Deleted

is my dislike of stacking effects holding me back?

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...7gall&cn=Nzall.

whether i'm prot or ret, i always have the same question. i don't like stacking trinkets and librams (organ, war token, the T10 librams), simply because any time when you aren't actively doing DPS (or, for the organ, taking damage), which can happen quite a lot in raids (e.g.: lady deathwhisper when not taking damage, festergut, putricide, saurfang, probably some other bosses for tanking, and gunship, putricide, maybe deathwhisper, beasts when bombed/massive crash'd as DPS), you lose the stacks and thus a ton of DPS/survivability. is this a justified dislike and am i better off using other items? or should i go for them anyway? i'm also not that fond of running around with a lot of different gear sets for different occasions, so i'd prefer to just have the best overall gear.

You don't need full gearsets to switch out. 1-2 extra trinkets isn't a big deal.
    If you have to stick to a single item, then it's going to depend on the encounters and how good you are at staying on targets. Nobody can give you the second part of that answer.

If you are able to stay on the targets, then stacking are generally superior. They're of course worse if you can't.

If you really want to be optimal, you'll maintain multiple trinkets and switch as necessary.

Try the fight without a trinket and see if you still kill the boss.

Care about stacking effects accordingly.

Use a stacking trinket/libram if you know you can tunnel-vision the boss or move from one mob to the next quickly.

Consider a 'use' trinket if you know that you will be fighting few mobs in bursts or waves, 'use' accordingly.

The armor from the organ is alone good enough reason to wear that trinket if you aren't in imminent danger of dieing on a boss fight (like farm content). if you are more consistently being pushed to a small fraction of your health....a more consistent HP trinket might be better,

As far a stacking stuff for ret goes make your choices based on the encounter or part of the encounter. I still use the valiance libram on putricide just because I also hate sealing with any other stack than my vengeance on that fight.

but seriously...change out stuff for different situations.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    i'm also not that fond of running around with a lot of different gear sets for different occasions, so i'd prefer to just have the best overall gear.
    There is no such thing like the best overall gear.

Maybe you should give it a shot. It's just a single click with the ingame equipment manager. For ICC I, as a tank, run with six different sets (obviously not six complete different sets). Among them a max HP Set (Rotface kiting, LK, ...), max Armor Set (Bloodqueen tanking with over 49k armor, raid buffed + potion), one Frost-Resistence Expertise Set (Sindragosa), an intermediate Set, Trash Set (with some ret gear), ...

I have an Expertise heavy Set for Halion, too.

Start with swapping your trinkets now an then, eventually you'll swap a ring or two or even some real equipmet.

I for one started after reading Pick up that Piece of Gear!

If you wonder how such sets are build in theory, there is a nice read over at maintankadin: Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets
    Last edited by mmocb7fc6c1c73; 2010-07-17 at 08:17 PM.