Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    There are really two issues here..

What can he tank? and realistically with all the reliance on gear score what dungeons does he have a chance to get invites for?

With 25 percent buff he can easily tank most of the easy modes in ICC, however.. have fun getting into an ICC pug, as pug leaders always seem to want a ridiculously overly high GS number

If he's a good tank he can tank the first half of ICC10.

Quote Originally Posted by Glyngaris View Post
    If you are a good tank you can tank up to Ulduar 10 fairly easily.

---------- Post added 06-22-2010 at 04:00 AM ----------

Rhys said ToC and ICC but if you are at 30k hp with 4.5k you are stacking stam....thats ok for lower instances but for icc you will want more mitigation gems.

I tanked all of ICC10 except frost wing and LK on my 4380gs warrior, including both valanar and taldaram at the same time in princes (did awesome on the cd management + luck but big props to the heals) the 20% buff makes things very easy.

PS: Gearscore sucks, I don't use it but brought a 5450-something GS (according to other guildies) warlock to a ToC10 for the weekly... he wasn't pulling more than 2k.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnan View Post
    All you need is people who know what the fuck to do.

Our alt pugs cleared 9/12 normal ICC the first week we tried it, most of us had a mix of blues and the easy epics (ICC5 HC and badgeloot)
    I think both our tanks had somewhere between 4.2 and 4.5k GS. It's not just about the gear ya know.

20% buff says hello.
    And you're assuming that he knows what to do and that everyone in his group knows what to do. I didn't read anywhere that he was planning to go with a guild alt run, do you know the difference that kind of coordination makes?

It's lazy to try to run a top tier raid when you could easily get upgrades in heroics. I won't stand for people to promote laziness, and I certainly wouldn't bring your 4.2k GS tank to an ICC run when there is a line a half mile long of decent to good tanks with massively better gear than that. If you were worth my time you would know how to get better gear through gold/badges/5 man instances. In my guild when a new alt dings he's usually got 4.2k that same day via crafters, BoEs, and honor gear (don't knock the wrathful cloaks). Give the person a couple days and they're usually about 5k.

Rhys said ToC and ICC but if you are at 30k hp with 4.5k you are stacking stam....thats ok for lower instances but for icc you will want more mitigation gems.
    1) There are no real mitigation gems, only avoidance (they really are not the same)
    2) Stamina stacking is still the way to go all the way up to LK HC25

Avoidance is nice to have, but you don't socket for it, unless the socket bonus provides enough stamina.
    It's better to being able to take 3 hits in a row, than die to RNG because your avoidance failed to avoid 2 hits in a row.

If anything, you stack armor from trinkets/gearpieces to reduce the actual damage you take. But this is at higher gearlevels and ICC HC, don't bother to much with pure armor items untill you reach at least 40k hp unbuffed.

---------- Post added 06-22-2010 at 01:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fornaw View Post
    And you're assuming that he knows what to do and that everyone in his group knows what to do. I didn't read anywhere that he was planning to go with a guild alt run, do you know the difference that kind of coordination makes?

It's lazy to try to run a top tier raid when you could easily get upgrades in heroics. I won't stand for people to promote laziness, and I certainly wouldn't bring your 4.2k GS tank to an ICC run when there is a line a half mile long of decent to good tanks with massively better gear than that. If you were worth my time you would know how to get better gear through gold/badges/5 man instances. In my guild when a new alt dings he's usually got 4.2k that same day via crafters, BoEs, and honor gear (don't knock the wrathful cloaks). Give the person a couple days and they're usually about 5k.
    I agree, don't get me wrong. But -if- he knows what he is doing, I couldn't care less if he had 5k or 4.5k gearscore. Saying it's lazy to try and tank a raid when he doesn't have all badge items is silly. If I spot a raid forming in between emblem farming on my alts, I'm going to give it a shot aswell. If you won't take him in, that's fair enough. I'm sure others will though.
    Last edited by Arachnan; 2010-06-22 at 01:36 PM.
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."

4500gs for ICC10 can be ok with good healers.
    With pugs, its taking chances. That is why pugs want higher gearscore to compensate for bad playstyle.

But go for ToC before, and up your gearscore. Go VoA, see if you get lucky on free PvE loot. Go farm some frost badges, get ToC items too if you don't have all from the heroic 5 man badges.

Deleted
    Totc and onyxia with ease, try icc10

The EU guild Undergeared from Greedy Goblin has done the first wing + princes + dreamwalker and survived to the enrage of Festergut in ICC-10 man with only blue gear, a gearscore of 3300 or so I beleive. I am pretty sure you can tank ICC-10 if gemmed / enchanted properly and have people that know how to play.

ToC, VoA.

That's what you are capable off.

Heroics.

That's what most of the WoW community want you to tank.

Good for you, you crafted gear, want a cookie?
    That's not what were talking about here.
    It's not lazy, in fact, its more than possible, specially in ICC.
    Stop relating gearscore in ICC, its retarded.
    No one should care if you can pull your weight, there's a 20% buff in there now for crying out loud.
    Its NOT hard, nor should it even really be considered top tier content.
    Numerous pugs can at least do 10/12 ICC without sneezing.
    Ulduar is still harder than ICC.

He just needs to find a solid group willing to give him a chance.
    He shouldnt have any problems with the fights where bosses hit hard if he can time his cooldowns, and healers are semi decent.
    It's not his gear that will affect the group, its the other people in the group as well.
    People forego group makeup or group synergy to blame on wiping and always point towards the lowest geared player.
    It's sickening.

We are kinda at an odd spot. With the 25% buff that should be live today it's almost easier to tank ICC 10 than it would be to go for ToC 10/25 to try to gear up for it from raids. That 25% buff adds a lot of EH which is pretty useful. It's not the same as a tank who was at that unbuffed when ICC10 first came out because you are definitely going to have lower armor mitigation and probably be missing other stats too but it still helps.

With that said 4.5kgs would seem to still be missing a fair bit of easily obtainable gear for upgrades. My Dk who recently hit 80 is up to 4.8gs now and still has 3 slots that could be upgraded with badge gear. This doesn't include any crafted 245 or higher gear yet either. Just 232 4 piece tier, 245 badge piece and as much 232/219 gear as I've been able to farm up in 5 mans. Work on finishing that up and then start looking for ICC10/ToC 25.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnan View Post
    1)There are no real mitigation gems
    Stamina and Agility, Stamina.

Quote Originally Posted by Revitalize View Post
    Good for you, you crafted gear, want a cookie?
    That's not what were talking about here.
    It's not lazy, in fact, its more than possible, specially in ICC.
    Stop relating gearscore in ICC, its retarded.
    No one should care if you can pull your weight, there's a 20% buff in there now for crying out loud.
    Its NOT hard, nor should it even really be considered top tier content.
    Numerous pugs can at least do 10/12 ICC without sneezing.

He just needs to find a solid group willing to give him a chance.
    He shouldnt have any problems with the fights where bosses hit hard if he can time his cooldowns, and healers are semi decent.
    It's not his gear that will affect the group, its the other people in the group as well.
    People forego group makeup or group synergy to blame on wiping and always point towards the lowest geared player.
    It's sickening.
    It's that attitude that I cannot stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevet View Post
    Stamina and Agility, Stamina.
    Stamina is not mitigation, it is effective health. There are exactly 4 types of mitigation in this game, Block, Armor, Abilities and Talents. I'm nearly certain nobody thinks you can gem for Abilities and Talents (technically you can gem to increase your IBF as a DK up to a point), gemming Strength for Block or Agi for armor is generally a very poor idea.
    Last edited by Fornaw; 2010-06-22 at 04:31 PM.

It's that attitude that I cannot stand.
    What attitude?
    Either you misread it, or you're just over-exaggerating the difficulty of ICC.

I said if he can pull his weight, as is do his job, no one should care.

Quote Originally Posted by Carine Bloodhoof View Post
    Hi, please dont flame/troll me.
    But I was wondering what raids should I try to go after at 4500 GS nearly 30k unbuffed and about 33k raidbuffed?
    Thanks anyway
    methinks you aren't itemized correctly and/or gemmed and enchanted correctly if you're only 30k unbuffed.

my 4.5k gs paladin is at 37k unbuffed.

and add to what others have said, icc10 is completely doable if you're gemmed, enchanted, etc... correctly, and if you know the fights. ICC10, esp isn't hard on tanking skills, just know when and how to tank and what to expect. Just did it last night and was 10/12. I was ot btw, mt was a dk at 4.8k.
    Last edited by anyaka21; 2010-06-22 at 08:23 PM.

I hope that's some sort of joke. ICC is all about armor and stamina. Mitigation(other than armor, which you can't gem for) is pretty much useless there thanks to Chill of the Throne and how hard the bosses hit. Gemming for mitigation(which, again, you can't really do; I'm going to assume you meant avoidance) or avoidance with bosses that hit like some of the ICC bosses hit just causes for lots of spike damage which is what kills 99.999% of tanks who do dumb things like gem for avoidance over stamina.
    Last edited by nnelson54; 2010-06-22 at 08:33 PM.

Farm hcs until you get full T9 and offset pieces ( rings, trinkets etc ). Then you can start thinking about icc10 and toc25. Until then, there is really no point you should bother with any raids.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

Ok, I'll admit it. I laughed.

What, exactly, is a mitigation gem and why would you want one? The primary mitigation stat is armor which is absolutely worthless against any form of magical attack, of which there are many that tanks will be eating in ICC.

No matter your gear level, no matter what you are tanking, no matter what, you gem for stamina. Always. Always always always always always. ALWAYS.

That said, with a 4500 GS you should be tanking heroics and getting crafted gear or BOEs from the AH or your own materials. Everything else is a waste of time or you aren't geared enough for it. You certainly aren't geared for ICC no matter what anyone else has said in this thread.

---------- Post added 06-22-2010 at 11:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    First problem is you know what your GS is. It's the biggest hindedrance the game has known in Wrath. Second problem is you came to this message board to get advice based on information that isn't actually helpful. Your gear doesn't matter much. Catanowplx pointed out the undergeared project. Prime example. You need to quantify your skill, not your gear. If you're a good player do icc 10 or 25. If you're a bad player do Uld or ToC. Gear is the end result of raiding, not the determinging factor on what raids to do.
    Your first problem shows a lot of ignorance. On my realm, Blackrock, if you do not know your gearscore, you will never even get a response when you whisper a raid leader forming a pug. You can hate GS all you want but the reality is that the VAST majority of players love it and use it for everything. So you are actually acting like a lunatic.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkforCalde View Post
    You certainly aren't geared for ICC no matter what anyone else has said in this thread.
    Hello, I'd like to introduce you to my friend; the ICC buff.

We did ICC 10 on a bunch of alts last week. My Holy Paladin's 4.8K gs was the highest in the raid. One tank was a Paladin with 4.3K gearscore and the other was a Druid with 4.5K. The highest DPS was a Warlock with a 4.7K gearscore and all the DPS still managed to break 8-9K on most of the fights and we killed Lich King.

The buff makes ICC a joke if you know the fights. My biggest pet peeve is that for some reason people think you need to be so well geared to do ICC 10, despite every (normal mode)boss in the instance being a joke and a faceroll with the buff, which only got made bigger this week. You can do ICC 10 with gear that you would have a hard time doing TotC 10 in with the 20% buff, I can only imagine what it's going to be like with the 25%.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revitalize View Post
    LOLWUT?????

Even Yogg + 0 is ridiculously easier than half the hard modes in ICC. Man, you are tripping. Ulduar is retardedly easy with this gear. I can and have carried people in blues doing less than 2k dps through all the hard modes there.

---------- Post added 06-22-2010 at 11:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    Hello, I'd like to introduce you to my friend; the ICC buff.

We did ICC 10 on a bunch of alts last week. My Holy Paladin's 4.8K gs was the highest in the raid. One tank was a Paladin with 4.3K gearscore and the other was a Druid with 4.5K. The highest DPS was a Warlock with a 4.7K gearscore and all the DPS still managed to break 8-9K on most of the fights and we killed Lich King.

The buff makes ICC a joke if you know the fights. My biggest pet peeve is that for some reason people think you need to be so well geared to do ICC 10, despite every (normal mode)boss in the instance being a joke and a faceroll with the buff, which only got made bigger this week. You can do ICC 10 with gear that you would have a hard time doing TotC 10 in with the 20% buff, I can only imagine what it's going to be like with the 25%.
    That's all well and good, but you are talking about alts. If someone is asking if their gearscore is good enough for raids, you know they have zero experience and that they will not be getting in a group full of experienced people.

When I put together an ICC 10 man group, I only do it hard mode and I only bring people with 5.7k+. I am much more lenient than most groups. Most groups won't bring people under 5.8k for hardmodes, preferably 6k+.

And one final note, I don't believe you for a second man. Not for a second.