Poll: do you prefer mana or focus?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

do you prefer mana or focus?

do you prefer mana or focus?
    /discuss

15+ Year Old Account
    In the cookie jar. Stay The F*ck Away From It.
    I hate going OOM and then having to get a freaking 50% dmg debuff to regain it, i hope they remove that in cata, and focus overall seems ok

Not really sure what the point of asking this question is.

We are moving to focus, and any rough edges will be worked out through beta testing. At this point no amount of qq will cause blizzard to change course with this, especially since using mana has always been a sore subject with the hunter community.

It seems that the only people who even ask this question are those who are unhappy going to focus, and when you break it down, the % of hunters sad to be losing mana is quite small. Most are in the ambivelant (it's just another resource mechanic), or cautiously optimistic camps.
    Last edited by Rasseim; 2010-07-01 at 11:29 PM. Reason: grammer

Gimme a beta key, I'll let you know.

Focus seems like it will be a more constant/reliable mechanic that no other class is capable of reducing ^^ No more getting mana burned = happy hunter who can keep shooting

10+ Year Old Account
    The point is moot...Bliiz has moved to focus whether you like it or not..

IMO: I like it...makes more sense

10+ Year Old Account
    I like mana more, all it takes is a decent raid group, and you never come close to running oom, and I have insane burst. Either way, no choice.

Still wondering why autoshot uses focus. That would be like a rogue's melee swings having to use focus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by daixon View Post
    Still wondering why autoshot uses focus. That would be like a rogue's melee swings having to use focus.
    Auto-shot doesn't consume focus currently, as far as my research could tell, unless it's being changed in an upcoming build. That wouldn't make much sense, though. Most likely a mistake in the way GC worded it.

NO more fucking water in my bags, no more OOM, no more viper, no more mana drain.

Whats not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeastRivin View Post
    Auto-shot doesn't consume focus currently, as far as my research could tell, unless it's being changed in an upcoming build. That wouldn't make much sense, though. Most likely a mistake in the way GC worded it.
    "Depending on your weapon, autoshot costs can be higher than "focus dump" abilities, which clearly won't work. We're working on a DPCT priority list that makes more sense."

Reading that led me to believe it does, unless I'm mis-interpreting it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by daixon View Post
    "Depending on your weapon, autoshot costs can be higher than "focus dump" abilities, which clearly won't work. We're working on a DPCT priority list that makes more sense."

Reading that led me to believe it does, unless I'm mis-interpreting it.
    Yeah, I think it was worded badly. He probably meant "opportunity costs", because the only way auto-shots could cost more than focus dumps was if they cost 50+ focus, which would be insane.

10+ Year Old Account
    From an outside look, yes I prefer focus. Going oom so easily without a ret pally is just shit.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

I'd rather rage tbh.

1/2 the community cannot answer this poll correctly, due to the fact that they HAVE SIMPLY NOT USED FOCUS.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see myself ever going oom on my hunter, really ever, so focus will be a new and interesting thing to play around with. The only thing I don't like on my rogue is when I'm sitting there auto attacking waiting for energy, but on my hunter now, I can just lol steady to get my focus back, and feel like I'm doing something.

+1 for Blizzard for once again, making Cataclysm look awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Zurth View Post
    I'd rather rage tbh.

1/2 the community cannot answer this poll correctly, due to the fact that they HAVE SIMPLY NOT USED FOCUS.
    It would be more then half, but you can assume what focus will kind of be like seeing how close it is to rogue's energy, but with more abilities to get your focus back. It doesn't hurt to speculate, but sorry for offending you
    I'm just an ex-con trying to go straight to get my kids back

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather rage tbh.

It's pretty easy to extrapolate how focus will work based on playing a rogue and Feral and comparing the energy and focus costs of abilities.

Boomheadshot
    i would use mana because u get a lot more mana then 100 focus, its going to be hard when moves cost 50 focus and it takes half ur focus to shoot that one move.

Mana FTW, lol

I'd rather rage tbh.

I also think the people who say that the prefer focus just want something new and don't care much about what they will get.

Voted for mana.

It is obvious that Blizz does not really want to give hunters something new, they just have to because of removal rating stats like mp5, etc.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oriana View Post
    I also think the people who say that the prefer focus just want something new and don't care much about what they will get.

Voted for mana.

It is obvious that Blizz does not really want to give hunters something new, they just have to because of removal rating stats like mp5, etc.
    I disagree with you, when the game first came out hunters used focus, (in the alpha anyways)

Quote Originally Posted by Oriana View Post
    ...because hunters have ever favored mp5 gear.

No, Blizz is doing this as a huge gift to hunters. Ever since we've had mana bars, we've had mana-related issues. I can't speak much for Classic, but I know we all loved DPSing in (old) viper and drinking pots every two minutes in BC

The real problem in WotLK has to do with mana regen mechanics and viper. Since viper cuts our damage in half for its duration, the devs have to either balance us assuming that we will sometimes have to switch to viper (making us op if we don't have to) or balance us assuming that we won't ever need to switch to viper (making us weak if we do have to). To further compound the situation, whether or not we have to use viper is pretty much dependent on whether or not we have a pally judging wisdom for us. And paladins are the ONLY class that brings that mechanic.

The devs have tried a number of different solutions to address our mana problems, and they are solving them for good, by taking away our mana. Viva focus!