Tank loot in 10man vs. 25 man raids

I was thinking about the 10man vs. 25man raiding/raid loot for Cata and had a thought about tanking..

10mans use 2 main tanks
    25mans use 2 main tanks and 1 OS tank

If this setup continues in Cata for raiding, wouldn't it be more beneficial for tanks to do 25man content instead of 10man?

If 10man bosses dropped 2 items and 25man bosses dropped 4 items, the 2 mains tanks would have twice the chance to get
    loot in 25man. They wouldn't be fighting with twice as many people between 10/25man raiding like dps and healers would have to.

Re: Tank loot in 10man vs. 25 man raids

They said 25 man was going to drop more loot than 10 man. If they want to be correct and drop relative to the actual size of the raid, 25man bosses need to drop at least 6 items if 10 man drops 2.

2 items for 10 people = 5 items for 25 people, namely 1 for every 5 players. Hence for 25 man to drop more than 10 man it needs to be at least 6 items.

Quote Originally Posted by rohendar
    They said 25 man was going to drop more loot than 10 man. If they want to be correct and drop relative to the actual size of the raid, 25man bosses need to drop at least 6 items if 10 man drops 2.

2 items for 10 people = 5 items for 25 people, namely 1 for every 5 players. Hence for 25 man to drop more than 10 man it needs to be at least 6 items.
    I understand that.
    25man raids will drop more loot than 10s but there will be the same amount of tanks in 10s and 25s.

So the 2 raid main tanks would have 2.5 - 3 times the chance to get tanking loot off of a boss running 25man instead of 10man?

I'm wondering if anyone else thinks this i

ok so...

10 man 2 drops

10 x 2.5 = 25

2 x 2.5 = 5

Ok now that we have the basic math out of the way

How would 25 mans need to drops atleast 6 pieces?

unless 2 + 2 = 5

He gets an extra piece cuz he might be a DK?

Thanks to competition for loot bits, depending on class and role, you may actually be better off in 10-mans.

Any class or spec with a restricted, particular gear set (like plate tanks or Holy Paladins) will do better in 25's. Whether you're in 25's or 10's, you're not likely to have more than two or three people wanting these gears, so having more drop is always better.

DPS Clothies? Probably will have less competition in 10's, more than enough to compensate for fewer total drops. 25's will give 3x the drops and 4x the competition.

Feral Druids, if they share gear with cats and Rogues, are better off in 10's.

All this assumes that you randomly assemble your raid from all available classes and specs; YMMV.
    Still waiting on the skillscore addon ...

ANd remember in 25's there is a higher chance of having a leech muppet who will roll on something because it is shiny and for his alledged offspec. Its harder to leech in a 10 player than a 25 player just ask the ninjas

ok, about the whole 10 = 2 25 = 6 thing, the reason they are saying this is blizz has stated that 25 will drop MORE loot PER raider in cata.

so for 10s if its 5 raiders per loot, in 25s it might be 4 raiders per loot. which brings the loot to 2 in 10 man and 6.25(6) in 25 man.

OT: dunno could be interesting to find out, but remember that the majority of people that choose to do 10s and forsake 25s right now do it for social reasons NOT loot. and this is most likely not going to change anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

Deleted

Why are you all going on about the total loot drops?

The OP means that if you have the same amount of tanks in 10s and 25s, it is better for the tanks to do 25s. It is because you would have the same amount of competition for loot, but a much greater chance of it actually dropping.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by vwjetta99
    ok so...

10 man 2 drops

10 x 2.5 = 25

2 x 2.5 = 5

Ok now that we have the basic math out of the way

How would 25 mans need to drops atleast 6 pieces?

unless 2 + 2 = 5
    Duh... Stop flaming others when you have clearly missed a point.

"If they want to be correct and drop relative to the actual size of the raid..." Was an assumption, where the poster assumed that Blizzard meant that there would drop more pieces of loot per player in 25mans compared to 10mans.

Quote Originally Posted by Abb
    Why are you all going on about the total loot drops?

The OP means that if you have the same amount of tanks in 10s and 25s, it is better for the tanks to do 25s. It is because you would have the same amount of competition for loot, but a much greater chance of it actually dropping.
    BINGO!!!!

so i sat here and just read everyone else going off topic trying not to respond to my own thread 40 times correcting everyone.
    all i want to know is if people are thinking the same thing as me and that 25mans would greatly increase loot possibility for tanks.

Who said they drop with the same chance? Like the Rogue/Druid/Mage/Deathknight Token has a 40% chance to make up for the fact that 4 instead of 3 classes share the item, tank loot could be scaled down to answer the low demand.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Same loot relative to size would mean 2 in 10 man and 5 in 25 man. Namely 1 piece of loot for every 5 raiders. Now Blizzard has stated 25 would drop MORE than 10. More than 5 means at least 6 pieces. I thought that was basic math. 6 is more than 5.

As for the statement of OP.

Counting 2 tanks in 10m, and 3 in 25man it would be better to do 25.
    Counting 3 healers in 10m and 6 in 25man it would be better to do 25.
    Counting 5 dps in 10m and 16 in 25man it would be better to do 10.

I think Blizzard is making a mistake with this same itemlevel loot shit for both raid sizes, but that's just me.

Tired of hearing this, since it's wrong. What if sometimes it drops 5 and other times it drops 6? That's more than 5 on average, thus more. Stop assuming drops MUST be a static number. Maybe 5 on some bosses 6 or 7 on others. It's not much of a difference, but it is a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactrot
    Tired of hearing this, since it's wrong. What if sometimes it drops 5 and other times it drops 6? That's more than 5 on average, thus more. Stop assuming drops MUST be a static number. Maybe 5 on some bosses 6 or 7 on others. It's not much of a difference, but it is a difference.
    Who cares how much more than 5, as long as it's more than 5. I'm tired of seeing people say 25man will drop 4 cus 4 > 2. Cus relative to raid size 4 < 2.