10+ Year Old Account

A little question about the Aqir/Qiraji/Nerubians

Right, so I've been reading up about the Aqir and their descendants, in particular anything to do with Old Gods (oh yeah, you gotta love em). What I cant seem to understand however is the chronology of events involved in the invention of the Qiraji.
    Wowwiki states:

The aqir were intelligent insectoids who ruled the lands of the far west. These clever insectoids were greatly expansionistic and incredibly evil. The aqir were obsessed with eradicating all non-insect life from the fields of Kalimdor. The trolls fought them for many thousands of years but never succeeded in winning a true victory over the aqir. Eventually, due to the trolls' persistence, the aqiri kingdom split in half as its citizens fled to separate colonies in the far northern and southern regions of the continent.

It was at that time that the aqiri empire ceased to exist and fell apart into two different city-states called Azjol-Nerub, in the northern wastes, and Ahn'Qiraj, in the southern desert.
    HOWEVER

It also states:
    At the ancient continent of Kalimdor's center was a mysterious lake of incandescent energies, the Well of Eternity. It was the true heart of the world's magic and natural power. From this magical ether the Silithid were born. As the fallen Old God, C'Thun, recognized their appearance, he attempted to sunder the world that it once held in its unmerciful grasp. The Old God created avatars from the silithid in its own image. These avatars were to be known as qiraji. Sapient and with purpose, the qiraji worked feverishly to build a force capable of laying waste to the world that would betray their god, with the silithid as their minions. The great fortress city of Ahn'Qiraj was created in southern Silithus to house their growing armies and prepare for the coming of C'Thun. The qiraji spent the next thousands of years building an army capable of exacting revenge upon the whole of Kalimdor.
    I'm aware not everything in Wowwiki is canon and all, and I dont know all the lore, but I'm confused. So some Aqir went north and some went south, becoming Nerubians and Qiraji respectively. But at what point did C'thun attach himself to the Qiraji? It says the silithid that were from the well were transformed in his image. But does that mean the transformed silithid became Aqir first then split? I have read elsewhere C'thun controlled the Qiraji who in turn controlled the silithid.

So whats the story? Did the Qiraji exist before C'thuns corruption, leaving the Nerubians free of any Old God control, or is there more history/lore/a retcon that I'm missing?
    And if it does mean there was Old God influence before the Aqir empire split, what does that mean for the Nerubians?

Can someone tidy this up for me?
    My Youtube videos. Co op gaming. A work in progress, but check em out, you might get a laugh.

Re: A little question about the Aqir/Qiraji/Nerubians

As far as I know, C'thun's influence only started after the split. But I could be wrong. Also, Old Gods are sneaky buggers, so it's possible that C'thun DID have some influence over the Aqir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".

You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".

I think it's like this, Silithids evolved into Aqir. Aqir got split up due to the trolls, those in the south got corrupted by C'thun and transformed into the Qiraj. Yogg-Saron at the same time corrupted the Northren Aqir into the Nerubians. The main difference is that Yogg-Saron never got full control over the Nerubians.
    I'm an altoholic since 2005.

wheres darkside when you need him. he would know the answer to all of this -_-.
    Tell them that the Lich King is dead...and the World of Warcraft...died with him.

The Aqir were the initial race. They split, some going north to eventually become the Nerubians, and some went south, becoming the Qiraji. This split occurred after warring with the trolls for many generations.

Here's a post I made that explains this more in detail with some speculation on my part:http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-...02/#msg2722502

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Eucep
    Yogg-Saron at the same time corrupted the Northren Aqir into the Nerubians. The main difference is that Yogg-Saron never got full control over the Nerubians.
    Has Yogg ever actually been mentioned as the one who got through to the Nerubians? Iirc it merely says 'forgotten ones'. In WC3 Anub'arak says forgotten one. And I'm pretty sure Killix the Unraveller said it at some point.
    My Youtube videos. Co op gaming. A work in progress, but check em out, you might get a laugh.

From my understanding of the lore, C'thun was only able to corrupt the Silithids after they had founded the southern city of Ahn'Qiraj, after the trolls split the Aqir Empire. Ahn'Qiraj was build down beneath the surface of Azeroth by the Silithids per C'thun's maddening whispers until they were deep enough to be touched and changed by the Old God. And corruption ensues

As for the Nerubians, I don't think that Yogg-Saron ever had any real influence over them. I'm sure that they would have come across his 'forgotten ones' or 'faceless ones' while building their new city, but from what I have read is that the Nerubians lived peacefully beneath northrend in their city of Azjol-Nerub until the War of the Spider. From there, Nerzul would kill nearly all of them and raise them as his own army, one of the first and most substantial swells to the scourge army.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Deathbrood
    From my understanding of the lore, C'thun was only able to corrupt the Silithids after they had founded the southern city of Ahn'Qiraj, after the trolls split the Aqir Empire. Ahn'Qiraj was build down beneath the surface of Azeroth by the Silithids per C'thun's maddening whispers until they were deep enough to be touched and changed by the Old God. And corruption ensues

As for the Nerubians, I don't think that Yogg-Saron ever had any real influence over them. I'm sure that they would have come across his 'forgotten ones' or 'faceless ones' while building their new city, but from what I have read is that the Nerubians lived peacefully beneath northrend in their city of Azjol-Nerub until the War of the Spider. From there, Nerzul would kill nearly all of them and raise them as his own army, one of the first and most substantial swells to the scourge army.
    Ah nice, I like that. I guess you could say the Aqir felt the taint from the start, i mean, they wanted to extinguish all life but themselves (hello armageddon). So they split before they fall under C'thuns sway fully, then founded Ahn'Qiraj and Azjol Nerub. As you said, they probably built AQ to get close enough to be touched by C'thun.

As for the Nerubians, I remember reading Ner'zul had trouble converting them, being resitant to plague and Mind control, and therfore, leading to him raising their corpses.
    Is it possible, since they travelled so far away from C'thun, grew a resilience to his maddening whispers?
    And as to the forgotten ones resembling C'thun, they could have followed or been with the Nerubians from the start, but the Nerubians shook free of their control, and 'forgot' them. Did C'thun possibly get into contact with Yogg saron this way?
    With that forgotten one resembling C'thun in WC3:TFT being guarded by faceless...

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Xcruiser
    Here's a post I made that explains this more in detail with some speculation on my part:http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-...02/#msg2722502
    Interesting. I guess you could explain the Faceless in OK maybe as the original Aqir that went north that stayed loyal to C'thun, or to Old Gods in general.

15+ Year Old Account

Aas far as i know, The Quiraji were created from the Aqir or Sillithid via old god intervention. The cites of AZ and AQ were created melleniums ago by those races, but when it says "The great fortress city of Ahn'Qiraj was created in southern Silithus to house their growing armies and prepare for the coming of C'Thun" It most likely reffers to the Temple of AQ, as opposed to the Ruins that have been taken over by Quiraji.

First, Silithids origin is, itself, disputed. Blizzard hasn't really said whether they come from Azeroth originally, were a Titan creation (or perhaps mishap!), or arrived on Azeroth via something similar to the Burning Legion or even the Orcs, from another world. Either way, they were the first.

Nerubians (Split off from the Aqir) --- [ Founding of Azjol-Nerub ] ---- [ War with both the Scourge and Yogg-Saron's Faceless Ones, which
    | fractures their defenses, making them lose Azjol'Nerub/the war ]
    Silithid ---- Aqir --- [ War with the Trolls]-----|
    |
    Aqir ---- [ Founding of An'Qiraji ] --- Qiraji [ Corruption by C'thun ] ---- [ Attempted the coming of C'Thun ]
    World-Shaper
    Lore Master
    Universe Creator

At your service.

10+ Year Old Account

hmm its strange

my guess is the reason the nerubians were never fully under yoggs control was because he was in ulduar and as for c'thun he was thought to be dead so he was able to control the silithid