Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Cataclysm graphic requirements?

Any indication on how updated the graphics requirement will be for this expansion? I've seen most of the vids and it doesn't look like much is different other than the water rendering, which can be changed.

If I know blizzard, it proberbly wont change alot, if at all, it'll just take even more advantage of the new directx11 and so forth

Isn't DX11 just for Windows 7 (and maybe vista)? if that is correct how are going to play people who still use XP (not that i care that much), I know that by this time everyone should have PC's that can handle windows 7 (or at least Vista) but there should still be some people who don't care that much and have XP

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bethofwow View Post
    Any indication on how updated the graphics requirement will be for this expansion? I've seen most of the vids and it doesn't look like much is different other than the water rendering, which can be changed.
    If your computer can handle Northrend it can handle Cata no problem

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    Only thing really changing is the water.
    Not entirelly right.. I'm fairly sure that, since they are doing a reskin of the old world anyways, they're throwing in some improved textures aswell.. And then there's the new sunflare-effect, which is going to be awesome!
    Sometimes I will log out in Roleplaying gear, so if my stats in the image below, seem ridicoulously low, then that's probably the reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn 470 View Post
    this banhammers gonna hit harder than puberty will hit justin bieber

10+ Year Old Account
    They have also upped the ground effect distance vconsole command to neally double the current maximum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghB0IqnCLHI if you don't know about the graphic console commands...

They changed the /console groundEffectDist 140 to 240 so you can see the ground effects to really far out now before it dissapears

10+ Year Old Account
    I sat two computers next to each other, one with cata beta (a lower spec computer) one with live. And the cata beta actually looked much better graphically

Whether it's the colour scheme, or what, something's changed as even places like Stormwind look SO much better now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanar View Post
    If I know blizzard, it proberbly wont change alot, if at all, it'll just take even more advantage of the new directx11 and so forth
    Think about it this way, In old world, majority of players see a huge increase in FPS. In northrend, pretty much all players see a drop in FPS due to better rendering, texturing. Its going to be like being in northrend, but across azeroth, with new water.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    Also i havnt heard much on the sunflare effect how is that on the system?
    It was in a beta-movie, can't remember where i saw it.. Anyways, if you look from behind your toon and up, against a lightsource (maybe only the sun) you can see the shadow that your toon is casting, and therefore the lightning enveloping your character.. Looked absolutely stunning!
    Sometimes I will log out in Roleplaying gear, so if my stats in the image below, seem ridicoulously low, then that's probably the reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khainos View Post
    Looked absolutely stunning!
    That it does! I'm not sure it's as taxing as shadows are though. So that's all good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fierae View Post
    That it does! I'm not sure it's as taxing as shadows are though. So that's all good.
    I think that depends whether it only applies to playable characters and NPC's.. or the environment aswell.. In a forest or similar, i could imagine it could be quite taxing.. not sure, though..

In other news: Finally a member!

10+ Year Old Account
    Just stay out of the sun and you wont have to worry about the drop in fps :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Just stay out of the sun and you wont have to worry about the drop in fps :P
    Having a drop in fps is so much more vampire-ish than sparkling..

10+ Year Old Account
    or the environment aswell.. In a forest or similar, i could imagine it could be quite taxing.. not sure, though..
    From what I've seen it's not environment as well no!

In other news: Finally a member!
    I share the sentiment, it's taken me since EU Beta PvP Server 6 to sign up... oh well!

10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't worried it was going to increase to a level I couldn't play. As it stands now, my computer is over the recommended setting for WOTLK, even though I do have some minor problems in the more congested areas of Northrend like Grizzly Hills and Sholozar Basin(depending what angle I'm flying at). But even then, my fps only goes down to about 13-14, not enough where I can't quest or anything.

So what you guys are say is that if im all ready playing with every thing at the lowest settings but ground cluter and radius or what ever its call, ill be all right for cata?

I'm more concerned about the CPU requirements TBH.

3 people play WoW in my household. Our main PCs will be fine, but I think it may put the spare WoW machine out of the picture.

10+ Year Old Account
    the whole dx11 thing is stupid -.-

*mainly because i only have a 285gtx ocx *

Go buy a new graphics card that is only a tiny bit better and in some cases worse, that won't boost performance even a little bit just so you can view wow at its best...?

I'm saving up for a nice new graphics card of the Geforce 400ish variety specifically for Cataclysm. Also I'm tired of frate rate chugs during boss fights.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow