Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Levelling, you will aggro. Just roll as MM/SV and nuke it.

At 80, and with some gear, you will over aggro your pet. Why? Because blizzard hates our pets when it comes to allowing it to survive or be useful for soloing.

The best thing you can do is MD your pet all the time, and FD when you got aggro.
    Last edited by Daginni; 2010-06-14 at 07:53 PM.

As soon as my hunter got to Northrend at 70, his faithful Raptor could no longer keep aggro for squat. I had to switch to a Tenacity pet, which was sad because I'm not too fond of any of them. I just thought it was strange that he'd gone all those levels without problems and suddenly had to switch.
    No surrender! 70 Vanguard - The Star Forge

#showtooltip Misdirection
    /cast [target=focus, help] Misdirection
    /cast [target=focustarget, help] Misdirection
    /cast [target=target, help] Misdirection
    /cast [target=targettarget, help] Misdirection
    /cast [target=pet, nodead, exists] Misdirection

the ultimate MD macro.

@ OP: your pet will rarely be able to hold aggro in Northrend. Go get some end-70 gear and 2 shot mobs with Serpent Sting > Chim Shot. That's mt advice.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never had a problem leveling as a BM Hunter. Not sure if that's what you want to here though.

10+ Year Old Account

Nitpicking:

Actually wolves do not have the highest damage output. The 320 extra AP shout increases YOUR damage the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Daginni View Post
    At 80, and with some gear, you will over aggro your pet. Why? Because blizzard hates our pets when it comes to allowing it to survive or be useful for soloing.

The best thing you can do is MD your pet all the time, and FD when you got aggro.
    I think it is less about hate and more about fear >.>;; They are afraid that if our pets function as self-sufficient tanks then we'd just go on autopilot and not actually "play" the game. I admit that if my pet could easily keep itself alive without me needing to do anything, it might be tempting to park myself somewhere with a decent number of mob spawns, set my pet to agressive and let it farm exp for me while I alt-tab and watch a movie ^^;; I probably wouldn't do that myself since I would lose all the loot/skins from the mobs the pet kills, but a lot of people would.

You also have to think of this: If our pet is able to tank a mob while we solo and is able to hold it while we go all out dpsing, what is there to stop it from "stealing" a tank's group spot from a raid or dungeon? My tanking pet on live servers is uncrittable, has as much HP as I do (slightly more with every possible HP buff) and can tank LK heroics without much problem if the rest of the group cooperates and stays mindful that the tank is not actually a player. I can understand the fear that Blizz feels when the issue of buffing our pets so they have zero issues holding agro against us. It should be a give/take relationship between hunter/pet. We should have to remain aware of agro levels while soloing because failure to do so when you enter a group means that someone is gonna die >.>

--------
    If you spec a bear for dps and agro, and mostly ignore survivability, you shouldn't have as many problems with your pet holding agro. Something like http://www.wowhead.com/petcalc#0Rd0h0Gzb0oz should probably work for you, just make sure to cast Mend Pet when you need to ^^