrative business these days meaning there are a lot more internet-fraudsters, viruses and keyloggers out there.

Hacking does seem to be a serious problem but my husband and I have played for 3 years and never been hacked although in the guild we frequently see people moaning about it!

What do you need numbers for anyway?
    I need it for a research in internet security , to be more accurate, security in mmo games

gogo vote

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Lindvahn
    Well, I run MSSE on both my laptop and my desktop, scanning my computer weekly for security threats and the only other person that had my account information was my wife who, even though we both used each others accounts each day, DIDN'T have her account compromised.

So it seems to me, that if it was either of my computers being compromised, her account should have been emptied out as well. Explain that, please?
    A hacking would actually require someone to specifically target you, and people just don't bother to do that. (Except for the ones who target people with authenticators.)

You probably just got a phishing email and put your info in it.

Why can't we just admit it? We won't stop until the blood is flowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakeshi
    This. Show me ONE account that has been hacked, and not keylogged by some stupid kid not using antivirus programs.
    My older brother. He is a computer technician and used antivirus/spyware programs on his computers. He never visited any sites other than worldofwarcraft.com. Yet he was still hacked into. Worst part is, they hacked into his account when he was in the hospital getting emergency lung surgery. Talk about a slap in the face.

10+ Year Old Account

No accounts ever hacked (Norton 360 Premier Edition, Ad-Aware, SpyBot Search & Destroy, Spyware Blaster, Google Chrome)

This. Show me ONE account that has been hacked, and not keylogged by some stupid kid not using antivirus programs.
    Yeah, lets argue over the semantics of "hacked". That's always super useful. Just read it as "Has an unauthorized party ever gained access to your account?"

Deleted

This is getting older than the Gearscore discussions and "Players vs. Complainers" threads together.
    I'll bold it, just for you:

We all know it's not technically getting your account hacked when you for whatever reason have it compromised, usually due to a security problem on your side. It's a common well known fact among basically everyone in the community that "getting hacked" is internet slang for "having an account stolen". Are we done now?

Quote Originally Posted by Calon
    No accounts ever hacked (Norton 360 Premier Edition, Ad-Aware, SpyBot Search & Destroy, Spyware Blaster, Google Chrome)
    Wait, you can play games on a computer with RAMhog 360 installed?
    I thought their whole idea of protection was to use so much memory on animations and shiny objects that you can't use the computer meanwhile.

I'm sorry but antivirus programs are not going to guarantee any level of protection. It like saying I drive a BMW and therefore I can crash my car as much as I want without fear of dieing. While yes a well built car with advanced safety technology can indeed increase your chances of surviving said crash you should still steer clear of telephone poles. This might be a bad analogy but this doesn't change the fact that you should not be downloading things your not 100% sure of.
    I run nothing, (anti virus/spyware) and have never been key logged.

Quote Originally Posted by Odexy
    A hacking would actually require someone to specifically target you, and people just don't bother to do that. (Except for the ones who target people with authenticators.)

You probably just got a phishing email and put your info in it.
    Ah, behold the borderline logic of stupid people...

Of course, my account information might have gotten lost, when I got a tell from a GM called <Bliizardd>, who informed me that my account would be deleted in 3 days, but he could restore it all for me, if only I sent him the details on my account plus my password.

This guy might be interested in informative replies, so why not keep your 2cp to yourself unless you have something contructive to say?

edit: oh and in before people telling me that my english is bad, its not my mothertongue (french canadian ftw ) so..my apologies.
    Got hacked yesterday.........No email from any source, no addon, ran malaware bytes ad-aware avast, avg, spybot, spydoctor .....NOTHING FOUND

I use noscript+addblock when browsing the web, firewall on, all port on the router are closed except the one needed for wow.

My GF is using the sme computer as I do she was not hacked.

may 18 I logged off at 23:29 EST, last night around 20:11 EST when I tried to get online I got the nice authenticator pop-up, since all my anti-virus already scanned my computer in the morning (scan start auto at 5:00 am EST).

I got lucky a guildy, saw me starting to DE and getting naked, he then sent in a ticket to blizzard so they locked my account (in about 6 min of the password change done by the thief).

Again I did not received any scam/phishing mail (actually nothing related to WoW or blizzard), The only website I browse related to wow are MMO-CHAMPION and WOW.COM, a local webradio website , and local news website nothing groundbreaking here and still managed to get my accoutn hacked (for the first time)

Now the 100 bucks question do i have an authenticator on my acount??? NO

Some people are starting to think its a fear campaign done by blizzard, the others will say they are crazy and blizzard as a big company would never do this.....yeah right and oil company exploiting oil platform , refinery and all this stuff are not usign crazy way to buy patent to prevent technology of going to fast to do every little bit of profit they can, the biger you get the greedier you are.... same with game company.

They would not hack everyone's account but just a small portion of those account (1-5% max) just so the other fear the shit they are doing and so people will then buy authenticator, maybe they are doing for profit or maybe by doing this they are just trying to protect us and the others, kill one to save a million is maybe their belief (its not a wrong way but they cant admit this because it would be marketing suicide).

So we will never knwo the real truth, maybe some will even think I am lying other will trust me(afterwall I could just say bullshit but I see no point in it) But if blizzard is really hacking accoutn I am sure its the kill 1 save a million philosophy they are using right now.

Anyway got to talk with a blizzard rep fast enough last nite they removed the fraudulent authenticators from my account and are processing to a full account restore as we talk so I cannot really complain they are doing a darn good job.

And if there is really something wrong with my computer I will know fast enough because after all my scans that told me nothign was wrong I logged back in to thanks my guildy and all the stuff that goes on.

And please dont tell me stupid shit like ''you surely gave your info following to an email or followed an email in a scam'' no I didn't even my grandmother know how to protect her self(Hi Grand'pa lol)

edit: I know I only have 7 post but I am a long time reader but I do not post often.

Hacked once..

And that was back in 06..

I got hacked both in 2010 and 2007

all of my RAF accounts have gotten hacked (not connected to my battle.net) by gold farmers and i dont know how it happened =/
    Quote Originally Posted by Lascer
    I don't always drink tears, but when i do, i prefer undead's.

Stay feared my friends.