Gemming help (probably more than that >_>)

Hi, I recently started casually raiding with my rogue, and need some advice on what gems I should be getting.
    Someone advised me that ArP was a huge dps increase if I'm able to get 1400 rating, which I think I am at when my scorpion trinket procs- People also suggested that I gem straight AP and Ap/hit where it applies.. I'm unsure what is the best course of action; wouldn't it be more valuable to gem agility? as I'm also aware of crit cap- which I believe I'm not currently at at my gear level

There is also a matter of rotation; I heard that rupture was recently more viable due to the capability to crit- is it worth using this in my rotation?
    As of now I usually start by getting SND up, then popping BF and KS; after those are finished, I use AR and just spam SS with 5p Evis; repeating SND when it comes down; and doing 5 ss to evis again and again

My rogue is on Anvilmar US - named Shokushu

by the gods help me
    Last edited by Diedra; 2010-07-29 at 06:02 AM.

rupture slightly pulls ahead of evisc only spec, and i would recommend it as evisc only spec requires a lot of armorpen to do a lot of damage whereas rupture doesnt scale with armorpen so its more suited for people with lower level gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Maleficious View Post
    Combat wasn't good before 4.0.1 too, it was only the best spec on 3.2, also its boring as hell...

mut = AP combat = arp
    the soft cap with scorpid is 51% i think, means u are capped when trink is up and in my experience rogues crits alot so u will have lots of uptime

the normal rotation i know is opning with SS pop SnD 5cp evis 1cp SnD, but the rotation is much more less forgiving if u have lagg or cant generate cps fast
    so the 1 i should use in early game is SS to 3 cp, SnD, 5cp evis, thats makes ur rotation a little more fogiging if u fail at some point
    Last edited by Hemlia; 2010-07-29 at 10:56 AM. Reason: adding more stuffz

in abscence of this question thread - I actually went and grabbed aldriana's spreadsheet, which told me to gem agility majority gems and enough arp gems for the arp cap with trink..
    since I'm not crit capped, this would be the way to go yes?

the rotation indicated on the sheet told me to use a low rupture one- keeping priority on SnD but tossing 5 point ruptures and weaving 5 point eviserates..
    I ended up using rupture glyph (with killing spree and sinister strike glyphs respectively)
    and picking up the blood splatter talent instead of the imp poison and vile poison ones..
    thanks for the replies thus far -

I always seem to have a problem with energy , and when to use my cooldowns, I heard that if you do rupture spec, you need to get 100% uptime with SND and Rupture

wish there was program similar to Ret Paladin rotation priority helpers, but alas the dps cycling of both classes are vastly different
    Last edited by Diedra; 2010-07-29 at 01:06 PM.

Ruptureless rotation is "superior" because it is easier to play.

Play around with the spreadsheet a bit, change the talents, gems and the rotation to see what yields the most dps. I find it wierd that gemming half arpen half agi would give you the most benefit. Just gem arpen/agi all the way, although I'd go gem arpen all the way because you'll only replace the agi gems as you get better gear.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post

Play around with the spreadsheet a bit, change the talents, gems and the rotation to see what yields the most dps. I find it wierd that gemming half arpen half agi would give you the most benefit. Just gem arpen/agi all the way, although I'd go gem arpen all the way because you'll only replace the agi gems as you get better gear.
    Not only that it's easier to play, but with 100% arp eviscerate might pull ahead, especially if there's any kind of adds anywhere to time your bladeflurry with.

Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    ...ye thats why
    Quote Originally Posted by Maleficious View Post
    Combat wasn't good before 4.0.1 too, it was only the best spec on 3.2, also its boring as hell...

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonaire View Post
    Not only that it's easier to play, but with 100% arp eviscerate might pull ahead, especially if there's any kind of adds anywhere to time your bladeflurry with.
    It definitely doesn't pull ahead of rupture on single target. However, the BF situation is true. What has more of an impact is if you're fighting mobs where rupture can't tick out all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    It definitely doesn't pull ahead of rupture on single target. However, the BF situation is true. What has more of an impact is if you're fighting mobs where rupture can't tick out all the way.
    At arp cap, ruptureless WILL pull ahead of rupture if you don't have mangle/trauma. That debuff is required for rupture to outscale an Arp-capped eviscerate rotation.

30% is a lot of rupture damage for eviscerate to overcome at any level of armor penetration. Conversely, not having that debuff is a huge hit to rupture's damage contribution.

I use a ruptureless rotation because at my level of arp (82% passive without food buff), the difference is quite minor since I use neither rupture nor evis glyph in 3rd slot (I use tricks glyph to increase raid dps). The rupture glyph is much better than the evis glyph, in terms of dps contribution, so not glyphing rupture hurts more on a rupture rotation than not glyphing evis on an evis rotation. Also, my guild currently has no bears, cats, or arms warriors.
    Last edited by shadowboy; 2010-07-29 at 04:00 PM.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I assume optimal raid buffs in my broad statement of "rupture is better". At any level of play where the difference between evisc and rupture matter, you're going to need mangle pretty much always. As for glyphing, rupture > TotT > evisc with full raid buffs on a target where rupture can tick out fully (in terms of optimal raid DPS).

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Yeah, I assume optimal raid buffs in my broad statement of "rupture is better". At any level of play where the difference between evisc and rupture matter, you're going to need mangle pretty much always. As for glyphing, rupture > TotT > evisc with full raid buffs on a target where rupture can tick out fully (in terms of optimal raid DPS).
    that's where you're wrong! to advise a noob, you must think like a noob & rule out all forms of assuming anything because they dunno what you know :O!
    I would agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    But but but... my brain doesn't work that way =(