Warrior vs DK tank

Hello,
    I currently have a level 55 warrior which is (for now) destined to become a tank. But I am thinking of instead switch to a DK (to tank too). I need your advices to make a choice between both, like positive points for a warrior/death knight, negatives, etc.

Thx

Be a dk tank they are trolls and you can join me.

Im going to troll you and you are gonna like it!

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do not switch to a dk please, ur only lvl 55 and you wouldan't know what your doing, lvl ur warrior.
    Here's my character,im 12 years old. All kids that play wow aren't bad
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n=Cocoabutterz

10+ Year Old Account
    Warrior all the way. This world has so many Death Knights now there's no point in another one. Trust me, don't make a Death Knight your main unless you plan on being godly and reading up all you can about playing one.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    By the time you're 80 and geared enough for ICC cata will be out soon. No one can predict cata's best tank yet.

Warriors have so much more potential. They're also, by far, my favorite tanking class. I've got all 4 tanks 80, and warrior definitely takes the cake. And they use shields.
    Quote Originally Posted by Okard View Post
    they took out chill of the throne, if you havent looked. Youre going to do 30% less than youre used to.

Well its a matter of preference.

Not considering your play style, the main difference would be that warrior tanks are kind of a jack-of-all-trades type of tank (nice cds/ decent health/decent mitigation,) with lots of utility abilities(not all are used on every fight tho. some shine in particular fights, like 'safeguard' talented intervene in LK or vigilance-> taunt spamming the spirits for LK)

A DK tank has more smaller survival cooldowns and even when you're tanking you kind of feel like you are dpsing (or at least I did.)

I don't exactly know what you are looking for in a tank (If you're looking for a FOTM tank, I suggest you not because more often than not, that tank will get nerfed to be balanced out with other tanks)

Personally I love my warrior too much to tank with my death knight :P
    Last edited by BLSTMASTER; 2010-06-23 at 04:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BLSTMASTER View Post
    Well its a matter of preference.

Not considering your play style, the main difference would be that warrior tanks are kind of a jack-of-all-trades type of tank (nice cds/ decent health/decent mitigation,) with lots of utility abilities(not all are used on every fight tho. some shine in particular fights, like 'safeguard' talented intervene in LK or vigilance-> taunt spamming the spirits for LK)

A DK tank has more smaller survival cooldowns and even when you're tanking you kind of feel like you are dpsing (or at least I did.)
    and dks also have a huge amount of self-healing abilities if talented right, which will increase even further in cataclysm. i think that about covers it.

i personally prefer my dk tank though.

i like to use my strong cds and my selfhealing very often to help the healers a bit or survive while they aren't able to heal me (no other tank beats the dk on that one) and i kind of like the i'm-bringing-you-down-big-boss-sytle of the dk and some of the tools (dg, ams, dnd, it).
    the downsides are: dk tanks (well, paladin and feral tanks too) just don't have the same huge amount of useful utility tools a warrior tank has. also in some occasions you are very limited by the rune system (adds!? yeah..hf healers, i don't have runes to tank them right now!) although blizzard will try to change that in cataclysm.

if you like the big-shield-protecting-the-group-style of the warrior and want to take use of the utility a warrior can provide (uhm, k, if you don't want to, you might as well play a feral tank), you will definitely have fun to tank with.

i like both dk and warrior tanks (paladin and feral are a bit to easy to play and don't have the same amount of useful skills, even if played well), the dk is just my personal choice.

so..long story short: both warrior and dk tanks make very good tanks if played well, both are fun and challenging to play. just take the one that fits your style.
    Last edited by Sy; 2010-06-23 at 04:38 AM.

Deleted
    Warrior, kungen. /thread
    200 posts fuck yeah

dks have self healing instead of shield.

Level a paladin?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Yelling at the leaky gas tank is much less effective than patching it up.

Deleted
    DKs and Warriors have to both work somewhat harder than Bear or Paladins in order to tank effectively.

Since Blood has strong self-healing abilities and will be the Cataclysm tank-tree I'm sure the DK will be better at soloing. But the Warrior is also undergoing large changes and his future is hard to predict.

Death Knights tend to take more damage at lower gear levels. In my experience its just easier using a warrior to tank.

thx for all your answers. The reason why I was thinking to switch to a DK is the "I can solo stuff with my self heals", which warriors are limited on.

Oh, and I also have a paladin at ~50.

That will most likely be fixed in Cataclysm so the fun won't last much longer.

I would continue on the warrior they are the most well rounded of all tanks.I never really found soloing to be much of an issue as a prot warrior, you can mitagate so much damage that it doesnt matter if you cant self heal, especially on spellcasting enemies. One of my biggest beefs with death knight tanks is they have no way to reduce attack power of what they are fighting which is a rather big source of mitagation.

alright, I'll keep on leveling my warrior. Thx everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreva View Post
    One of my biggest beefs with death knight tanks is they have no way to reduce attack power of what they are fighting which is a rather big source of mitagation.
    true : /
    will change in catclysm though.
    and yes, on my icc25-geared dk tank, i can survive on bosses like rotface 10 man for about 1 minute without a healer.

Warrior. Funnest tank I've ever made tbh, and DKs are very limited by the rune system. Terrible if the fight has adds that come in midfight.
    Soviet Russia was merely a setback!

Relys Sunwalker
    Rakzor Frostwolf
    Descle Dubraig