The Mighty Socket Bonus

As a prot warrior what is the bonus that is worth gemming for? and for clarification i know dodge point for point is better than parry slighty but does str stam gemming ever become better than gemming for avoidance to meet a socket bonus?

thank you for the help in advance
    Im a wawiur
    http://stompingnerds.blogspot.com/ ill blog about what you want
    wish my post count was as high as yours

Deleted
    Generally the only non-blue, non-meta gems viable for Prot PvE are:

(+10 Agility, +15 Stamina) Shifting Dreadstone
    (+10 Expertise, +15 Stamina) Guardian's Dreadstone
    (+10 Hit Rating, +15 Stamina) Vivid Eye of Zul

Don't gem for Strength as a tank: It contributes little to your block value and provides much less threat than Expertise and Hit Rating. The Shifting Dreadstone is probally the best gem overall for red sockets simply because it grants both avoidance and armor (which also contributes to your EH). Don't forget that Agility scales with BoK as well.

As for what socket bonuses are worth gemming for: I generally wouldn't grab anything other than + Stamina unless the bonus is unusually high. A lot of people simply grab the +9 Stamina or above socket bonuses and leave the rest. There is no wrong answer however, it's mostly up to personal preferance and the content you are tanking.
    Last edited by mmocb907825fbc; 2010-06-20 at 09:39 AM.

USe a bit of math when you socket for bonuses. if gemming for the bonus gives you close to equal or better stamina than gemming straight stam then go for it - aka 12 stam bonus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also gem for what you need.

Example

Your boots have a 6 stam bonus and a yellow and blue socket. Blue socket is obviously stam but since you need more hit rating a Vivid Eye of Zul (hit/stam) would be fine as the loss in stamina is minimal

bonuses like 4 dodge and anything truly trival should be avoided like a disease

Deleted
    Personally, if I can get a +12 or +9 stam bonus by using 1 non-blue gem, I do it. For reds I use agi/stam, but dodge/stam should be an equally good option, for yellows I use def/stam, unless I've dropped crazily low on hit for some reason.

Exactly word for word of what Iyona said is how I do it and I think it is currently the best way to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Davantius View Post
    Generally the only non-blue, non-meta gems viable for Prot PvE are:

(+10 Agility, +15 Stamina) Shifting Dreadstone
    (+10 Expertise, +15 Stamina) Guardian's Dreadstone
    (+10 Hit Rating, +15 Stamina) Vivid Eye of Zul
    It depends, sometimes you might pick up the (+10 Agility, +15 Stamina) or the (+10 Defense Rating, +15 Stamina), depending on your current stats/gear-set.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xheoul View Post
    Send that bitch a smiley face...Bitches loooove smilie faces.

agreed with Iyona and JustintimeSS all the way !

IMO go for 1 Exp/Stam or Dodge/Stam gem and 30 stamina in every other slot.